Transfer Rule That Has Helped UConn Stirs Debate (D. Amore) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer Rule That Has Helped UConn Stirs Debate (D. Amore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's the thing.. Graduates aren't transfers.

When you finish your undergrad and went on to an MBA or professional school, did you say that you were transferring? Nope you graduated and moved on. You didn't worry about whether your new school would accept your credits, they didn't need to you already had your degree.

So the "transfer rules" are absolutely irrelevant to grads who have eligibility left.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's the thing.. Graduates, aren't transfers.

When you finish your undergrad and went on to an MBA or professional school, did you say that you were transferring? Nope you graduated and moved on. You didn't worry about whether your new school would accept your credits, they didn't need to you already had your degree.

So the "transfer rules" are absolutely irrelevant to grads who have eligibility left.
Exactly, even if you stay at the same school you need to apply to the graduate school. You don't necessarily get into a graduate program just because you were an under grad there.

Reaction Score
Re: K and Calipari,
If you had 2-5 new McD's every year would you want other teams to add talent that might compete with you in the tourney? They don't really need to do this but we filled some missing pieces and who knows, maybe a threat in a key game in March. Should we play them we'll be hearing about it again.

Reaction Score
Bilas was great as always. RJ Evans and Tyler Murphy did a great job articulating how it benefits the athletes. College coaches are such leaches for the most part. Always in favor of the rules benefiting them and their programs and not the kids who aren't making 6 and 7 figure salaries like they do.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Bilas was great as always. RJ Evans and Tyler Murphy did a great job articulating how it benefits the athletes.
And there in lies the reason why it will probably be restricted at some point by the NCAA going forward. They are all for the benefit of the athlete. Wait...What?

Reaction Score
LMFAO! Gimmie a frikking break! These coaches are full of it! I tell you what theyre afraid of. Theyre afraid that a team in there conference who isnt competing suddenly pulls in 2,3 or even 4 Grad players and get really good really fast. Just look at Uconn. We pulled in 2 guys a lot of people wanted and we went from a team not mentioned to possibly pre season top20 or even 15 and on the rise. This is a way to get really good really quick. Do you guys understand how loud the whining is going to get if we win 30 games and get to the FF4 or win it all?!!!:eek:

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
They should call the new rule Kromah's Law after one rebound and two free throws in the championship game in the last minutes.

The mathematical equation for the new law: K + 1(rebound) x 2(free throws) = 0 x 5(5th year grads) -1(UConn title) divided by the square root of 2A(A standing for balloon knots(Calipari and Coach K)) x N(Nike Deal) + P-5.

K+1 x 2= 0 x 5 divided by the square root of 2A x N + P-5.

This equation will always turned out to be the equivalent of a jar of vaseline in net grams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LMFAO! Gimmie a frikking break! These coaches are full of it! I tell you what theyre afraid of. Theyre afraid that a team in there conference who isnt competing suddenly pulls in 2,3 or even 4 Grad players and get really good really fast. Just look at Uconn. We pulled in 2 guys a lot of people wanted and we went from a team not mentioned to possibly pre season top20 or even 15 and on the rise. This is a way to get really good really quick. Do you guys understand how loud the whining is going to get if we win 30 games and get to the FF4 or win it all?!!!:eek:

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't think the NCAA can take another unexpected UConn championship.

Reaction Score
Its a threat and an X-factor that these top recruiting schools and the NCAA dont want to deal with. Any given year 1 or 2 grad transfers and morph a school that otherwise might have been on the outside looking in. These are players that are willing to work hard and do the little things and it makes a huge impact.

The thing that kills me is this is just a bunch of coaches that are scared of a little competition. Its not even about talent. These grad transfers usually at best a fringe NBA guys. These are kids who didnt prove within their first 4 years of college that they are NBA talents for whatever reason, and this 5th year is just an opportunity to play in a better system and get more exposure to prove they belong in the pros. Lets see who tends to be more talented? 1 and done players like Okafor and Carl Towns or 5th year transfers? Name a single 5th year transfer that has been a top 5 pick ever? Maybe there is 1 but i cant think of him. What is the highest a 5th year transfer has ever even been drafted? I'm not trying to slam 5th year transfers, but on a raw talent level they are a step behind MOST 1 and dones (some 1 and dones are complete flops obviously). So how does that make it an unfair advantage? If anything its slightly leveling the playing field, its still mostly an up hill battle for the team with the grad transfer if you ask me. Uconn against Kentucky is a prime example, all of the odds were in Kentucky's favor. You'd hear they are just too talented, blah blah blah. Looks like verteran leadership means something too. So how do we fix this "unfair" advantage? Change the rules...

I agree with the poster that said schools should be penalize for 1 and dones and maybe even others that leave school early for the draft. Whats good for the goose.... Lets get it all out there.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Its not really a transfer. The kid graduates and gets accepted as a graduate student at a new school. Seems like they're deflecting the issues with 1 and dones.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Anyone else notice the tinge of irony that Trajan Langdon was a 5th year player in 1998/99? Begs the question if Coach K prevented him from "transferring" due to fairness. Remember, at that point, no one had left a K coached team before their 4 years were exhausted.

Reaction Score
Anyone else notice the tinge of irony that Trajan Langdon was a 5th year player in 1998/99? Begs the question if Coach K prevented him from "transferring" due to fairness. Remember, at that point, no one had left a K coached team before their 4 years were exhausted.

11th overall pick!!! Is he the greatest 5th year transfer of all time? So Coach K is still bitter from 1999, and Cal is bitter from his most recent finals loss. Sounds like poor sports to me.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Ok, let's go ahead and force them to sit a year. But, first, if kids being real students is the goal then we should also change the rules on players leaving to play professionally. I say that any kid who leaves for any reason other than transferring should count against a team's total scholarships until the year he would have graduated. If a one and done leaves, the team loses that scholarship for another three years. If they leave after two years, you lose a scholarship for another two and if they leave after three, you lose it for one more year. This "on track to graduate" thing is BS to keep teams like puke and uk from rapidly dropping to zero available scholarships. them! If you take 4 or 5 one and dones for three consecutive years, you should have a total disaster year of only walk ons. Honestly, that would only be fair.

The problem with continuing to count the schollies for 4 years even after a player leaves early is that it will take opportunities out of the pool of available schollies for incoming freshmen, and ultimately it hurts the athlete. I'm not sure what this number would be on an annual basis, but I'm sure it would be quite significant.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You have to love the NCAA making this an issue after the recent exposure of long term academic fraud at Syracuse and UNC. The general public has to be incredibly stupid, naive or apathetic to observe this and not question how one and done players or the sham education at the undergraduate level for athletes is not a priority for the NCAA.

That is until you realize that the APR was a bogus attempt to fix the problem that athletes are not receiving a proper college education. It was deflection that also satisfied a vendetta for Emmert. This graduate student issue is another bogus defection from the scandals. The sad thing is that it will succeed. The penalty will be to those players who have succeeded in meeting the academic requirements the NCAA purportedly is interested in. These are players who developed their abilities later in life and would like a chance to be on a team that will give them a chance to showcase that development on a national level.

I'm not concerned for UConn. I've always been confident the need for graduate 5th yrs was a short term bandage during these transition years from JC to KO. I fully expect KO's recruiting to exceed JC's.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The NCAA has bigger things to worry about than where kids who have received their degrees can continue to play basketball as they further their education. Pathetic stuff.
That is back burner stuff. Emmert would rather pick the low hanging fruit in an effort to give off the perception he is actually doing something value added. Preferred-Diety-forbid he make a tough decision that negatively impacts historically influential lords of the P-5 manner.

Reaction Score
Seth Greenberg is against the rule.

That should tell you all you need to know. That guy has literally never been right about anything in his entire life (at least since he started working at ESPN as an "analyst")

Reaction Score
If the NCA picks a fight over this, it is stupid beyond belief. What are the optics for eliminating this rule when the NCAA is defending against lawsuits?

Restrict student rights AND deemphasize academic achievement?

That's the message they want to send? Right now?

Reaction Score
We are going to be talked about all year on this I guess because we have 2 players. The problem is this, we followed the rule so why should we have to be on the defensive about it like we did something wrong? Taking a one and done knowing they have no intention of getting a college degree? Now that's something coach K and Calipari might want to defend even though they are breaking no rule.

Reaction Score
We are going to be talked about all year on this I guess because we have 2 players. The problem is this, we followed the rule so why should we have to be on the defensive about it like we did something wrong? Taking a one and done knowing they have no intention of getting a college degree? Now that's something coach K and Calipari might want to defend even though they are breaking no rule.

If they blast us for it, they have to blast Louisville louder. Louisville should be a bigger target, since Bruiser Flint has been publicly bitching since Lee left, whereas our two players are Miller, an Ivy Leaguer who wouldn't have been allowed to play for Cornell anyway, and Gibbs, who was leaving an obviously toxic situation. Lee and Lewis were just smaller conference guys looking for a bigger stage.

Reaction Score
Any way to read this article without a Hartford Courant subscription?

Reaction Score
11th overall pick!!! Is he the greatest 5th year transfer of all time? So Coach K is still bitter from 1999, and Cal is bitter from his most recent finals loss. Sounds like poor sports to me.

He didn't transfer. He played 4 seasons at Duke, sat out one due to injury.

Reaction Score

He wouldn't want to transfer, they were preseason 1 or 2 and he was a featured player (The Alaskan Assassin). They dominated the season like no other, and their season was considered a failure, cuz the "greatest team of all time" lost in the finals:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom