Transfer Rule That Has Helped UConn Stirs Debate (D. Amore) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Transfer Rule That Has Helped UConn Stirs Debate (D. Amore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He wouldn't want to transfer, they were preseason 1 or 2 and he was a featured player (The Alaskan Assassin). They dominated the season like no other, and their season was considered a failure, cuz the "greatest team of all time" lost in the finals:D

So your answer is: No, you don't see the irony...

UConn was arguably just as dominant and in a tougher league. The ACC was down that year.

Reaction Score
So your answer is: No, you don't see the irony...

UConn was arguably just as dominant and in a tougher league. The ACC was down that year.

I'm sorry, Husky25, I don't know what you're trying to say about the irony, please elaborate for me, if you would.

And no UConn didn't dominate like Duke did (25 ppg. margin of victory, + 10 rebound margin, 50% fg, 39% 3pt fg, 32 straight wins going into the final). They blew everyone out of there, we had to grind it out. I'll give you that our conference was better, it was a very down year for the ACC, however, the Big East wasn't like it had been from 2005 on.

Still, I always felt that UConn could (and possibly would) beat Duke if they met in the Final Four (the media hype was with Duke and not us). We were the better team, just not on paper, and just not in as much a dominating fashion.

Reaction Score

I think the real issue for the Squid and K is that they see a talented team bring in a one year player who is a good/solid player, and experienced and feel that can be an issue for a team of one and dones, in that they have never played a full season, never played in an NCAA tourney.

A good experienced player can be key in March Madness. See Lasan Kromah. Never mind a good, talented team adding more than one.

Reaction Score
I think the real issue for the Squid and K is that they see a talented team bring in a one year player who is a good/solid player, and experienced and feel that can be an issue for a team of one and dones, in that they have never played a full season, never played in an NCAA tourney.

A good experienced player can be key in March Madness. See Lasan Kromah. Never mind a good, talented team adding more than one.
Never mind when those added players were far from no-names before arriving, as was Kromah.

Reaction Score

Miller and Gibbs are the type that are capable of some serious damage at crunch time, even against 5 star one and dones, and it annoys them.

Reaction Score
Oh so its only an issue when Uconn does it, I guess well just have to win it all again to really piss people off.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, Husky25, I don't know what you're trying to say about the irony, please elaborate for me, if you would.

And no UConn didn't dominate like Duke did (25 ppg. margin of victory, + 10 rebound margin, 50% fg, 39% 3pt fg, 32 straight wins going into the final). They blew everyone out of there, we had to grind it out. I'll give you that our conference was better, it was a very down year for the ACC, however, the Big East wasn't like it had been from 2005 on.

Still, I always felt that UConn could (and possibly would) beat Duke if they met in the Final Four (the media hype was with Duke and not us). We were the better team, just not on paper, and just not in as much a dominating fashion.

The ability to be a 5th year transfer has nothing to do with desire to do so. It's just an interesting footnote, given Coach K's recent thoughts on the matter. What would he have done if Langdon had wanted to transfer after the '98 season? What if Langdon wanted to, but was blocked because it would have put Duke at a competitive disadvantage? What if Coach K has been covering it up all this time (unlikely, but still...)? It's also interesting that a teammate 3 years his junior was the first Blue Devil to leave Duke early that very year.

Secondly, I said arguably. UConn had a 16 point margin of victory and played in a conference where three teams ended the regular season in the Top 10. I hardly consider that grinding it out.

The media hype was with Duke for the exact reasons you state, but Duke was young. Only Langdon and Carrawell were upper classmen contributors, but the media focused on the s3xy numbers you mentioned. All the students on campus that night took UConn and the points. The on-campus bookies took a bath if they didn't lay off.

At the end of the day, Kevin Freeman said it best, “All we had to do is win the one. So, I don’t know about the next 10 times ... I’ll take my one.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom