Transfer Rule That Has Helped UConn Stirs Debate (D. Amore) | The Boneyard

Transfer Rule That Has Helped UConn Stirs Debate (D. Amore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I laughed when I read the below sentence in the article knowing Squid is one of the biggest opponents of the rule. All those Kentucky one and done undergrads, so worried about their spring terms....

Opponents of the rule point out that unlike with undergraduates, there is nothing to keep a fifth-year transfer committed to his academic program in the spring semester, once basketball season is over.

Reaction Score
If you ever had any doubt about the Squid being one the finest ambulatory turds in all of sports, look no further. For this ass clown to comment at all on this is about as disingenuous as I can imagine. Like a p0rn star preaching abstinence or a bull shark averring an aversion to blood. This guy is filth, and makes me feel a bit ill. The sooner he moves on to whatever he's doing next, leaving only a slime trail and a stench behind, the better.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I laughed when I read the below sentence in the article knowing Squid is one of the biggest opponents of the rule. All those Kentucky one and done undergrads, so worried about their spring terms....

Opponents of the rule point out that unlike with undergraduates, there is nothing to keep a fifth-year transfer committed to his academic program in the spring semester, once basketball season is over.
I almost spit my coffee on my keyboard. A 5th year transfer probably has more incentive to commit to an academic program because, well he's going for a Masters' Degree. I love that they specifically used Kromah as an example and then Ollie stated he is coming back to school when he's done playing in Europe.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Bliss destroyed the inane arguments for changing the rule.

Reaction Score
Coach K is a farce as are all the other whiners. If you honestly believe these guys have not made a phone call on some of these guys you're nuts. This is a joke. A kid commits to a university and does his due diligence to ge his degree. Now he is intelligent enough to make a decision on whether he wants to stay and play for these coaches or move on. It's the coaches fault if they can't create the atmosphere to make them happy enough to stay. As far as the Ivy League that rule is a little fd up and that's too bad I feel for them.

But this whining by K and Squid on spring semester academics from guys who have one and done's is laughable. And Cronin, c'mon "poaching" Mick? Tell me you didn't call anyone on that transfer list you little tool?

Bravo Jay Bilas - hooray for his thoughts on this subject. Someone much smarter than Bo Ryan, K, Cronin and squid!

Reaction Score
I'm pretty confident the NCAA will do the wrong thing and "fix" this "problem". Though what they should really do is expand the rule and allow a graduate student to go to any university for any degree and play immediately, and not let schools or conferences limit it. If the coaches want to keep their players they should make staying more attractive. Bo Ryan really sounds like an idiot in the article complaining about kids wanting to play in the NCAA tournament.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Coach K is a farce as are all the other whiners. If you honestly believe these guys have not made a phone call on some of these guys you're nuts. This is a joke. A kid commits to a university and does his due diligence to ge his degree. Now he is intelligent enough to make a decision on whether he wants to stay and play for these coaches or move on. It's the coaches fault if they can't create the atmosphere to make them happy enough to stay. As far as the Ivy League that rule is a little fd up and that's too bad I feel for them.

But this whining by K and Squid on spring semester academics from guys who have one and done's is laughable. And Cronin, c'mon "poaching" Mick? Tell me you didn't call anyone on that transfer list you little tool?

Bravo Jay Bilas - hooray for his thoughts on this subject. Someone much smarter than Bo Ryan, K, Cronin and squid!
Cronin doesn't have any players that are worth "poaching". It's all sour grapes. If a kid stays the four years and has a year left of eligibility and wants to use it and still get an education why ruin that? Isn't that what we want? Kids to stay longer? Squid, K, Bo, need to man up

Reaction Score
Ok, let's go ahead and force them to sit a year. But, first, if kids being real students is the goal then we should also change the rules on players leaving to play professionally. I say that any kid who leaves for any reason other than transferring should count against a team's total scholarships until the year he would have graduated. If a one and done leaves, the team loses that scholarship for another three years. If they leave after two years, you lose a scholarship for another two and if they leave after three, you lose it for one more year. This "on track to graduate" thing is BS to keep teams like puke and uk from rapidly dropping to zero available scholarships. them! If you take 4 or 5 one and dones for three consecutive years, you should have a total disaster year of only walk ons. Honestly, that would only be fair.

Reaction Score
I almost spit my coffee on my keyboard. A 5th year transfer probably has more incentive to commit to an academic program because, well he's going for a Masters' Degree. I love that they specifically used Kromah as an example and then Ollie stated he is coming back to school when he's done playing in Europe.
This is exactly what I thought when I read this article. One thing from that article that made zero sense is how people criticize the 5th year transfers because they dont have any incentive to take their education seriously during the spring semester once the season is over. That could be said for every kid who declares for the NBA whether they are a Fr, So, Jr, or Sr.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes, we must put an end to the epidemic of college student-athletes graduating from college and pursuing graduate studies. We must limit their educational and athletic opportunities. After all, college basketball is about nothing if not integrity, right?

Gimme a farcking break.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I don't get it. After 4 years at UCONN a Master's degree from the same institution would have done nothing for me but a Masters from Yale did. This is no different. A masters degree from Cornell or from Seton Hall would be fine but neither will open any doors (talking NBA) for Miller or Gibbs. This is less of a"gaming of the system" than what Calipari and now Coach K are doing with their one and dones.

Reaction Score
This rule will get "fixed". Just look at the names behind this. The NCAA is no longer an independent organization....it is now the P5's b $@tch!

That's what is unfortunate about this. Some "5th year" kid will take it to a higher court though and that would be interesting - the argument is pro student not athlete but they are one in the same at that point right?

Reaction Score
“If this motivates more guys to graduate on time in four years, great, then we're continuing to raise the percentage of graduates,” said Stanford football coach David Shaw, who has recently lost three graduate transfers to other schools. “I don't have a problem with it. They put their time in for us and got their work done, so hey, go ahead and play somewhere else.”

Thank you Coach Shaw for not whining like the others and getting it right. Funny in this article Coach Self concerned about this yet the rumors of him poaching from a mid major are out there. Chukwu Bill, hear of him?

Reaction Score
I don't get it. After 4 years at UCONN a Master's degree from the same institution would have done nothing for me but a Masters from Yale did. This is no different. A masters degree from Cornell or from Seton Hall would be fine but neither will open any doors (talking NBA) for Miller or Gibbs. This is less of a"gaming of the system" than what Calipari and now Coach K are doing with their one and dones.

subtle;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69