Transfer portal, Spring 2022 (merged thread) | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal, Spring 2022 (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think you misunderstood my question about Aaliyah.

You noted "20-21 Caroline (6th Woman)" in your post. Wasn't that Aaliyah who won that award? This is why I asked if this was a typo.
AE did win that award but that not what I'm talking about. I should have explained better. Bolded names indicates that the player was a freshman starter for UCONN by the end of the season. . The 6th woman indicates that this player was the first player off the bench and applies to the UCONN player rotation for their Freshman season only.

Reaction Score
AE did win that award but that not what I'm talking about. I should have explained better. Bolded names indicates that the player was a freshman starter for UCONN by the end of the season. . The 6th woman indicates that this player was the first player off the bench and applies to the UCONN player rotation for their Freshman season only.
Ah. Appreciate the clarification.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This rhetoric about UCONN not playing freshman seriously needs an update because it is severely outdated. In the past 20 seasons UCONN has had a freshman starter or 6th woman in all but two seasons- (03-04 and 17-18). In 03-04 UCONN did not have any freshman on the roster. The list below also does not include Gabby Williams, Tiffany Hayes or Moriah Jefferson who were terrific contributors as freshman but did not rise to the level of 6th woman. It certainly depends on the player and the existing roster but IMO both of the Freshman coming in next season have the ability to press for starting position and be a regular part of the rotation.

02-03 Ann Strother
04-05 Ketia Swanier
05-06 Renee Montgomery
06-07 Tina Charles
07-08 Maya
08-09 Doty

09-10 Faris (6th Woman)
10-11.Dolson
10-11 Harley
11-12 KML (6th Woman)
12-13. Stewie
12-13 Morgan Tuck (6th Woman)
13-14 Saniya Chong ( (6th Woman)
14-15 Kia Nurse
15-16 KLS
15-16 Napheesa (6th Woman)
16-17 Crystal (6th Woman)
18-19 Christyn Williams
18-19 Liv (6th Woman)
19-20 Anna Makurat
19-20 Aubrey Griffin (6th Woman)
20-21 Paige
20-21 Aaliyah Edwards
20-21 Nika Muhl
21-22 Azzi Fudd
20-21 Caroline (6th Woman)
nice list - one update
08-09 Doty/Hayes (when Doty went down Hayes became the starter)
You could also add Turner and Wolff to the 02-03 year

Reaction Score
Yea...I'm sure the girls on the team would not want Cardoso and so Geno passed on her....(insert sarcasm here).
I think what happened was Dorka came first. She entered the portal and was offered and accepted before Cardoso was known to be available. She entered the portal latter, only after most of the Syracuse team left. If both had been in the portal at the same time, and both indicated an interest in Uconn, it could have been the other way around where Geno chooses Cardoso and passes on Dorka. We will never know, but I suspect if Cardoso had committed before Dorka, that Dorka probably would have lost interest in us, but apparently Cardoso was willing to consider us even with Dorka onboard.

Reaction Score
I suspect Cardoso had a peculiar experience at Syracuse where she had a lot of pressure on her to produce, but was prone to foul trouble and only averaged ~20 mins. When she got to SC, she was supporting cast, averaged ~15 mins and could develop herself. She might have had a similar experience at UConn to SC. But we ended up asking more of Dorka than was asked of Cardoso at SC.

Also, it strikes me that Cardoso’s skill set is similar to Amari’s. They both can block shots, and have a soft touch in the post. Neither one is a low post banger, and neither displays a lot of defensive energy… yet. Amari can shoot from range better. I expect she’ll end up following a similar development as Cardoso, which might mean there’s not much added value in Cardoso for UConn. I’ll be surprised if Cardoso even becomes the starting center at SC after Boston graduates.

Reaction Score
I doubt she has a nice outside shot. Though if you are right- sure she can be. But if she did-, she would take it more. That would show you she has confidence in her shot and her coach is confident in her. That 5-11 she shot from 3 is outstanding,. So why wouldn't the team work to get her the ball more from there if that % was a stat that shows she is a good shooter especially if she is a good passer too? Five for 11 from 3 is equivalent to 68.18% from 2. And she is not a pg. I'd love to see Amihere play the pg vs UCONN. Maybe she did? In our 1st game was she playing pg? If she had good passing skills and was anything near capable of being a competent pg then she wouldn't have had 37 assists vs 57 turnovers. A good passer wouldn't be that bad. A good passer is a good passer, right? And as a PF she couldn't make good passes to players she was quicker than in order to have better assist to turnover numbers?

And as far as freshmen - I was sort of reacting to your comment "Dont you think Geno is doing what he can to find players to get back to winning a National Championship, even if that includes a transfer?" -

It seemed like you were suggesting that Geno must get another transfer. If you agree that freshmen can win, then ofc you also agree with that it is possible UCONN can win a title with no further moves, right?
My question means exactly what it says about finding talent. There’s no suggestion there. If Geno isn’t trying to find the talent to win another title then please, disregard my question.

As for LA, I’m not even going to bother answering all that. We will see what happens next year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I suspect Cardoso had a peculiar experience at Syracuse where she had a lot of pressure on her to produce, but was prone to foul trouble and only averaged ~20 mins. When she got to SC, she was supporting cast, averaged ~15 mins and could develop herself. She might have had a similar experience at UConn to SC. But we ended up asking more of Dorka than was asked of Cardoso at SC.
Also, it strikes me that Cardoso’s skill set is similar to Amari’s. They both can block shots, and have a soft touch in the post. Neither one is a low post banger, and neither displays a lot of defensive energy… yet. Amari can shoot from range better. I expect she’ll end up following a similar development as Cardoso, which might mean there’s not much added value in Cardoso for UConn. I’ll be surprised if Cardoso even becomes the starting center at SC after Boston graduates.
Syracuse was a dumpster fire making everyone's experience peculiar and forcing some very good players to get the hell up out there at season's end. Cardoso's skill set is not similar to Amari. Cardoso is a powerful low post force and a dominating rebounder who is rarely more than a few feet from the basket. Amari is finesse player with 42% (35 of 83) of Amari's shots this season coming from beyond the arc. Cardoso's next 3Pt FGA will only be the second of her career & probably out of desperation. That "foul prone" moniker attached to Cardoso is entirely urban legend. Her limited minutes at Syracuse was due to her having an idiot for head coach. Her limited minutes at SC was due to her playing behind the NPOY. BTW Cardoso is WNBA eligible Spring of 2023 (Next WNBA draft) and could be leaving with Boston-I hope.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think what happened was Dorka came first. She entered the portal and was offered and accepted before Cardoso was known to be available. She entered the portal latter, only after most of the Syracuse team left. If both had been in the portal at the same time, and both indicated an interest in Uconn, it could have been the other way around where Geno chooses Cardoso and passes on Dorka. We will never know, but I suspect if Cardoso had committed before Dorka, that Dorka probably would have lost interest in us, but apparently Cardoso was willing to consider us even with Dorka onboard.
That's correct. Dorka committed to UCONN on April 12th. Cordoso did not enter the portal until April 22nd.

Reaction Score
Syracuse was a dumpster fire making everyone's experience peculiar and forcing some very good players to get the hell up out there at season's end. Cardoso's skill set is not similar to Amari. Cardoso is a powerful low post force and a dominating rebounder who is rarely more than a few feet from the basket. Amari is finesse player with 42% (35 of 83) of Amari's shots this season coming from beyond the arc. Cardoso's next 3Pt FGA will only be the second of her career & probably out of desperation. That "foul prone" moniker attached to Cardoso is entirely urban legend. Her limited minutes at Syracuse was due to her having an idiot for head coach. Her limited minutes at SC was due to her playing behind the NPOY. BTW Cardoso is WNBA eligible Spring of 2023 (Next WNBA draft) and could be leaving with Boston-I hope.
Kamilla did herself a disservice going to Syracuse. Her PLAN is to stick around a year after Aliyah goes to the W. She and Raven Johnson played on the same AAU team (along with Ashlyn Watkins), are all good friends, and that’s the connection she had to SC so hopefully that will keep her around for at least 1 year after. She’s a terrific rebounder and is money on put backs and short shots. She finally started to learn to play defense toward the back half of the year. She played nothing but zone at Syracuse so that was an adjustment. I see her taking a major step forward next year.

Reaction Score
Kamilla did herself a disservice going to Syracuse. Her PLAN is to stick around a year after Aliyah goes to the W. She and Raven Johnson played on the same AAU team (along with Ashlyn Watkins), are all good friends, and that’s the connection she had to SC so hopefully that will keep her around for at least 1 year after. She’s a terrific rebounder and is money on put backs and short shots. She finally started to learn to play defense toward the back half of the year. She played nothing but zone at Syracuse so that was an adjustment. I see her taking a major step forward next year.
Agreed. The same could be said about Engstler and we saw how effective she can be in a man-to-man situation. Give her another year with the system and the coaches. I'm looking forward to seeing her progress next season.

Reaction Score
You may be right about the foul trouble. I watched about a half dozen of their games at Syr, and the pattern I saw was 2 fouls midway through the second quarter, and 4 fouls in the 4th. I haven't seen a stat on season averages though, so this may not be representative. Still, she only averaged 23 mins a game, and that wasn't by accident. But at Syracuse, they didn't have much to back her up with, so when she sat their game changed. Either way, this is the sort of things you hope she grows out of, just as we hope the same for AE.

As for Amari's skill set, I don't think this past year is enough data to show what she can do. But there is tape of her blocking shots in HS and being more active on D than we saw this year. Also, like Cardoso, she knows not to bring the ball down when she catches it in the post. They both just turn and shoot. This isn't a whole lot to go on, I realize. But the main thing she seemed to lack as far as I could see was defensive intensity. Cardoso seemed like that to me last year -- a good shot blocker, but this can be the desperation go to move of a big who isn't very active otherwise. And neither of them has showed us how they can chase down balls.

Reaction Score
… In a recent post-game interview, [Geno] spoke quite feelingly about a sense of obligation to his players to give them the opportunity to win an NC…
… The Transfer portal is here to stay for now. There’s no guarantee that if you transfer that you don’t get caught in the same jam you’re leaving…
100%! NC obligation affects every aspect of program in new transfer portal reality. If coaches not exploiting as warranted, their team at disadvantage following year, even as HS recruiting churns forward at highest level. Not either/or, zero sum proposition. Have to actively mine talent pipeline from both ends to ensure highest probability of reaching NC goal.

And transfer risk affects both player in question & coach/program. Have to strike balance of roster numbers, positional depth, & development/ progression timeline so protected without excess slack down bench or in street clothes.

Reaction Score
This rhetoric about UCONN not playing freshman seriously needs an update because it is severely outdated. In the past 20 seasons UCONN has had a freshman starter or 6th woman in all but two seasons- (03-04 and 17-18)… It certainly depends on the player and the existing roster…

02-03 Ann Strother
06-07 Tina Charles
10-11 Dolson
12-13 Stewie
12-13 Morgan Tuck (6th Woman)
15-16 Napheesa (6th Woman)
18-19 Liv (6th Woman)
20-21 Aaliyah Edwards
Fair point, CocoHusky. But I would argue that most freshman on your list that played ample min were not bigs in true sense (ideal position, not necessity). I whittled down above, accordingly.

Reaction Score
… (cont) Critically, easier for guards/wings to assimilate to major D1 from HS than posts, due to steep increase in strength & physicality of college game in paint.

Charles & Stewie were generational talents, so their immediate impacts projectable. Dolson already had size/length & pro body when she arrived in Storrs. Tuck & Pheesa mature game & solid build, etc.

Also importantly, transfer portal was not around until last year, so who knows if Geno would have tapped for post reinforcements spanning previous seasons. Hard to think that b/w lean HS yield (Aubrey’s year) & mass transfer exodus (Walker’s class), Geno wouldn’t have leaned on transfers (moreso) to fill resulting gaps.

Finally, difference b/w playing freshman b/c earned/warranted vs. need. Sure, as you cited, examples of impactful first year players. But some were on floor b/c Geno didn’t have a better option, as much or more than deserving in vacuum.

Reaction Score
Geno may not have the same motivations to use the portal as Jeff and Dawn (and Kim and the rest), who may tend to look too narrowly at the end goal. Geno's already in the HoF, he's got plenty of glory. Other than Tara, every other coach may feel some pressure to make something happen in the short term and feel the need to shake the portal until something falls out.

In a recent post-game interview, he spoke quite feelingly about a sense of obligation to his players to give them the opportunity to win an NC. That isn't the mindset of a coach who'll focus all his energies to get new players. I'm sure the coaching staff is talking to loads of players in the portal. How could they not? They need to find out what kind of people they are. But I doubt very much they'll compromise any of their principles, or promise any PT, just to get someone to come.

I am sure they're much more focused on recruiting HS kids. I was watching video of a Benilde St Margaret's game from a couple months back, and who was there but Geno, sitting in the stands to watch Olivia Olson (2024) play. If he thinks she's got the right character, and is willing to play D with good energy, she'll be hearing from CD or Morgan or Jamelle if she hasn't already. I am always encouraged to hear that the recruiting operation is always percolating away in the background.
I think you are 100% spot on here. I find it odd that the SC poster felt the need to ask you the questions about the Portal even though you specifically mentioned Geno talking to a lot of players on the Portal. Sure UCONN is gonna try.

But, in regards to our bigs, I think if you have the number 4 and 5 ranked HS recruits and the number 15 from last year, it would seem as you suggest that Geno would be 100% okay to go with what he has rather than making a major force move in which he is not confident that player fits the style or isn't going to be much better than what he feels he can develop. And just ot have that "aggressive reputation" of always looking to over-recruit 5 star H/S stars - the long-term effect could be devastating.

Anyhow, I'm excited about our 7 players that can play for some the 4, for some the 5, and for some the 4 or 5 between Dorka, AE, Brady, DeBerry, Patterson, Griffin and CD.

Reaction Score
Dre’Una Edwards to Baylor. Posting here b/c hopeful player discussion to UConn within this thread. Would have had to play in long sleeves for Geno:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Lauren Ebo just commits to Notre Dame.

• Good get for the Irish. Solid post play at Texas last year and will help clog middle with Kylee Watson.
  • Was recruited out of high school by then Penn State HC, now Irish assc. head coach, Coquese Washington. Must've been a good relationship because she's joining Coach Q again.
  • This will also allow Nat Marshall time to recuperate from latest knee surgery and come back on her schedule.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm probably wrong on this because I don't know the details but hypothetically, Uconn could offer only 2 more scholarship this year unless it's for only one year correct? We have 13 scholarships total. 9 players on the current roster. We have 2 kids coming in next year and then KK and Ashlyn. That's 13 right there. Louconn and Dorka have one year only so 2 slots should be available next year and maybe only 1 the year after. One would think in that scenario Geno would want to be very selective and leave a slot open for a top player. Any transfer coming in probably would be one year only unless they are Angel Reese or someone similar. I don't think we add another transfer. Are we going to obviate the ability to add a top player because we don't have a scholarship available? We have a very young team. There are not a lot of slots open for the next 2 years maybe.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Women`s hoops are allowed 15 scholarships. UConn has 11 for next year now. Dorka and Lou2 have one year remaining and the two 2023 recruits will be coming in to keep it at eleven for the 2023-2024 season, assuming everything else stays constant.

The weird thing is that due to the Covid year, all eleven projected to be on the roster in 2023-2024 will also be eligible for 2024-2025. Bueckers, Muhl, Edwards, and I think Griffin as well who could get a fifth year. How likely any of those would stay for a fifth year is another matter, of course.

Bottom line, I think Geno has a fair amount of flexibility to add impact players, one way or the other.

The men are limited to thirteen, that may be the cause for confusion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Women`s hoops are allowed 15 scholarships. UConn has 11 for next year now. Dorka and Lou2 have one year remaining and the two 2023 recruits will be coming in to keep it at eleven for the 2023-2024 season, assuming everything else stays constant.

The weird thing is that due to the Covid year, all eleven projected to be on the roster in 2023-2024 will also be eligible for 2024-2025. Bueckers, Muhl, Edwards, and I think Griffin as well who could get a fifth year. How likely any of those would stay for a fifth year is another matter, of course.

Bottom line, I think Geno has a fair amount of flexibility to add impact players, one way or the other.

The men are limited to thirteen, that may be the cause for confusion.
When I looked it up it was exactly the opposite. With Title 9, how could that be legal?

And yet here is another one which agrees that men get 15 slots and women 13:

Reaction Score
When I looked it up it was exactly the opposite. With Title 9, how could that be legal?

And yet here is another one which agrees that men get 15 slots and women 13:

Any site that says that is incorrect. If you look at the NCAA bylaws, is very clear that a school can give out up to 15 scholarships on the women’s side and only 13 on the men’s side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom