Transfer portal, Spring 2022 (merged thread) | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal, Spring 2022 (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Speaking from experience. Back injuries don’t necessarily result from a single incident. They tend to be cumulative. I had a good 40 years of back spasms & strains before finally having back surgery in my 50’s. Glad I finally had the procedure. But for the life of me I cannot point to one single event that resulted in my back problems.
True what you say about backs being accumulative, Oldude, but there are some of us whose back injuries are due to one singular incident for our back woes: Mine, the hit on an Air Force WR across the middle. Never been the same since...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
True what you say about backs being accumulative, Oldude, but there are some of us whose back injuries are due to one singular incident for our back woes: Mine, the hit on an Air Force WR across the middle. Never been the same since...
Nowadays you would be thrown out of the game for targeting. :oops:

Reaction Score
Nowadays you would be thrown out of the game for targeting. :oops:
Lol. You're absolutely correct: Strong safeties doing blindside hits nowadays on "defenseless receivers" would definitely draw the yellow and an ejection...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If Connecticut knows something about Aubrey and her ability to play next year being negative then I could see The transfer for Minnesota however if Aubrey is healthy I think a low post player is more of a priority. Have a look at Brittany Smith from UCF. It seems as though all the big-name post players are heading elsewhere so a good second tier 4 with good experience motor and bounce could be the answer for the front court. Let the young Biggs Continue to develop over the summer and season.
I may be in the minority, but I too would like to see another post player added. I’ve already said so in a recent post. I commented that if DeBerry and Brady both play up to their perceived potential this coming year, UConn can beat SC or anyone else. Right now, that's an unknown. I’d like to add an experienced big for insurance.
Breaking news.... NCAA president Mark Emmert to step down in June 2023.

Reaction Score
No question filling a roster hole from the portal makes sense, but it still comes at a potential cost. If Cardoso for example were in the portal this year I would hope Geno would be pursuing her as having a low post banger would fill a gap.

I do wonder how Cardoso, Feagin, and Amihere are feeling about their choices - great to have an NC, would have been nice if they were actually playing more minutes and with Saxton returning ...?
Why do you wonder if those big girls question their choices? Other than Amihere, the roster was stacked when Feagin and Cardoso committed. Geno was looking for a post player last year when Cardoso was in the portal. I think the one it affects is Amihere the most, but I also know she has worked at the 3 some this year and that’s where I believe she’ll get some extra minutes next year. She’s certainly quick enough and does better offensively in space. Here’s an interesting fact….Amihere has never had a summer in Columbia to get that extra work in with the team/individual work. Her first summer was FIBA, then Covid, then last year Olympics. This is her first one. I hope she can get some good work in with Coach Chmiel who is fantastic with our front court.

I get what you’re saying about Cardoso and Feagin and Amihere but they all knew that Saxton staying was a possibility before the year started. I wasn’t surprised by Saxton coming back.

The Transfer portal is here to stay for now. There’s no guarantee that if you transfer that you don’t get caught in the same jam you’re leaving. I’m sure Dawn, Geno, Jeff and every other coach out there will do all they can to get better, regardless of the talent they have. You either stay ahead or get left behind. All these other coaches are doing all they can to assemble teams to beat them. The athletes wanted this instantly Eligible transfer option. They got it. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Geno may not have the same motivations to use the portal as Jeff and Dawn (and Kim and the rest), who may tend to look too narrowly at the end goal. Geno's already in the HoF, he's got plenty of glory. Other than Tara, every other coach may feel some pressure to make something happen in the short term and feel the need to shake the portal until something falls out.

In a recent post-game interview, he spoke quite feelingly about a sense of obligation to his players to give them the opportunity to win an NC. That isn't the mindset of a coach who'll focus all his energies to get new players. I'm sure the coaching staff is talking to loads of players in the portal. How could they not? They need to find out what kind of people they are. But I doubt very much they'll compromise any of their principles, or promise any PT, just to get someone to come.

I am sure they're much more focused on recruiting HS kids. I was watching video of a Benilde St Margaret's game from a couple months back, and who was there but Geno, sitting in the stands to watch Olivia Olson (2024) play. If he thinks she's got the right character, and is willing to play D with good energy, she'll be hearing from CD or Morgan or Jamelle if she hasn't already. I am always encouraged to hear that the recruiting operation is always percolating away in the background.

Reaction Score
Geno may not have the same motivations to use the portal as Jeff and Dawn (and Kim and the rest), who may tend to look too narrowly at the end goal. Geno's already in the HoF, he's got plenty of glory. Other than Tara, every other coach may feel some pressure to make something happen in the short term and feel the need to shake the portal until something falls out.

In a recent post-game interview, he spoke quite feelingly about a sense of obligation to his players to give them the opportunity to win an NC. That isn't the mindset of a coach who'll focus all his energies to get new players. I'm sure the coaching staff is talking to loads of players in the portal. How could they not? They need to find out what kind of people they are. But I doubt very much they'll compromise any of their principles, or promise any PT, just to get someone to come.

I am sure they're much more focused on recruiting HS kids. I was watching video of a Benilde St Margaret's game from a couple months back, and who was there but Geno, sitting in the stands to watch Olivia Olson (2024) play. If he thinks she's got the right character, and is willing to play D with good energy, she'll be hearing from CD or Morgan or Jamelle if she hasn't already. I am always encouraged to hear that the recruiting operation is always percolating away in the background.
So….didn’t Geno recruit Dorka last year from the portal because he needed to shore up the front line? Dont you think Geno is doing what he can to find players to get back to winning a National Championship, even if that includes a transfer? I can’t speak about anybody else but Dawn isn’t going to promise anything to anybody. She’s Been out recruiting high schoolers already this spring too but if you have holes in your roster the transfer portal is a way to plug it. Anyway, it’s here and everybody needs to learn to navigate it.

Reaction Score

If I'm not mistaken Cardoso, when she entered the transfer portal, contacted Geno about going to UCONN and Geno was interested but got harsh feedback from bigs already on the team and the in-coming bigs for next year! So he passed on her and she went to Dawn and SoCar! The rest as they say is history!

Reaction Score
So….didn’t Geno recruit Dorka last year from the portal because he needed to shore up the front line? Dont you think Geno is doing what he can to find players to get back to winning a National Championship, even if that includes a transfer? I can’t speak about anybody else but Dawn isn’t going to promise anything to anybody. She’s Been out recruiting high schoolers already this spring too but if you have holes in your roster the transfer portal is a way to plug it. Anyway, it’s here and everybody needs to learn to navigate it.
I'm pretty sure my earlier post said that I expect Geno is talking to lots of transfer candidates. Why would you think I'd said otherwise? Nor do I expect Dawn is doing anything differently, though I may have misspoken in including her among the rest. I merely commented on my sense of his motivations. Lots of folks here like to say that rival coaches are desperately focused on the portal, and they're probably right. But I don't think Geno approaches the portal in the same way, and we know this because of his various criticisms of the entire practice. This is the way the top programs, the ones that build for the longterm, behave.

If I'm not mistaken Cardoso, when she entered the transfer portal, contacted Geno about going to UCONN and Geno was interested but got harsh feedback from bigs already on the team and the in-coming bigs for next year! So he passed on her and she went to Dawn and SoCar! The rest as they say is history!
This is exactly my point. He pays attention to the culture of his team. I imagine he asks them if they think someone will fit in with the team. This doesn't mean they get veto power, but it is revealing. You'll notice that they didn't object to Dorka. I recall a few early interviews with Liv and Dorka from last summer that showed how close they were. Dorka had a funny story about their first game against each other as freshmen and pics they'd taken together.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why do you wonder if those big girls question their choices? Other than Amihere, the roster was stacked when Feagin and Cardoso committed. Geno was looking for a post player last year when Cardoso was in the portal. I think the one it affects is Amihere the most, but I also know she has worked at the 3 some this year and that’s where I believe she’ll get some extra minutes next year. She’s certainly quick enough and does better offensively in space. Here’s an interesting fact….Amihere has never had a summer in Columbia to get that extra work in with the team/individual work. Her first summer was FIBA, then Covid, then last year Olympics. This is her first one. I hope she can get some good work in with Coach Chmiel who is fantastic with our front court.

I get what you’re saying about Cardoso and Feagin and Amihere but they all knew that Saxton staying was a possibility before the year started. I wasn’t surprised by Saxton coming back.

The Transfer portal is here to stay for now. There’s no guarantee that if you transfer that you don’t get caught in the same jam you’re leaving. I’m sure Dawn, Geno, Jeff and every other coach out there will do all they can to get better, regardless of the talent they have. You either stay ahead or get left behind. All these other coaches are doing all they can to assemble teams to beat them. The athletes wanted this instantly Eligible transfer option. They got it. :rolleyes:
I doubt see Amihere as a sf. Maybe she is but imo it's a waste. Why wouldn't teams sag off of her when she gets the ball from the outside? How is she at passing in the post? How about driving and dishing? When she puts the ball on the floor toward the basket certainly there will be quicker guards that sluff off their player they are defending on the floor that attack her dribble; so she has to be well passing out of it. How is she helping Boston with space in the lane if you sag off of her? And she is so big if she bumps into anyone much smaller than her while she is attacking the basket and they do the "Notre Dame flop," how does that help SC? Raven Johnson or Cooke drives the lane and Amihere's defender helps out because she is sagging- they pass the ball back outside to Amihere- how is that that much helpful vs a Small Forward that can actually knock down a jumper?

Also, I think there has to a fine line with UCONN getting players from the portal vs recruiting. If you get a reputation of aggressively bringing in players to overrecruit your freshmen that are players in the 6-20 H/S rating range, then after a time why would the 6-20 bother coming to UCONN from the beginning as a frosh rather than play for a school their frosh year and then see if Geno or any other super coach wants them their next several?

High school kids are going to notice the trend that you are setting. And with that said, why can't a freshman be a huge contributor for a title team? Think of Edwards freshman year, would it have been so terrible to have a player like her as a frosh come off the bench as being your 3rd or 4th best inside player? She was really UCONN's number 2 inside player her frosh year and maybe number 1 to a degree and she was still a bit raw. Yet a player that is ranked 5/6 10 range could possibly be better than The Frosh Edwards - so - why can't they fill the role with a star frosh or maybe give "a DeBerry type" a shot that actually wanted to be a UCONN Husky from the start rather than try to aggressively over-recruit them?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The link to SC is Raven Johnson. They played on the same AAU team. She came on her visit and hit it off with our bigs and committed on the spot. I’m glad she did. She made good use of her time and helped us win the Championship.

Reaction Score
I doubt see Amihere as a sf. Maybe she is but imo it's a waste. Why wouldn't teams sag off of her when she gets the ball from the outside? How is she at passing in the post? How about driving and dishing? When she puts the ball on the floor toward the basket certainly there will be quicker guards that sluff off their player they are defending on the floor that attack her dribble; so she has to be well passing out of it. How is she helping Boston with space in the lane if you sag off of her? And she is so big if she bumps into anyone much smaller than her while she is attacking the basket and they do the "Notre Dame flop," how does that help SC? Raven Johnson or Cooke drives the lane and Amihere's defender helps out because she is sagging- they pass the ball back outside to Amihere- how is that that much helpful vs a Small Forward that can actually knock down a jumper?

Also, I think there has to a fine line with UCONN getting players from the portal vs recruiting. If you get a reputation of aggressively bringing in players to overrecruit your freshmen that are players in the 6-20 H/S rating range, then after a time why would the 6-20 bother coming to UCONN from the beginning as a frosh rather than play for a school their frosh year and then see if Geno or any other super coach wants them their next several?

High school kids are going to notice the trend that you are setting. And with that said, why can't a freshman be a huge contributor for a title team? Think of Edwards freshman year, would it have been so terrible to have a player like her as a frosh come off the bench as being your 3rd or 4th best inside player? She was really UCONN's number 2 inside player her frosh year and maybe number 1 to a degree and she was still a bit raw. Yet a player that is ranked 5/6 10 range could possibly be better than The Frosh Edwards - so - why can't they fill the role with a star frosh or maybe give "a DeBerry type" a shot that actually wanted to be a UCONN Husky from the start rather than try to aggressively over-recruit them?
Amihere has a nice outside shot - she just doesn’t shoot it often. She’s a terrific passer which is one of the reasons sh played PG for us when Henny was hurt earlier in the year. Dawn isn’t aggressively over-recruiting anybody but if an opportunity for us to get better presents itself she’s going to check it out I’m sure.

Freshmen absolutely can help a title team. When Boston/Cooke/Beal/Amihere were freshmen 3 of them started and we were a title contender until Covid shut everything down.

Reaction Score
What you say is absolutely correct if they are willing to get in there and fight for that rebound. However, Geno does not readily play first year players unless they demonstrate extraordinary hard work and skills. Caroline Ducharme would have been getting slivers on her ass unless the team did not have all of the injuries and absences.
The comment about Brown came from a question, paraphrasing "What do we need or do if one of our bigs is injuried?" Similar to Caroline this past year, we may need to put in a frosh. Seems like if the sub is a transfer, half the Boneyard jumps in and says how difficult it is for a new player to learn the UConn system. If we consider a frosh, the other half of the Boneyard brings up the same issue. Likely all depends upon the player, the team we play, and where we are in the year. My season's end the past few years, we had frosh like Edwards, Azzi, Paige, and Caroline all doing well their first year at UConn. No reason to think future frosh won't have similar success.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Seeing guys large than me in casts & crutches in JR High is one reason wrestling was the sport for me.

Since completing massage therapy training in 91 I haven't watched much football.

I think there are a lot of men, unfortunately sharing a similar life experience as you.

Reaction Score
I have never seen anything from Geno or Cardosa or any other source that would support your hypothesis. Thee Only source that ever mentioned Cardosa and UConn together was World Exposure Report which has been proven 100% wrong on all of their portal predictions and is considered a joke.

Could what you assert have happened?? Sure, I guess, but guesses are the only thing that supports it - Unless you have some deep throat source

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have never seen anything from Geno or Cardosa or any other source that would support your hypothesis. Thee Only source that ever mentioned Cardosa and UConn together was World Exposure Report which has been proven 100% wrong on all of their portal predictions and is considered a joke.

Could what you assert have happened?? Sure, I guess, but guesses are the only thing that supports it - Unless you have some deep throat source
It is my understanding that Cardoso’s transfer was coordinated through the Brazilian basketball federation, who contacted Geno, Dawn and perhaps some other coaches. After that, all I know is that she ended up at SC. Whether UConn was interested or not is unknown, at least to the general public.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Yea...I'm sure the girls on the team would not want Cardoso and so Geno passed on her....(insert sarcasm here).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The comment about Brown came from a question, paraphrasing "What do we need or do if one of our bigs is injuried?" Similar to Caroline this past year, we may need to put in a frosh. Seems like if the sub is a transfer, half the Boneyard jumps in and says how difficult it is for a new player to learn the UConn system. If we consider a frosh, the other half of the Boneyard brings up the same issue. Likely all depends upon the player, the team we play, and where we are in the year. My season's end the past few years, we had frosh like Edwards, Azzi, Paige, and Caroline all doing well their first year at UConn. No reason to think future frosh won't have similar success.
This rhetoric about UCONN not playing freshman seriously needs an update because it is severely outdated. In the past 20 seasons UCONN has had a freshman starter or 6th woman in all but two seasons- (03-04 and 17-18). In 03-04 UCONN did not have any freshman on the roster. The list below also does not include Gabby Williams, Tiffany Hayes or Moriah Jefferson who were terrific contributors as freshman but did not rise to the level of 6th woman. It certainly depends on the player and the existing roster but IMO both of the Freshman coming in next season have the ability to press for starting position and be a regular part of the rotation.

02-03 Ann Strother
04-05 Ketia Swanier
05-06 Renee Montgomery
06-07 Tina Charles

07-08 Maya
08-09 Doty

09-10 Faris (6th Woman)
10-11.Dolson
10-11 Harley
11-12 KML (6th Woman)
12-13. Stewie
12-13 Morgan Tuck (6th Woman)
13-14 Saniya Chong ( (6th Woman)
14-15 Kia Nurse
15-16 KLS
15-16 Napheesa (6th Woman)
16-17 Crystal (6th Woman)
18-19 Christyn Williams
18-19 Liv (6th Woman)
19-20 Anna Makurat
19-20 Aubrey Griffin (6th Woman)
20-21 Paige
20-21 Aaliyah Edwards
20-21 Nika Muhl
21-22 Azzi Fudd
20-21 Caroline (6th Woman)

Reaction Score
Amihere has a nice outside shot - she just doesn’t shoot it often. She’s a terrific passer which is one of the reasons sh played PG for us when Henny was hurt earlier in the year. Dawn isn’t aggressively over-recruiting anybody but if an opportunity for us to get better presents itself she’s going to check it out I’m sure.

Freshmen absolutely can help a title team. When Boston/Cooke/Beal/Amihere were freshmen 3 of them started and we were a title contender until Covid shut everything down.
I doubt she has a nice outside shot. Though if you are right- sure she can be. But if she did-, she would take it more. That would show you she has confidence in her shot and her coach is confident in her. That 5-11 she shot from 3 is outstanding,. So why wouldn't the team work to get her the ball more from there if that % was a stat that shows she is a good shooter especially if she is a good passer too? Five for 11 from 3 is equivalent to 68.18% from 2. And she is not a pg. I'd love to see Amihere play the pg vs UCONN. Maybe she did? In our 1st game was she playing pg? If she had good passing skills and was anything near capable of being a competent pg then she wouldn't have had 37 assists vs 57 turnovers. A good passer wouldn't be that bad. A good passer is a good passer, right? And as a PF she couldn't make good passes to players she was quicker than in order to have better assist to turnover numbers?

And as far as freshmen - I was sort of reacting to your comment "Dont you think Geno is doing what he can to find players to get back to winning a National Championship, even if that includes a transfer?" -

It seemed like you were suggesting that Geno must get another transfer. If you agree that freshmen can win, then ofc you also agree with that it is possible UCONN can win a title with no further moves, right?

Reaction Score
This rhetoric about UCONN not playing freshman seriously needs an update because it is severely outdated. In the past 20 seasons UCONN has had a freshman starter or 6th woman in all but two seasons- (03-04 and 17-18). In 03-04 UCONN did not have any freshman on the roster. The list below also does not include Gabby Williams, Tiffany Hayes or Moriah Jefferson who were terrific contributors as freshman but did not rise to the level of 6th woman. It certainly depends on the player and the existing roster but IMO both of the Freshman coming in next season have the ability to press for starting position and be a regular part of the rotation.

02-03 Ann Strother
04-05 Ketia Swanier
05-06 Renee Montgomery
06-07 Tina Charles
07-08 Maya
08-09 Doty

09-10 Faris (6th Woman)
10-11.Dolson
10-11 Harley
11-12 KML (6th Woman)
12-13. Stewie
12-13 Morgan Tuck (6th Woman)
13-14 Saniya Chong ( (6th Woman)
14-15 Kia Nurse
15-16 KLS
15-16 Napheesa (6th Woman)
16-17 Crystal (6th Woman)
18-19 Christyn Williams
18-19 Liv (6th Woman)
19-20 Anna Makurat
19-20 Aubrey Griffin (6th Woman)
20-21 Paige
20-21 Aaliyah Edwards
20-21 Nika Muhl
21-22 Azzi Fudd
20-21 Caroline (6th Woman)
Outdated or incorrect? The freshman statement seems incorrect more than anything else to me. Also, wasn't it Aaliyah who won the Big East 6th Woman of the Year in 2021? That looks like a typo but I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure my earlier post said that I expect Geno is talking to lots of transfer candidates. Why would you think I'd said otherwise? Nor do I expect Dawn is doing anything differently, though I may have misspoken in including her among the rest. I merely commented on my sense of his motivations. Lots of folks here like to say that rival coaches are desperately focused on the portal, and they're probably right. But I don't think Geno approaches the portal in the same way, and we know this because of his various criticisms of the entire practice. This is the way the top programs, the ones that build for the longterm, behave.

This is exactly my point. He pays attention to the culture of his team. I imagine he asks them if they think someone will fit in with the team. This doesn't mean they get veto power, but it is revealing. You'll notice that they didn't object to Dorka. I recall a few early interviews with Liv and Dorka from last summer that showed how close they were. Dorka had a funny story about their first game against each other as freshmen and pics they'd taken together.
So im guessing he turned down Aaliyah Boston too bc of harsh feedback LOL

Reaction Score

I believe he takes into consideration the team chemistry and a fit with the other players, but I don’t believe he asks them their opinions before choosing a player.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Outdated or incorrect? The freshman statement seems incorrect more than anything else to me. Also, wasn't it Aaliyah who won the Big East 6th Woman of the Year in 2021? That looks like a typo but I could be wrong.
Incorrect would be more accurate. As far as AE I listed her as a starter because by the end of the season she was a starter and playing her best basketball against Iowa and Baylor.

Reaction Score
Incorrect would be more accurate. As far as AE I listed her as a starter because by the end of the season she was a starter and playing her best basketball against Iowa and Baylor.
I think you misunderstood my question about Aaliyah.

You noted "20-21 Caroline (6th Woman)" in your post. Wasn't that Aaliyah who won that award? This is why I asked if this was a typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom