Top 25 team next year?? Maybe not | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Top 25 team next year?? Maybe not

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I doubt if we'll be at top 25 team next year especially if Jackson leaves which is more and more likely. No one could have predicted all of the outflow of talent and nothing coming in from the portal so far. Depending on freshman to perform as hyped is a very risky proposition.
I blame @temery for this thread.

This is what happens when you have no standards.

Reaction Score
Now hopefully some of the posters can understand why I was frustrated by Alleyne transferring & posters telling me he wouldn’t played a lot anyways….but I am more confused of why people thought we would be number 1 preseason- never understood the logic of that- with so many upperclassmen coming off a title- did you really think all these guys were going to comeback? Very silly thoughts- can’t really rise your stock any higher coming off a National Championship & being a starter & playing huge minutes.

With all that said, we are in the best hands & I look forward to another great season!!
Nope, it was still a dumb response. Nothing this offseason has been unexpected. The only thing close to a surprise was Alleyne transferring instead of just going overseas, but it never made sense for him to come back

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
You all are a bunch of hypocrites!

Your posting as if you've never said something outlandish, crazy or plain stupid before.

Good point

Reaction Score
We just won a National Championship and had 4 guys declare for the draft. Isn't that what success looks like? If I had been given that option at the start of lat season I would have jumped at it. We may not reach the pinnacle again this season but the UConn to NBA pipeline is open.
If players decide they want to remove their names from draft, I will be happy as well. A National Championship should keep fans happiy for longer than 2 weeks.

Reaction Score
So most of you guys aren’t worried if Newton and Jackson stay in the draft? What are your expectations for next year? I’d like to get to the point where we are a consistent top 5 team, we have a good recruiting class coming in but it’s not like they are all 5 stars. People being concerned about next year doesn’t diminish the accomplishments this year.

Reaction Score
This place is the absolute worst.
Might I step in an point out that this is a thread where one guy said something stupid & like 30 people are responding with "hey that's stupid"

Just to keep "this place" in perspective

Reaction Score
Patience is necessary until AJ and TN decide their future landing spots. Mistaken clairvoyance is expecting that decision next week.

Reaction Score
Nope, it was still a dumb response. Nothing this offseason has been unexpected. The only thing close to a surprise was Alleyne transferring instead of just going overseas, but it never made sense for him to come back
Agree to disagree- think Alleyne was coming into his own the last 15 games of the season & was getting critical minutes by the end of the season.

Reaction Score
So most of you guys aren’t worried if Newton and Jackson stay in the draft? What are your expectations for next year? I’d like to get to the point where we are a consistent top 5 team, we have a good recruiting class coming in but it’s not like they are all 5 stars. People being concerned about next year doesn’t diminish the accomplishments this year.
Not even remotely concerned. If one or both come back we're one of the best teams in the country and favorite to repeat. If they're both gone we're still a top 25 team all year and should make the Sweet 16 at a minimum

Reaction Score
Not even remotely concerned. If one or both come back we're one of the best teams in the country and favorite to repeat. If they're both gone we're still a top 25 team all year and should make the Sweet 16 at a minimum
I’d agree with most of that idk if we’re a sweet 16 team if they both go. Outside of Karaban idk what we have for three point shooting

Reaction Score
I doubt if we'll be at top 25 team next year especially if Jackson leaves which is more and more likely. No one could have predicted all of the outflow of talent and nothing coming in from the portal so far. Depending on freshman to perform as hyped is a very risky proposition.
This is just ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Consistent top 5 team? That is a pretty impossible standard. No program has done that in last 30 years. Consistent top 25 … sure but not top 5. Between one and dones, and portal, every good program experiences talent loss.
Even if everyone stays in NBA draft we have 8 players who were top 100 prospects coming out of high school on the team.
Castle- top 10
Ball- top 40
Clingan, Karaban- top 50
Diarra, S Johnson, Stewart, Ross - top 100

The program is in great shape. It might be be a rough start to next year with so many new players, but by the end of the year this will be a great team.

There is a good chance, Hurley adds one more player from portal, and a good chance one of the players in draft decides to return.

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree- think Alleyne was coming into his own the last 15 games of the season & was getting critical minutes by the end of the season.
He looked great the last 15 games of the season, and was crucial to us winning a championship. That's why I always expected he'd move on, he needed a bigger role than what we could offer next year

Reaction Score
I think they are too 25. Got a lottery pick in Clingan who might be early favorite as an all America candidate. Karaban is going to get more shots, and they have Castle.

Guard depth is short. So if Newton and Jackson don’t return, or only 1, I am assuming they go get another guard.

Reaction Score
0B5693E2-D470-41AA-923F-3FF8A462514B.jpeg

Reaction Score
The offseason isnt nearly over yet. Newton and/or Ajax may decide to return. The coaches will find a new portal shooter or 2 (we knew nothing of Joey before the day he committed). I expect at least 4 of the freshmen to make varying degrees of impact.

The coaching staff has shown that they can find players, coach them up, and get them to play together. They've shown they can take the parts, and make the whole more valuable.

I agree, they aren't all 5 stars, but neither were Karaban or Clingan, or Sanogo, and Hawkins, or Napier, Lamb, Okafor, and Gordon for that matter. I dont believe there was a single 5 star in the final 4 this season (maybe 1 depending on which service).

Consistent top 5 is a tough goal. We weren't even that THIS YEAR ! The goal has to be to start with a good base of players, and make them their best by March. I believe our coaches and players can do that.

Again, the offseason isnt nearly over !

Reaction Score
The offseason isnt nearly over yet. Newton and/or Ajax may decide to return. The coaches will find a new portal shooter or 2 (we knew nothing of Joey before the day he committed). I expect at least 4 of the freshmen to make varying degrees of impact.

The coaching staff has shown that they can find players, coach them up, and get them to play together. They've shown they can take the parts, and make the whole more valuable.

I agree, they aren't all 5 stars, but neither were Karaban or Clingan, or Sanogo, and Hawkins, or Napier, Lamb, Okafor, and Gordon for that matter. I dont believe there was a single 5 star in the final 4 this season (maybe 1 depending on which service).

Consistent top 5 is a tough goal. We weren't even that THIS YEAR ! The goal has to be to start with a good base of players, and make them their best by March. I believe our coaches and players can do that.

Again, the offseason isnt nearly over !
I don’t doubt this program or Hurleys ability to develop players in the slightest. Pretty much all those players you mentioned developed over years. I’d be worried about being too reliant on freshman and not being able to find people in the portal. We need more than a Joey c type player to replace Hawkins.

Maybe top 5 is a stretch but top 10 I don’t think is. The other “blue bloods” have that type of expectation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom