Top 25 team next year?? Maybe not | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Top 25 team next year?? Maybe not

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If we do lose Newton and Jackson and not bring anyone in I’d be interesting to see how the “freshmen aren’t usually ready” takes hold up.

Im very high on our class and wouldn’t mind seeing what they look like with clear cut playing time.

I really wish Jackson can comeback as a necessary leader for the group though to be confident in how the team can do.

caw

Reaction Score
If we do lose Newton and Jackson and not bring anyone in I’d be interesting to see how the “freshmen aren’t usually ready” takes hold up.

Im very high on our class and wouldn’t mind seeing what they look like with clear cut playing time.

I really wish Jackson can comeback as a necessary leader for the group though to be confident in how the team can do.

Agreed on all points, though I think between Karaban, Diarra and even Clingan I think the non-freshman leadership roles will be fine.

Reaction Score
Agreed on all points, though I think between Karaban, Diarra and even Clingan I think the non-freshman leadership roles will be fine.
I don’t know much about the freshman other than their rankings I know some people here watch high school games. I’m not expecting much outta diarra though I just don’t think he can improve his shot enough.

I hope the freshman are as good as advertised but most people are just saying it’ll all work out and trust the process instead of actually making points.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This year “working out” is a pretty hilarious way to describe the season.
Yeah, makes it sound like our results should be measured on a pass/fail basis. If we win it all we pass, otherwise......

Reaction Score
Yeah, makes it sound like our results should be measured on a pass/fail basis. If we win it all we pass, otherwise......
People are using the championship to say whatever happens it’ll be fine cuz we found the right guys last year. The team will be a lot younger regardless of who we get.

All my point is that if Newton/Jackson don’t come back, there are valid concerns about next years team and potential with all the youth. For people to just dismiss anyone with those concerns saying in Hurley we trust is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I agree about being too reliant on freshmen, but this is the highest rated class we've ever had. Maybe not 5 stars all, but right behind dook and uk. Our 4th highest rated recruit is at #80 on espn. That's right where Napier, and Lamb were.

What makes you think we won't find anyone in the portal ? What has this staff shown that implies that they won't find what they want in the portal ? Don't forget, we're upset about timberlake, but it's just as likely that they have already been talking to someone new for weeks now, and we just dont know about it. We only know what we know, and i would guess that's about 25% of what's actually going on.

Replacing Hawk: We will have the freshmen, transfers, and the rest of the 23 roster. We had no real replacements for Cole and Martin at this point last year either.

Top 10 (maybe 15) is a reasonable ask. I think we're there even with what we have now. It may not be perfect, and we will lose some games, but that happened every time we won a title.
The 2006 class was also ranked 4th.

Reaction Score
But lost when the chips were down and the pressure was very high.
That team won the regular season and tournament in the sec. They made the sweet sixteen before losing to a team that went to the title game. No roster guarantees a champion but if we didn’t win a title this year you would sign up for a season like that in a heartbeat.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I’d qualify fine. They’re certainly better than Neville Chamberlain but no where close to Winston Churchill.

Reaction Score
It is April people. Can we step away from the ledge and see what happens this offseason before saying who we will rely upon. You don't think Hurley already knows we need a proven shooter even with Jackson and Newton coming back? We have 10 scholarship players. We will have 13 no matter what and they will be upperclassmen or impact players. Trust in Hurley and the process. This is just the way college basketball is nowadays with people leaving early and the transfer portal.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
So just because this year worked out we don’t need to talk about next years roster? I’m not saying we’re not going to be a tournament team but we’re probably not winning the big east if Jackson/Newton don’t return.

You can talk about whatever you like. I just won't waste 3 seconds of my life being worried. If that's a thing for you, go for it.

My advice is the find reasons to be happy. Makes for better days and better company

Enjoy the ride people, it's a lot more fun that way

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah Karaban and DC are amazing sophomore leaders to have. Karaban showed off a lot of his leadership skills last year and DC can with just how hard he always plays.

Reaction Score

If we lose Newton and Jackson we'll add people from the transfer portal. They may be behind the freshman in the rotation, but Hurley said this week that we'll be going into next season with 11 or 12 scholarship players

Reaction Score
“Even” Clingan :)

Reaction Score
So just because this year worked out we don’t need to talk about next years roster? I’m not saying we’re not going to be a tournament team but we’re probably not winning the big east if Jackson/Newton don’t return.
Couldn’t win the Big East with them

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's Connecticut. Our fans have the sense of entitlement of NY Yankee fans and the eternal pessimism of Boston Red Sox fans. A real double threat killer combo.

They should put that on a shirt or something

Entitled and Depressed?
My preference:
Depressingly Entitled!

Reaction Score
We have five weeks before we'll know what our returning roster looks like.. DH/staff have got this.. They're assessing portal guys but primarily focusing on 24/25 targets.. A lot of handwringing going on and its wasted energy to speculate on next year's team until we know.. DH will be ready to execute the game plan when he needs to.

I'm going to enjoy #5 and work on bringing my GHIN down..

Reaction Score
Thank you for reminding me that this place is in fact full of idiots and clowns.

Now let's get those "fire hurley", "this season is over because we lost to St. John's", the "MWC is better than the Big East", "Nova game is a litmus test for the season", and "we don't have a point guard" threads going. I can smell #6.
Not full. Just a few.

Reaction Score
People are using the championship to say whatever happens it’ll be fine cuz we found the right guys last year. The team will be a lot younger regardless of who we get.

All my point is that if Newton/Jackson don’t come back, there are valid concerns about next years team and potential with all the youth. For people to just dismiss anyone with those concerns saying in Hurley we trust is ridiculous.

I agree with everything you're saying here, and everything you've said in this thread....

But what are we gonna do ? What is the solution ? How can the boneyard make this better ? How does pointing out this obvious issue (which we had even worse after last year) help ?

Honestly, the wingsfan guy is an obvious troll that hooked too many of us, and you got caught in his wake.
We won a National Championship 3 weeks ago. We were unranked to start the year. We were one of the best NCAA tourney teams ever. We have the 3rd/4th rated recruiting class coming in. And the offseason just started.

Yes, we probably won't win a title next season. But we just won one weeks ago. This place is a dark pool of negativity most days. But there has to be a break from it for a while after a title no ?

Reaction Score
I doubt if we'll be at top 25 team next year especially if Jackson leaves which is more and more likely. No one could have predicted all of the outflow of talent and nothing coming in from the portal so far. Depending on freshman to perform as hyped is a very risky proposition.
I also think this post is off. But calling people idiots, stupid and clowns because they have a different opinion???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom