Titanic Submarine | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Titanic Submarine

temery

What?
Reaction Score
How the hell do they have internet 2 miles under water?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
This is why I keep my feet on the ground. No trips to the moon and no 20,000 leagues under the sea. Find me on the beach or the golf course or the ski slope. Real crazy.
I would imagine (without looking it up) that far more people die on ski slopes than in submersibles. Yeah, a lot more people ski - just saying - you can die anywhere doing anything.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I would imagine (without looking it up) that far more people die on ski slopes than in submersibles. Yeah, a lot more people ski - just saying - you can die anywhere doing anything.
Ya. See you on the moon. Bye.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

I had to google it. Only 50 people a year die skiing. I personally knew two people who died skiing. 50 sounds way too low.

Reaction Score
Went whitewater rafting today but that was pretty low risk. Spacetrips, air balloons, sub dives not for me.

Reaction Score
Do this exercise:
  • put a single grain of salt on the floor, in the biggest/tallest room in your house.
  • Now, imagine the floor is the seabed, and the ceiling height represents about 1/5 of the way up to the ocean surface.
  • The grain of salt is the submersible, and the walls of your room, are actually miles away from you (seashores).
  • the air/space around you, is all OCEAN. Vast, pitch dark, dangerously freezing, mostly empty save a few whales/squid/ghoulish deep sea creaters... ocean.
This is a ROUGH-ISH scale of what they're dealing with. absolutely horrifying.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The more I hear about this the more it freaks me out. If it didn't breach it's potentially impossible to find, no lights or power. Hoping they float up and are found or that the worst is over. Something I'd never do for love or money.

Reaction Score
People might think I'm kidding, but I'd imagine one of the problems with being a billionaire is that you run out ways to thrill yourself after a while.

Regardless, the thought of any human being dying that way is deeply unsettling, and as much as I want to see the humor in it, I just can't. The thought of the passengers making banging noises from the ocean floor invokes memories of people waving towels from the top of the WTC - just completely helpless.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That’s not how they sell it in the pamphlet.

But once you write the check they apparently have the adventure seeker sign a (very likely worthless) waiver with a list of all the ways they might die on the trip.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
But once you write the check they apparently have the adventure seeker sign a (very likely worthless) waiver with a list of all the ways they might die on the trip.

It’s been a few years, but I used to run a trail race called the Escarpment Run in the Catskills. The race application and waiver mentioned bees, bears, porcupines, lightning, dying of thirst and running off the side of a cliff as potential hazards and promised that you’d be bleeding from somewhere by the end.

(Bleeding happened, but in two of the four years I did it, I really thought I was going to be killed by lightning.)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Are you waivering your right to die or your heirs' right to sue after you die?
Something tells me there isn’t a lot of money to go after with this company.

Reaction Score
The crew searching for the missing sub heard banging sounds every 30 minutes on Tuesday and again four hours later, after additional sonar devices were deployed.

Reaction Score

There's also millions of people skiing every year. There are not millions of people going to -12,000 feet in a privately owned submarine.

Reaction Score
The crew searching for the missing sub heard banging sounds every 30 minutes on Tuesday and again four hours later, after additional sonar devices were deployed.
Time is running out. Even if they locate it - how do they bring it up with so few hours of oxygen left?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom