Titanic Submarine | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Titanic Submarine

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah...I'm leaning 99.99% they imploded, 0.01% chance they are bobbing around the surface somewhere and the USCG just hasn't spotted them yet

Again far be it for me to Monday morning QB the design of the vessel, but I would think the fail safes for depressurization or electrical fire would be to automatically deploy the bouyancy devices and get to the surface.

Reaction Score
Again far be it for me to Monday morning QB the design of the vessel, but I would think the fail safes for depressurization or electrical fire would be to automatically deploy the bouyancy devices and get to the surface.
If there is depressurization at 1500 meters, they're gone. Any small leak would instantly cause it to implode under the pressure

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Definitely not buying Syracuse Men’s Basketball season tickets.

Either way, Micheal Ray Richardson's immortal words apply:

sports-quote_the-ship-be-sinking-micheal-ray-richardson-a4dbd.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah...I'm leaning 99.99% they imploded, 0.01% chance they are bobbing around the surface somewhere and the USCG just hasn't spotted them yet
Out of all the ways to go, and none of them are particularly desirable, bobbing around on the surface but still running out of air because they lack the ability to open the hatch from the inside would have to be the worst.

Reaction Score

CBS News journalist David Pogue, who traveled to Titanic aboard the Titan last year, said the vehicle uses two communication systems: text messages that go back and forth to a surface ship and safety pings that are emitted every 15 minutes to indicate that the sub is still working.

Both of those systems stopped about an hour and 45 minutes after the Titan submerged.

“There are only two things that could mean. Either they lost all power or the ship developed a hull breach and it imploded instantly. Both of those are devastatingly hopeless,” Pogue told CBC on Tuesday.

The submersible had seven backup systems to return to the surface, including sandbags and lead pipes that drop off and an inflatable balloon. One system is designed to work even if everyone aboard is unconscious, Pogue said.
Losing power wouldn't have prevent surfacing, nor manual pinging (banging). There were 7 methods of surfacing and not all required power. Unfortunately, this points to structural failure, either leak or implosion, both of which would be terminal to all onboard.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You kind of get the feeling that the same will happen to space tourist

Eventually, yes that will happen too.

I'm trying to figure out any mode of transportation which hasn't resulted in fatalities through engineering failures, human stupidity or both.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Vs what this sham of a company was selling $250,000 trips on… View attachment 89091 View attachment 89093
This is the most bizarre part about it. To not get the best possible technology to do something this dangerous is outrageous.

Then as a customer to see all of it and still pay $250,000 to participate anyways. Smh

Paying to be a guinea pig.

Reaction Score
You kind of get the feeling that the same will happen to space tourist

My dad was a big mountain climber in the early 70s up until about when I went to elementary school mid-90s. His thought is that when you get the rich thrill seeker types without the requisite skill or knowledge to do high-risk activities, you end up with catastrophes. It's easy to sit in a submarine or space shuttle.

The same seems to be happening with climbing... there's a lot of accidents happening on Everest and other high peaks because people have sub-par rope work and especially training with how to handle rescues and emergencies. Pay 60k and some sherpas will gladly shove you up Everest. It takes 0 skill or climbing acumen any more.

Reaction Score
Ooof, some of these updates don't look good. Seems like you should do some due diligence before getting into a tin can like this, and these facts would be cause for concern.

Pilot said in lawsuit he was fired for warning Titan wasn't safe for deep dives​

https://media-cldnry.s-nbcnews.com/image/upload/t_focal-60x60,duckauto,q_auto:best/newscms/2019_28/2929116/190613-corky_siemaszko-byline1016.jpg
Corky Siemaszko
The pilot OceanGate hired to run manned tests of submersibles claimed five years ago in court papers that he was fired after he warned that the Titan’s carbon shell was not properly tested to make sure it could descend safely to 4,000 meters.

David Lochridge also claimed OceanGate refused to pay extra for a viewport that could be used safely at a depth of 4,000 meters.

When he complained that OceanGate would be endangering customers, Lochridge said in the court papers that he was given “10 minutes to immediately clear out his desk.”

Lochridge’s claims, which were first reported by The New Republic, were in his counterclaim to a 2018 breach of contract lawsuit filed by OceanGate in which the company said the pilot was not an engineer. The two sides settled a few months later.

and

Titan's depth capabilities were downgraded short of the Titanic​

https://media-cldnry.s-nbcnews.com/image/upload/t_focal-60x60,duckauto,q_auto:best/newscms/2022_18/3550980/220505-benjamin-goggin-byline-photo-jm.jpg
Ben Goggin
The hull of the Titan vessel "showed signs of cyclic fatigue," according to a January 2020 interview with OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, who is aboard the missing vessel. Rush told GeekWire that due to that stress, the hull rating was downgraded to a depth of 3,000 meters, 800 meters short of the Titanic's depth.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I read in National Geographic about an entirely Nepalese crew who summitted K2, the second highest peak in winter, which hadn't been done. I thought it was pretty cool because on virtually every climb, if not every climb, the guy holding the camera while smiling Westerners probably wave their flags is a Sherpa, who not only made the climb, but carried a disproportionate amount of gear and for the most part got very little credit for it. One of them actually did it without oxygen, although, I think that was reckless even for someone as well acclimated as he was. He was basically down to taking one or two steps and resting for a minute to get oxygen at the end.

Reaction Score
Eventually, yes that will happen too.

I'm trying to figure out any mode of transportation which hasn't resulted in fatalities through engineering failures, human stupidity or both.
Failure of FIU bridge comes to mind. Should not have happened with all the so-called expertise in that area.

Saw a clip of it and they tried to get too cute with the design. I think they are redesigning it with more conventional methods now.

Reaction Score
My dad was a big mountain climber in the early 70s up until about when I went to elementary school mid-90s. His thought is that when you get the rich thrill seeker types without the requisite skill or knowledge to do high-risk activities, you end up with catastrophes. It's easy to sit in a submarine or space shuttle.

The same seems to be happening with climbing... there's a lot of accidents happening on Everest and other high peaks because people have sub-par rope work and especially training with how to handle rescues and emergencies. Pay 60k and some sherpas will gladly shove you up Everest. It takes 0 skill or climbing acumen any more.

Been happening for years. Looks at the 96' Everest disaster.

Reaction Score
CBS Sunday did a show on it and it is, indeed, surreal. It has only one button "like an elevator" and is made with "off-the-shelf components" from "Camper-World." they run it with a game controller. WTF?

I heard on a podcast today that the vehicle had balloons that inflated to allow it to slowly surface and prevent it from ascending too rapidly which could cause the bends or death. Not exactly state of the art.

Reaction Score
They can't even open it without outside assistance, so they could surface and still suffocate when the oxygen runs out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom