Thread on the old people board | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thread on the old people board

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm a fan of both teams, we're not adversaries y'know. Although I don't appreciate any of the shots taken against Jimmy. He does prepare his kids for life, and makes kids 1st round picks that weren't projected to be 1st round picks when they arrived on campus. They tend to succeed after UConn, and you don't hear about many of them getting in trouble after they leave UConn, which is impressive in and by itself.

of course parity is the reason NO men's team can come close to the UConn women's team. UK's classes have started to look like Geno's, but they're all one and done and thus Squid needs 5+ new faces a year.

Reaction Score
willie99 spot on.........they're clueless......

The girls, to their credit, are typically better students and know that the education is #1. We all wish it could be the same in the men's game but it's not and it never will be - at UConn or any other top program. Some may hide it better but they all struggle to have their players regard academic's as #1......There aren't a ton of "dreams" of the WNBA out there like every boy that hits the city pavement has. There aren't entourages of AAU people and "friends" filling their ears with what they should do to get to the next level.......it's just not the same and good for them. The coaches in the men's game have so many more concerns about their players, academics, playing time, leaving early or not etc etc........plus there are 100 programs who can recruit a player now in the mens game and only 5, maybe 10 in the womens game. UConn recruits the best even more so than the Squid.....making mostly 90% of their schedule a complete mismatch with most of those teams left with little or no chance of even getting 30-40 points in a game. The George Mason's, Butler's and cinderella stories in the men's game cannot happen in the women's game......

If they just understood this and kept to themselves it would be okay but because they know little about basketball and have that holier than thou attitude adversaries will never happen!!

Reaction Score
It's the passing. You never see the womens' point guard dribbling outside the 3 point line for 10 seconds at a time like the men. They keep passing the ball around. As stated above, the ability to do that might be due to their overall lack of athleticism compared to the men, but it is a joy to watch them pass the ball.

Reaction Score
It's the passing. You never see the womens' point guard dribbling outside the 3 point line for 10 seconds at a time like the men. They keep passing the ball around. As stated above, the ability to do that might be due to their overall lack of athleticism compared to the men, but it is a joy to watch them pass the ball.

Phil it is a joy to watch and it only happens because 90% of the teams lack the talent to guard anyone and stop the UConn offense from running their sets.......Geno is a great tactician no doubt, but other teams have no one to guard the games best players in the women's game it is that simple!! Nothing else............

Reaction Score
Phil it is a joy to watch and it only happens because 90% of the teams lack the talent to guard anyone and stop the UConn offense from running their sets.......Geno is a great tactician no doubt, but other teams have no one to guard the games best players in the women's game it is that simple!! Nothing else............

You got scolded pretty well over on the women's board brother! And Boo to Husky Nan for locking that thread before HFD was able to get is hands on it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If they just understood this and kept to themselves it would be okay but because they know little about basketball and have that holier than thou attitude adversaries will never happen!!
I'm not the one that posted a link to the women's board thread here. Everything would have been fine if you guys had just ignored us the way you usually do. People should be allowed to say stupid stuff on their own board without worrying the other folks will come over and screech at them.

And Matt, Dan put in an appearance. A mod took the post down but I might reinstate it. Its incoherent rambling is one of HFD's masterpieces.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Mau is correct. The woman's Maryland game was a great example of what happens when two equally athletic teams match up. The game becomes a defensive game with the passing largely negated. The only thing preventing the game from being closer was the loss of major players from Maryland. If there were no injuries with either team, including KML, I'm not sure UConn wins the game and the score would probably have stayed in the 40's or 50's.

Geno is the best women's coach out there. No exceptions. He gets the best players. But he brings the best out of most of them. Very few qualified coaches have the incentive to coach woman's bb. Not the case in men's bb.

This is JC's take on Geno when asked if Geno could coach men's bb: "Kay asked Calhoun if he thought Geno Auriemma could coach men’s basketball. “I would like to see him try,” Calhoun said. “With the things he does with his players, he does some great stuff, yes, he could. … I think he has that swagger, the way he truly understands the game, I think it would be very interesting.”

ctchamps

Reaction Score
willie99 spot on.........they're clueless......

The girls, to their credit, are typically better students and know that the education is #1. We all wish it could be the same in the men's game but it's not and it never will be - at UConn or any other top program. Some may hide it better but they all struggle to have their players regard academic's as #1......There aren't a ton of "dreams" of the WNBA out there like every boy that hits the city pavement has. There aren't entourages of AAU people and "friends" filling their ears with what they should do to get to the next level.......it's just not the same and good for them. The coaches in the men's game have so many more concerns about their players, academics, playing time, leaving early or not etc etc........plus there are 100 programs who can recruit a player now in the mens game and only 5, maybe 10 in the womens game. UConn recruits the best even more so than the Squid.....making mostly 90% of their schedule a complete mismatch with most of those teams left with little or no chance of even getting 30-40 points in a game. The George Mason's, Butler's and cinderella stories in the men's game cannot happen in the women's game......

Many do understand bb. It's not a holier than thou attitude. It usually is an insecurity thing that prevents people from being gracious about accomplishments. Something happened in their lives that prevents people from enjoying their accomplishments without putting other people down.

Reaction Score

People actually watch women's basketball?

Reaction Score
Many do understand bb. It's not a holier than thou attitude. It usually is an insecurity thing that prevents people from being gracious about accomplishments. Something happened in their lives that prevents people from enjoying their accomplishments without putting other people down.

That's OK, anything that deviates from unicorns farting rainbows is quickly killed on that board anyways.

On the topic, I understood what they were saying. As many here have stated, it would be nice if the men were better students and played the game more like the Wooden UCLA teams did and the UConn women do but that isn't reality in our world. But I don't think they should be skewered for wishing......

Reaction Score
People actually watch women's basketball?

Yeah dude, because, you know, it looks like actual basketball versus gymnastic street ball. Crazy, I know, but, it actually is enjoyable to watch the better teams execute their offensive and defensive sets and especially given that the sets are more complicated and what you would have seen in a 1970s middle school game.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That's OK, anything that deviates from unicorns farting rainbows is quickly killed on that board anyways.

On the topic, I understood what they were saying. As many here have stated, it would be nice if the men were better students and played the game more like the Wooden UCLA teams did and the UConn women do but that isn't reality in our world. But I don't think they should be skewered for wishing......
There are some heads up people on that forum grounded in reality. And there are those who need their life to be free from conflict. These are the "unicorn farting rainbows" people you are referring to. If people take the time to read and get to know various posters then you come to realize that, like this forum, there is no one voice on that forum. Most of the posters there are grounded.

It would be a wonderful world if we weren't so sensitive and didn't find the need to neutralize every opinion that we find distasteful or that didn't agree with our perspective. The problem is that individual opinions can turn into group opinions. And frequently group opinions end up having a way of biting us in the *ss. So, not knowing how events play out in the future, expressing counter opinions has value. The problem is how to express them. And the additional problem is that not everyone has a singular way of receiving messages. I love these forums and the freedom we have to discuss things because they are an excellent format for us to celebrate and vent and learn.

Reaction Score
Yeah dude, because, you know, it looks like actual basketball versus gymnastic street ball. Crazy, I know, but, it actually is enjoyable to watch the better teams execute their offensive and defensive sets and especially given that the sets are more complicated and what you would have seen in a 1970s middle school game.

Hey whatever floats your boat man, missed layups, two handed jump shots, no 10 second clock, playing FEET below the rim, no thanks, I see enough of that at my son's town league games, don't need to watch it on TV as well.

You should probably stop watching Baylor and UK if you want to see a more "beautiful" game of basketball, watch Michigan or IU run their sets with their athleticism.

People who claim mens basketball is just street ball are beyond ignorant and either do not watch it or are just to dumb to understand it.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Hey whatever floats your boat man, missed layups, two handed jump shots, no 10 second clock, playing FEET below the rim, no thanks, I see enough of that at my son's town league games, don't need to watch it on TV as well.

You should probably stop watching Baylor and UK if you want to see a more "beautiful" game of basketball, watch Michigan or IU run their sets with their athleticism.

People who claim mens basketball is just street ball are beyond ignorant and either do not watch it or are just to dumb to understand it.

There is beauty and ugliness in both the men's and women's game. We can certainly compare one to the other. But the best way to go about life is to also understand the differences and appreciate each thing for what they bring.

You go to your kids game because he's there. If he does something well it makes you feel great. It probably has little significance for the adults who don't know your kid, but it means the world to you. If the women's game doesn't float your boat so be it. It does float some peoples boat. You don't need to diss others who's boat it does float anymore than a stranger needs to laugh at your kid if he isn't as good as other kids.

Reaction Score
There is beauty and ugliness in both the men's and women's game. We can certainly compare one to the other. But the best way to go about life is to also understand the differences and appreciate each thing for what they bring.

You go to your kids game because he's there. If he does something well it makes you feel great. It probably has little significance for the adults who don't know your kid, but it means the world to you. If the women's game doesn't float your boat so be it. It does float some peoples boat. You don't need to diss others who's boat it does float anymore than a stranger needs to laugh at your kid if he isn't as good as other kids.

It makes him feel more manly to trash something that is too complicated for him to understand. I see it daily living in the boonies of upstate NY. More pubes on their backs than brain cells in their head.

Reaction Score
The problem is that individual opinions can turn into group opinions. And frequently group opinions end up having a way of biting us in the *ss. So, not knowing how events play out in the future, expressing counter opinions has value. The problem is how to express them. And the additional problem is that not everyone has a singular way of receiving messages.

Yeah, that pretty much nails it.

I love these forums and the freedom we have to discuss things because they are an excellent format for us to celebrate and vent and learn.

There is less freedom than you think and anything that deviates from what is deemed acceptable is met with the same tolerance as a republican debating gay marriage at a folk music gathering in Northampton or Ithaca.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yeah, that pretty much nails it.

There is less freedom than you think and anything that deviates from what is deemed acceptable is met with the same tolerance as a republican debating gay marriage at a folk music gathering in Northampton or Ithaca.
People will always try to marginalize people to get them to fit into some mold. And sometimes, for our own good, we need to change. Sometimes any change on our part could be detrimental, not only to ourselves but to all of society. Those are the extremes. Everything in between also is in play. We can be stubborn or rebellious to our detriment. And be wrong about the causes we are choosing for these behaviors. The problem is measurement. Who is right and who is wrong? The only individual who can answer that is one who can see all future possibilities with each and every event that is possible. Since that individual either doesn't exist or has chosen to remain above the fray, we in this world of drama, are left to argue it amongst ourselves.

Certainly what people say and do, whether outside of myself or directed at me, have impacts on me. And many times the impact is reflexive. But after I remove myself from the drama, I try to quiet my emotions and reflect on things. I usually have options on how to think, feel and respond. Sometimes the options are greater, sometimes less. But in the end the final choice is mine.

Since I can't change people, all I can do is change the way I allow people to impact me. It doesn't stop me from discussing things with others. I'm just realistic that the only significant changes any of us can make is if we choose to make them. No one can force us to do it. So I discuss things with people in the hope that the exchange will benefit as many parties as possible including myself. Furthermore, if there is something I say or do that can help someone, I take the approach it is up to those individuals whether they choose to take my advice or help. If they don't, I try not to be insulted. If I became insulted then it means I don't have that other person's interest in mind. Rather I'm insisting someone else change for my ego's satisfaction.

These forums display our personalities as much as our ideas. We can learn a lot of things about ourselves over and above the many intelligent things that we discuss about bb. You are a very sensitive individual. I like that quality about you because you see things others either are unable to see or choose to ignore. But that trait can be detrimental if you don't learn to get it under control. Sensitive people who are hurt by other's statements or actions, ultimately become cynical, or worse, tune out if they don't find a way to balance the sensitivity.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not the one that posted a link to the women's board thread here. Everything would have been fine if you guys had just ignored us the way you usually do. People should be allowed to say stupid stuff on their own board without worrying the other folks will come over and screech at them.

And Matt, Dan put in an appearance. A mod took the post down but I might reinstate it. Its incoherent rambling is one of HFD's masterpieces.

C'mon Nan, that thread was an engraved invitation for the men's board to stop by. I always think it's funny when people are troubled by responses to their posts. Here's a news flash for them: if you you don't want people to comment on your ("stupid") opinions, don't post them on a message board.

There is a little different tone on the women's board (understatement intended.) For most part they do a good job of policing the board so that the level discussion stays within that target. There is one mod who can be a little quick on the trigger, but ....

I remind this board that the 2011 mojo was, in part, generated by a men's board incursion on the the "senior" board. Keep that in mind for the future. In moderation, it is an entertaining clash of worlds.

Reaction Score

There's nothing particularly complicated about the offense the women run. I'm not sure what your range of motion is from your straightjacket, so you might not be able to see this, but the men under Ollie have run plenty of sets that are just as intricate as anything the women run. One major difference is that (a) there are very large, very quick defenders clogging up the court and (b) UConn does not at any given time have the 5 fastest and most talented players on the floor.

This idea that "if the men were ony as fundementally talented as the women" is just so moronic.

caw

Reaction Score
I didn't bother to read all of this.

On the court: there is really no good way to compare the two.
  • First you have the human measurable differences: smaller people, shorter arms. These allow for more gaps for the offense to run smoothly. Now throw in the disparity between quickness/jumping ability and it's easy to see how the men's game becomes more clogged down than the women's game and has to rely on athletic ability. On the same court, defenses take up more space (both horizontal and vertical).
  • Second you have the rule differences: no 10 second violation, different 5 second (closely guarded) rule, shot clock.
  • Third you have the physical game differences: Smaller basketballs, shorter 3 PT line. These two combine to increase shooting percentages both close and far to help compensate for the lack of comparable athletic ability.
  • Fourth, parity: there is just more parity in the men's game. The women's game doesn't have enough talented players to make it competitive yet. I do think it has gotten better on the women's side, but it's not the same.
If it's off the court:
  • Current UConn players have been model students for both teams.
  • Graduation, give the women the shot at 4 million a year and see how few stay to graduate.
  • Recruiting/greed: there is more money on the men's side and more shady characters surrounding these players from a young age, thus more violations. Women's basketball doesn't have as much money attached to it, if it did you can be sure teams would be paying players and the violations would mount up.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
what did i say that was so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads