The Official 2015 Mets Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Mets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Flores RBI double down the line. Cuddyer scores from 1st after getting on with a 2-out hit to LF.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Pure insanity. 1-0 METS!!!

mets1090

Reaction Score
This deGrom guy seems pretty good. Thoughts?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Collins was ejected in the fourth for arguing the Ceciliani call. Mets finally score in sixth and seventh and win the game.

Coincidence or not, our only win on this road trip occurred when our manager was not managing.

Reaction Score
Good news Mets fans is Chris Young has been excellent for the Yanks this year in his role.;)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
His name is...Steven Matz.

Wow.

Tuesday, see him at 2B.

Reaction Score
That was awesome!

Attachments

• image-4182150170.jpg
    image-4182150170.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 21
Reaction Score
Wow pitched well and had 3 hits and 4 rbi? That's a debut huh? Storybook

mets1090

Reaction Score
If this team can figure out how to do anything at the plate they should remain in the race all year.

Hopefully Murphy can come back healthy and have a typical finish to a contract year.

Reaction Score
The thought of this rotation 1 or 2 years from now has me giddy. Especially if Wheeler can come back and contribute next year. Harvey, deGrom, Thor, Matz and Wheeler. Ooof.

Familia on the back end with even a halfway decent set up staff there is enough.

Go get some hitters, Sandy.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Yeah the rotation is pretty remarkable. The best part (from a realistic point of view) is that they can basically afford to perpetually have one of them recovering from TJS which is basically standard at this point. As long as 4 of them are healthy per year then can plug in a serviceable 5 starter and potentially have the top starting rotation in baseball. If they ever get a combined 150 starts out of them in a single season...

Fortunately, they shouldn't need to rush Wheeler back next year which can sometimes be the temptation when you get TJS in March. Obviously a lot can change between now and then (would anyone really bet against one of the current pitchers needing surgery before the?) so we'll see how it goes. One thing we know for sure though is that if they can manage to assemble a league average offense, this is a playoff team.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Tommy John...when we get Wheeler back that should not be much of a worry. Harvey, DeGrom, Matz and Wheeler would have all had the surgery already and pitching on basically new elbows.

Matz had it in 2010, DeGrom in '11 I believe and both are back 100%. We know Harvey should be 100% based on what we see and the hope would be Wheeler also as he's starting to throw soon and all reports are everything is going great. Only concern would be Noah, but as you said the other 4 should be fine. I was of the belief of trading one for a big bat...but I'd rather just spend in FA (ha!) and have Conforto up here next year by the All-Star Break (latest), and make minimal upgrades in the line-up. I think that'll go a long way as opposed to packaging one of these guys for a big bat. You can always package Plawecki/Herrera/Montero/Niese, and some younger prospects if need be. But do not touch the 5 arms!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jesus. They got shut out for the 8th time this season....and worse than that, it was their FOURTH 1-0 shutout so far! That's like almost impossible, isn't it? I mean, shouldn't you be on the losing end of a 1-0 game like maybe once every season or so? Wow.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm dying for Marcus Lemonis to show up and clean house.

mets1090

Reaction Score
These days, if the pitcher doesn't chip in they basically can't score. It's pathetic. The problem is that they have so many guys starting who are just above replacement level players right now. It's not like you can point to 1 or 2 black holes in the lineup and say "If they just trade a couple prospect for a decent bat at Positions X and Y, the offense will be alright." They basically need to improve 2B, SS, LF, CF, and C right now. Obviously a healthy d'Arnaud and Wright would fix two of those issues, but neither of those can be counted on. And even if they were both healthy, you would still have 3 positions that just aren't cutting it at the plate. It's mind blowing that the front office is sitting here with this dirt cheap pitching staff and did nothing to go for it besides signing an injury prone 36 year old outfielder (though I'll give them a little bit of a pass because I don't think anyone would have predicted he would post a .662 OPS while fully healthy).

p.s. If this knee injury to Cuddyer ends up being long term, who gets the call? Do they bring Kirk back up? Or do they call up Nimmo/Conforto who are probably not ready? Are there any other options I'm forgetting?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Sandy needs to make a deal quickly for this season to have any hope. Assuming the Wright news is true and he can be back by the end of the month, you can upgrade 2B/SS/LF without even thinking twice. We NEED to make something happen, and quickly, if we want there to be any chance of salvaging the season.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I hate to say it but the Wright "news" is the worst thing that could have happened for the team imo. It is clear from the reports that no one knows what it means in terms of his viability, except that they can continue to string everyone along while they wait for more certainty, which I don't think is likely when--at best--he's just beginning to return to limited baseball activities next week.

But what it definitely means is that the Mets cannot count on receiving the 75% insurance coverage for his contract once he becomes active again, which, in turn, means that they won't be willing to open their wallets for any significant upgrades while this remains uncertain.

Does anyone think that returning a guy who now has to manage a chronic back problem and has missed large parts of the last two seasons with injuries is the answer?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
These days, if the pitcher doesn't chip in they basically can't score. It's pathetic. The problem is that they have so many guys starting who are just above replacement level players right now. It's not like you can point to 1 or 2 black holes in the lineup and say "If they just trade a couple prospect for a decent bat at Positions X and Y, the offense will be alright." They basically need to improve 2B, SS, LF, CF, and C right now. Obviously a healthy d'Arnaud and Wright would fix two of those issues, but neither of those can be counted on. And even if they were both healthy, you would still have 3 positions that just aren't cutting it at the plate. It's mind blowing that the front office is sitting here with this dirt cheap pitching staff and did nothing to go for it besides signing an injury prone 36 year old outfielder (though I'll give them a little bit of a pass because I don't think anyone would have predicted he would post a .662 OPS while fully healthy).

p.s. If this knee injury to Cuddyer ends up being long term, who gets the call? Do they bring Kirk back up? Or do they call up Nimmo/Conforto who are probably not ready? Are there any other options I'm forgetting?

Looking at Las Vegas's roster, Alex Castellanos and Travis Taijeron are both slugging .936, but neither of them come highly recommended.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I cannot stand it. Now heading to LA for Grenke and Kershaw. Out of it by all star break, with deGrom our sole rep.
< 2 mos. to 'nova game, thank goodness

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I hate to say it but the Wright "news" is the worst thing that could have happened for the team imo. It is clear from the reports that no one knows what it means in terms of his viability, except that they can continue to string everyone along while they wait for more certainty, which I don't think is likely when--at best--he's just beginning to return to limited baseball activities next week.

But what it definitely means is that the Mets cannot count on receiving the 75% insurance coverage for his contract once he becomes active again, which, in turn, means that they won't be willing to open their wallets for any significant upgrades while this remains uncertain.

Does anyone think that returning a guy who now has to manage a chronic back problem and has missed large parts of the last two seasons with injuries is the answer?

Do you really think the Wilpons are going to reinvest any of that insurance money? They do just enough to keep the fans from revolting.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
So right Rico. So many kindred soles on this thread. Helps a bit.
Wrightvis finished, like Tiger Woods. Thor has no shot tonight.
Predicting it now : 6-0 LA

Reaction Score
Alum86 said:
So right Rico. So many kindred soles on this thread. Helps a bit. Wrightvis finished, like Tiger Woods. Thor has no shot tonight. Predicting it now : 6-0 LA

You were saying? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01