The Official 2015 Mets Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Mets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Matz didn't even let a ball leave the infield in 7 innings...
4 infield singles?

Edit: I just looked at the play by play and this isn't even close to true lol. He did set the last 9 down in order without a ball leaving the infield (4 strikeouts).

Last edited:

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Well, cannot get any worse than this, right? The hitting checked out a while ago and now the D.
Can we please just release Campbell, btw? And Mayberry.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Seems that it's time to take a step back and look at this roster objectively. This season isn't beyond saving (obviously - they're only 1.5 back) but they need to get Murphy back and add a guy like Zobrist if they want to have a shot. Just think about how much better the lineup would look with Murphy at 3rd and Zobrist at second. We're very fortunate they're even close right now so if they're going to go for it this year, they need to do it soon.

The team isn't in bad shape moving forward because they have a rotation that can go toe to toe with anyone in the majors, but I don't think they can make the playoffs this year as currently constructed.

On a related note, do the Mets just have the worst training staff in the league? It seems every injury takes twice as long to heal as expected. Murphy was originally thought to be back this past Saturday. Then it was Tuesday. Now it's this weekend.

Reaction Score
The only thing that is salvageable is our defense. Put Flores at 3rd, Tejada at SS and when Murph returns off his one month vacation from a tight hammy (.....) put Murph at 3rd, Tejada at SS and Flores at 2nd and send down Herrera. Also get Jason Granderson out of the leadoff spot and bat him 6th and put him in LF.

Tejada - SS
Murphy - 3B
D'Arnaud - C
Duda - 1B
Cuddyer - RF
Granderson - LF
Flores - 2B
Lagares - CF

Last edited:

mets1090

Reaction Score
The only thing that is salvageable is our defense. Put Flores at 3rd, Tejada at SS and when Murph returns off his one month vacation from a tight hammy (.....) put Murph at 3rd, Tejada at SS and Flores at 2nd and send down Herrera. Also get Jason Granderson out of the leadoff spot and bat him 6th and put him in LF.

Tejada - SS
Murphy - 3B
D'Arnaud - C
Duda - 1B
Cuddyer - RF
Granderson - LF
Flores - 2B
Lagares - CF
My god that's a horrible lineup. Not a shot at you, just the sad state of this team.

Agreed with regards to the defense. Tejada at SS is an upgrade over Flores, Murphy at 3B is probably a slight upgrade over Tejada based on experience, and Flores at 2B is probably less bad than Flores at SS.

In the meantime, it's a joke that they haven't swapped Flores and Tejada because of some dream that he's the SS of the future. On top of his below average glove and bad composure/decision making in the field, Flores' OPS is 50 points lower than Tejada's. I'm not sure there's any team out there that would play Flores at a position other than 2B or 3B.

Reaction Score
I'm so glad I didn't catch any of this crap this weekend. Horrible last 5 games, went from 6 over and 1.5 up to a game over and 1.5 and .5 ahead of 3rd place in the blink of an eye. Something needs to change, and quickly.

Also not saying injuries are an excuse but look at this list: Wheeler (year), Edgin (year), Black (not even close to returning, all year), Blevins (2 months and counting), d'Arnaud (2 months), Wright (all year except for 8 games), Murphy (over a month combined I believe), on top of mejia's suspension. That's 3/4 best hitters missing significant time, 4 of our main bullpen arms out or suspended, and your 2nd/3rd starter out the year. While injuries happen this would be a lot for any team to overcome.

Lineup should've been: Granderson, Wright, Murphy, Duda, d'Arnaud, Cuddyer, Flores, Lagares. Add in a rotation at this point which was supposed to be: Harvey, DeGrom, Wheeler, Colon and Noah with Niese and Gee gone and Matz on the way up and a pen of Mejia setting up Familia (or vice-versa originally), with Black/Parnell back by end of April, with Edgin as the lefty or Blevins (who we wouldn't have even gotten if not for Edgin injury).

Amazing how health makes a diff, huh?

mets1090

Reaction Score
I'm surprised there wasn't a team with pitching injuries that was willing to roll the dice on him for half a season. It would effectively be a $3 million risk for a guy that has a track record as a 4 or 5 starter (whose FIP this year is pretty close to his career average). Plus he has another year of arbitration which would make him a relatively cheap option if he pitched well enough.

In any event, outside of having to pay him that $3 million this is theoretically a good thing for the Mets. If they remain in the playoff race it can't hurt to have the extra arm in case of injuries. And if they fall out of the race he could make a spot start or two later in the season to help eat some innings.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised there wasn't a team with pitching injuries that was willing to roll the dice on him for half a season. It would effectively be a $3 million risk for a guy that has a track record as a 4 or 5 starter (whose FIP this year is pretty close to his career average). Plus he has another year of arbitration which would make him a relatively cheap option if he pitched well enough.

In any event, outside of having to pay him that $3 million this is theoretically a good thing for the Mets. If they remain in the playoff race it can't hurt to have the extra arm in case of injuries. And if they fall out of the race he could make a spot start or two later in the season to help eat some innings.

The Mets fan in me agrees....the objective person in me thinks Dillon Gee's grow on trees and if a team really needs someone like him, they can go get him any time relatively on the cheap.

mets1090

Reaction Score
The Mets fan in me agrees....the objective person in me thinks Dillon Gee's grow on trees and if a team really needs someone like him, they can go get him any time relatively on the cheap.
I don't know, AJ Burnett was coming off a season in which he had a 4.59 ERA at 37 years old and signed for $8.5 million. Justin Masterson (29 years old, 5.88 ERA) got $9.5 million. (Edit) Most people also think Bartolo Colon has been a good value with his ~4.40 ERA for $20 million over 2 years. Sure there's something to be said for eating innings but the fact is he's been the quality of a 4 or 5 starter.

I have a hard time believing that given contracts like that, no one out there could use half a season of a 29 year year old with a track record as a 4.0 ERA pitcher for $3 million. I'm happy to have a guy like Gee stashed in the minors. If he eventually makes another start for the Mets, he'll be pitching for his next contract so we shouldn't need to worry about his attitude getting in the way.

Reaction Score

:mad: "He'll be in the line-up tomorrow night" - Terry Collins

Seriously this team can go F itself.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Dogg, you are so correct. Stringing us along. Like Wright'll back after the all star break too

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We've only recently gotten my Metsoloft prescription down to a manageable level and I'm trying to wean myself off entirely.
Time to up the Rx again.

And find something else to watch this summer. Again.

mets1090

Reaction Score
The fact that Dodgers ownership was forced to sell but the Wilpons haven't been is absurd. The player's union should be up in arms over the fact that a New York team has a payroll around $100M good for 21st in the baseball. With the way contracts are moving, a New York team should have a $200M payroll.

I'm not one to say teams should just go out and spend for the sake of spending. It's great that they've been able to assemble this pitching staff through the draft and through acquiring prospects via trade. But the idea is that when you have a top 5 pitching staff assembled for the cost of Max Scherzer's average salary for the next 6 years.... open the damn check book and bring in some bats.

Reaction Score
It's almost at the point where TC may need to be a fall guy, even if it's not his fault (and he is a terrible manager), but this may be out of his control. For all the problems with ownership, Sandy may need to go after this season. This team is extremely weak is all areas except for pitching and you can not build half a team with no positional depth and bank on guys staying healthy. What I'd give for Omar years right now...

mets1090

Reaction Score
TC is a pretty terrible manager and should be fired regardless of their record to this point. With all the injuries you can't blame him per se, but that also doesn't make him a good manager.

This is Alderson's 5th season and the only bats he has acquired have been Grandy (yuck), Cuddyer (yuck), and d'Arnaud (obviously a good acquisition but has had terrible luck with injuries). It's amazing to me that the front office wasn't able to identify that they had an overload of young pitching and did nothing to either add a hitter through free agency or simply swap a guy like Matz for a comparable hitter. Instead we're left with a lineup that, when missing 3 above average players, can't score 2 runs on a consistent basis. They can point to injuries all they want but it's not like they're missing Trout, Cabrera, and Stanton.

Reaction Score
Rumors are buzzing about the Mets making a trade.. Let's see what comes from it.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, deGrom is dominating as usual. 5 strikeouts and 1 hit through 4 innings on just 48 pitches.

The offense at least has a few hits and walks but hasn't been able to cash in. Just following online but it seems Cuddyer was called safe at the plate in the 2nd but the call was overturned.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, deGrom is dominating as usual. 5 strikeouts and 1 hit through 4 innings on just 48 pitches.

The offense at least has a few hits and walks but hasn't been able to cash in. Just following online but it seems Cuddyer was called safe at the plate in the 2nd but the call was overturned.

I just tuned in but I guess TC used his challenge on the play and turned out to be wrong. Then Ceciliani was called out trying to steal 2nd and was clearing safe but we couldn't challenge. TC got ran after that.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I just tuned in but I guess TC used his challenge on the play and turned out to be wrong. Then Ceciliani was called out trying to steal 2nd and was clearing safe but we couldn't challenge. TC got ran after that.
Ugh. Sucks that they couldn't challenge on the steal but you virtually have to challenge any play at the plate since there's no guarantee you'll even have another play worth challenging the rest of the game.

This is starting to look like another 1-0 or 2-1 game which the Mets don't seem to be able to win anymore. deGrom needs to keep putting goose eggs on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom