The moment Stewie became a Superstar.... and won the N.C. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The moment Stewie became a Superstar.... and won the N.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Geno responded, "We're doing great down there (with those items), what I forgot to tell them is, pass the ball to my guys and stop throwing the ball away. It's unbelievable what we've done the last 5 minutes. I don't even know what to say, I'm speechless. We've just got to settle down. (while walking away) Geez oh man!" All this with about 12 minutes left in the game up by 19 points. We're lucky to have him.

Yeah, but he just barely kept a straight face while he was saying those words.

Reaction Score
No UConn freshman has ever had as great a finish to the year as Stewie and her defense was a strong force at the end of the year. But her "you can't shoot if you can't see" D against Maryland early on had already set up to be a terror on the court.

AP13033012878.jpg

I thought Michael Jordan put that canard to rest from the foul line.

Reaction Score
I liked this post it was a good read until "She doesn't do anything well, she does EVERYTHING well"- kind of an oxymoron. Perhaps, She doesn't do some things well, she does EVERYTHING well

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
There was a drive from the left in the 2nd half, the Red Sea parted and she stuck a floater.
I knew then (if not before).
Boy was she feeling it- that play was a real tipping point for her. As big as that one was- there was a tip in at the rim that Doris was in awe of- where her finger tips were the height of the rim! My favorite was when she crashed the offensive boards from the foul line or top of the key and just snared a high rebound that looked like it would allude (not sure what allude means), and she just goes back up with the ball laying it in for two- looked like an NBA rebound with her long arm and large hand coming out of no where!!!

T

TroyHouse66

Stewie's place in the Constellation.
Geno, by March each year, creates a basketball Constellation where there are no stars (needed).
Conn bball depends on no ONE... they all depend on each other, but are not dependent... they trust in & with each other.
Gliding in a, seemingly, endless set of flowing, switching options.
A Defense that flows into instant Offense. And an enterprising Offense that touches many hands &, THEN, the bottom of a net.
OH, the young Stewie is not (herself) perfect... but is adroit enough in so many aspects as to have a feel for the game...
Stew IS "the straw that stirs the drink". And the more polish she acquires... the more the team shines.

gung ho [gʌŋ həʊ] adj
1. extremely enthusiastic and enterprising, sometimes to excess
2.(Military) extremely keen to participate in military combat
[pidgin English, from Mandarin Chinese kung work + ho together]

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
I liked this post it was a good read until "She doesn't do anything well, she does EVERYTHING well"- kind of an oxymoron. Perhaps, She doesn't do some things well, she does EVERYTHING well

Wow. That's what you took away from this post and all the discussion? I'll try to do better next time. :(

FYI, there is a new invention in literary circles you may have missed. It is called "punctuation." :cool:

T

TroyHouse66

David is RIGHT!!!
<<... there is a new invention... you may have missed. ... called "punctuation".>>

If you can't be on time, don't rush into analysis.
(Unless you can find a shrink that works on piecework.)

[Thank you for the initial post, David. It was an opportunity to recognize Stew.
Her radiant smile the last few games was such a blessing after watching the sadness and self-doubt in her face as she battled herself mid-season.]

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Stewie will be the Star but the Unsung Hero of this team will be Morgan Tuck. She'll do all the dirty work that won't be recognized by the National Media, but the coaches and the players will.
I concur on this.We all applaud Stewart,and it is deserving,but Tuck will be one of the best players in the 2014-2016 seasons,IMO.A lot to like form the three amigos going forth.

Reaction Score
For me, Stewart really stood out to me in the Big East and NCAA tournaments. I think from the Maryland game on she scored 20 points in those last 4 games. But in the FF she blew my(and pretty much everyone else's)mind(s).

Reaction Score
Well this was very well written, and a great story, I have one issue with the title. AND WON THE NC. To me, reading that makes it sound like she single handily won the national title. The truth of the matter is, that while she emerged as a star, UCONN never would have won this title without KML, Dolson, Faris, Hartley all who played some of their best basketball of the season, especially in the final four. While Dolson's numbers were down, she was playing thought two injuries. I would not mind if it said and help win the nc. But the wording to me is wrong.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Well this was very well written, and a great story, I have one issue with the title. AND WON THE NC. To me, reading that makes it sound like she single handily won the national title. The truth of the matter is, that while she emerged as a star, UCONN never would have won this title without KML, Dolson, Faris, Hartley all who played some of their best basketball of the season, especially in the final four. While Dolson's numbers were down, she was playing thought two injuries. I would not mind if it said and help win the nc. But the wording to me is wrong.

Thank you for pointing out "the truth of the matter" that UConn actually had five players on the court during the NCAA tournament. The good news is I knew that, having watched all the games. ;)

Reaction Score
Thank you for pointing out "the truth of the matter" that UConn actually had five players on the court during the NCAA tournament. The good news is I knew that, having watched all the games. ;)

So then why write something about how Stewart won the National title. It was a team effort..

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Because. The. Article. Was. About. Stewie.

Gosh, I hope I wrote that slow enough for you to follow. KML won the NC that night. Faris won the NC that night. They all won the NC that night. Nobody disputes that. 4,396 read this post and a vast majority understood the meaning of the title and the story. Feel free to have the last word, as you no doubt will.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
or...
The moment Stewie became a Superstar... And Helped Win The NC.

Reaction Score
It is true that Stef played with courage comparable to Willis Reed (and she stayed on the court longer), but Stewie played like Walt Frazier did in that game. As I recall, Clyde had 36 points and 17 assists, one of the greatest peerformances ever by an NBA player in a championship game -- but it remains forgotten in favor of Willis going out on the MSG court and knocking down two shots to inspire his team and drive the crowd into a frenzy.
But now people tend to forget Stef and recognize Stewie. Stef should meet Clyde. Forgotten Heroes indeed.

Believe it or not you sold Clyde short. 19 assists! (per NYT). 36 points on 12 for 17 FG, 12 for 12 FT. Wow!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Gosh, I hope I wrote that slow enough for you to follow. KML won the NC that night. Feris won the NC that night. They all won the NC that night. Nobody disputes that. 4,396 read this post and 4,395 understood the meaning of the title and story. Feel free to have the last word, as you no doubt will.

I have to say that even though I didn't post about it, the subject line was not something I liked.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
UCONN, I was using minimalist alteration. Trying to use the fewest letters.

Plus as everyone know We win, while They lose.

Reaction Score

Gosh, I hope I wrote that slow enough for you to follow. KML won the NC that night. Feris won the NC that night. They all won the NC that night. Nobody disputes that. 4,396 read this post and 4,395 understood the meaning of the title and story. Feel free to have the last word, as you no doubt will.

You do not need to be rude... but it must just be in your nature. While you insult me, you also insult Kelly by not knowing how to spell her last name. Regardless if I am the one person out of the 4,396 people who did not "like" the meaning of your title, ( I do understand what you were going with, and still think it is wrong).... it does not matter, I have the right to express my opinion on the matter as you have the right to post comments about writing things slow enough. And while we are at it, how does the speed at which you type help people comprehend the meaning of the words you use? Especially when you leave out key words...Icebear and Phil can show you how using an additional word or two makes the whole thing better and changes the entire meaning.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
You do not need to be rude... but it must just be in your nature. While you insult me, you also insult Kelly by not knowing how to spell her last name. Regardless if I am the one person out of the 4,396 people who did not "like" the meaning of your title, ( I do understand what you were going with, and still think it is wrong).... it does not matter, I have the right to express my opinion on the matter as you have the right to post comments about writing things slow enough. And while we are at it, how does the speed at which you type help people comprehend the meaning of the words you use? Especially when you leave out key words...Icebear and Phil can show you how using an additional word or two makes the whole thing better and changes the entire meaning.

neag.....My apology if you feel insulted, I was using sarcasm. The Faris error was a typo, which I've corrected. Just like the first word in your original post. Perhaps you meant "while" but it came out "well." No big deal. You and I both have a deep affection for UConn women's basketball and the wonderful players. We should get along. I put lots of effort and research into the various pieces I post and it is a bit insulting when you say "the truth of the matter is....UConn would have never won this title without KML, Dolson, Faris, Hartley..." The implication being that I don't get that fact. I do, and said so several times in the discussion. The title was not "wrong", but using "helped" would have been better. I admit that, again. I can't change the title, only the moderators can. Let's focus on watching UConn try to win the 9th N.C. and then we can co-write the resulting article....Go Huskies..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom