The moment Stewie became a Superstar.... and won the N.C. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The moment Stewie became a Superstar.... and won the N.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The moment Stewie became a SuperDooper Star was when she caused at least a half dozen Boneyard posters to write stuff that reads like they are now clones of TonyC. Who's next to jump on the 195-0 bandwagon?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The coming out of our freshman was just a matter of time. Breanna imo I think that with all the pressure of the BE final and the NCAAs made her forget what she was suppose to do and just do what came naturally. She stopped thinking. The next 3 years are going to be a lot of fun and fun to watch her develop. The one thing that Geno and company do is develop their kids imo better then any other coach. MoJeff and Mogan are going to show you a lot more this season, starting with confidence in their outside shooting. Kiah will emerge as a quiet star this season and Saniya Chong will make you think of Diana with her passing.
I hope you are right.

We are at a very special time in UConn WBB. This year once again we have an almost unbeatable team. I will predict another undefeated season and for those of you who need me to say it "IF" we stay healthly.
I could see that. Good chance anyway.

Another "IF" is if Wilson commits 195-0 just might be reality.
Well I won't go that far. If UCONN was able to beat their own 90 record, that would in itself be amazing enough.

Reaction Score
Great job DavidinNaples! especially liked this part: "Stewie is a reluctant Superstar. She doesn't pound her chest, pull out her jersey to show the crowd or pump her fist and yell out loud. Instead, she grins shyly, claps her hands in pure joy and credits her teammates at every turn!"
I don't think I've ever seen her grin shyly, her whole face just lights up!
th

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bird, DT, Cash, Williams, Jones was pretty damn good.

Although I would agree this group may be able to make one forget. :)
But I would argue that for most of America Jones and William were largely in the shadows and not "name" stars in the sport until near the end of their careers. Yes, I know where they were ranked but I still think there is a qualitative difference in name power.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But I would argue that for most of America Jones and William were largely in the shadows and not "name" stars in the sport until near the end of their careers. Yes, I know where they were ranked but I still think there is a qualitative difference in name power.
hmmm maybe.

Reaction Score
What a thread! I'm wearing out my finger pressing the "like" button.

While watching the Final Four games, I was thinking Stewie was pulling her version of Ali's rope-a-dope. Meanwhile, Stef was re-enacting Willis Reed's memorable critical game performance while injured. Then there's MoJef's tenacious focused defense, even when the ball wasn't anywhere near her man, Bria's aggressive offense, and her return to AA form, Kelly, adding an exclamation point to her spectacular career with a great steal and layup, Kaleena's turning broken plays into lightning 3 point daggers, Caroline's steady play and calming influence, Morgan popping free from a mob of defenders to sink a spectacular reverse layup, Kiah's taking it all in and absorbing the atmosphere to be put to good use next year, and, who can forget Heather's smile after her steal, going all the way for the layup.

Reaction Score
We also need to give Geno some credit. He didn't disappoint. To sum up his performance, all that is needed is to recall his interview with Holly Rowe:

During a time-out huddle, he gave the team a recipe for not allowing a comeback - no threes, no second chance points, and no fouls. Holly asked how they were doing in that regard.

Geno responded, "We're doing great down there (with those items), what I forgot to tell them is, pass the ball to my guys and stop throwing the ball away. It's unbelievable what we've done the last 5 minutes. I don't even know what to say, I'm speechless. We've just got to settle down. (while walking away) Geez oh man!" All this with about 12 minutes left in the game up by 19 points. We're lucky to have him.

Reaction Score
It all stems back to Geno's statement when Stewie signed with UConn, she'll have to get used to me, and I'll need to get used to her. After the tournament when asked about growing the women's game, Geno said maybe what they need is Stewie. Even in High School, when Breanna was the best player on the floor, she didn't try to take all the shots, or stand in the lane, to block all the shots. What you see is who she is, someone who enjoys the game, but wants to win, but could care less whether she is the star.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Since writing this original post, the following has been pointed out:
1. There are no photos of Stewie smiling "shyly"...her whole face lights up when she is happy... I agree.
2. Geno is a really, really good coach and deserves tons of credit for Stewie's and UConn's results... I agree.
3. KML, Dolson and the rest of the team caught fire the same time as Stewie and the results was a N.C.....I agree
4. As good as Stewie is right now, she could get better, and better, and better....Agree
5. I need to aim higher than being like Phil when I grow up....OK.

It was a blast to write the original post, but even better to watch the added analysis, information and discussion with fellow Boneyard members. Thanks. Go Huskies...

Reaction Score
Williams was HS player of the year coming in, and they were drafted 4 and 6 by the WNBA. I love Hartley and MoJeff but don't think either are anywhere close to that level.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Williams was HS player of the year coming in, and they were drafted 4 and 6 by the WNBA. I love Hartley and MoJeff but don't think either are anywhere close to that level.
And I bet in that era both Williams and Jones were essentially unknown names to most WCBB fans. The same is not true today. MoJeff was off the charts as the highest rated PG (98) ever. She was, also, rated #1 at one point.

Reaction Score
Tamika made a major splash as a freshman, and was the first member of that class to have a large national profile, before either Sue or Swin. Asjha did take the longest to develop her game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Stef Stewie KML Tuck Stokes have to be the greatest front court in WCBB maybe ever. This season they will be almost unstoppable. Its gonna be a fun season to be a UConn fan. Geno seems to keep raising the bar year after year and its becoming almost unreachable for opponets.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Bringing this one back in honor of Breanna's birthday..!!! Go Huskies..!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Absolutely! She should receive the Willis Reed Trophy!

It is true that Stef played with courage comparable to Willis Reed (and she stayed on the court longer), but Stewie played like Walt Frazier did in that game. As I recall, Clyde had 36 points and 17 assists, one of the greatest peerformances ever by an NBA player in a championship game -- but it remains forgotten in favor of Willis going out on the MSG court and knocking down two shots to inspire his team and drive the crowd into a frenzy.

But now people tend to forget Stef and recognize Stewie. Stef should meet Clyde. Forgotten Heroes indeed.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
It is true that Stef played with courage comparable to Willis Reed (and she stayed on the court longer), but Stewie played like Walt Frazier did in that game. As I recall, Clyde had 36 points and 17 assists, one of the greatest peerformances ever by an NBA player in a championship game -- but it remains forgotten in favor of Willis going out on the MSG court and knocking down two shots to inspire his team and drive the crowd into a frenzy.

But now people tend to forget Stef and recognize Stewie. Stef should meet Clyde. Forgotten Heroes indeed.

D...One of the greatest sports moments of my life. Willis with the inspiration, Walt with the rescue.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Stef Stewie KML Tuck Stokes have to be the greatest front court in WCBB maybe ever. This season they will be almost unstoppable. Its gonna be a fun season to be a UConn fan. Geno seems to keep raising the bar year after year and its becoming almost unreachable for opponets.

Golly, leaves the back court a little light maybe?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Stewie will be the Star but the Unsung Hero of this team will be Morgan Tuck. She'll do all the dirty work that won't be recognized by the National Media, but the coaches and the players will.

Nobody who really watched the NCAAs last spring could fail to keep an eye on this player. Tuck was a significant force on a dominant team. Her summer told the world "that was no fluke." She will not be unnoticed. She will deliver.

Reaction Score
Look at UConn's greatest players and none of them could do all that Breanna does. Maya couldn't block shots like Breanna, Tina couldn't shoot the three like Breanna, Rebecca couldn't handle the ball like Breanna, D couldn't play the front on the press like Breanna. As Doris Burke said her length and athleticism make Breanna a difficult matchup. No one on Notre Dame could guard her. Not Braker, OChonwa, McBride. No one.

Reaction Score
Stewie will be the Star but the Unsung Hero of this team will be Morgan Tuck. She'll do all the dirty work that won't be recognized by the National Media, but the coaches and the players will.

Actually I thought the announcers of the Final Four gave lavish praise to Morgan for her overall great performance off the bench even in spite of her missing nearly every perimeter shot she took.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maya was an unbelievable shot blocker. At 6' none better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom