The moment Stewie became a Superstar.... and won the N.C. | The Boneyard

The moment Stewie became a Superstar.... and won the N.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
4-7_Stewart.jpg

Breanna Stewart came to UConn as the #1 high school player in the country, a multiple Gold medal winner with USA basketball and with the expectation she would become the next Superstar in a long line of Huskie All-Americans. She started her career just as expected, breaking the all-time UConn record for points scored in the first 10 games as a freshman. She led a good UConn team in scoring in 4 of her first 5 games, scoring over 20 points three times. Superstardom was a matter of when, not if...

By the middle of the long season, her fortunes had changed and Stewie hit a prolonged slump. Whether it was all the travel, staying in strange hotels, the incredible grind of tough UConn practices or the physical play of opponents who decided the only way to stop her was to rough her up, Stewie's production dropped dramatically. The bottom came Feb. 18th against Baylor when she played only 7 minutes and finished with 0 points, 0 rebounds and 0 blocks. Superstars normally play their best in big games, but Stewie had just put up her worst effort with the world watching.

By March 12th, against Notre Dame in the Big East tournament final, Stewie's play was improving. She scored 16 points, but went 0-4 from 3 pt. range and totaled just 2 rebounds and 1 blocked shot. UConn lost yet another heartbreaker in the last few seconds. The UConn brain trust huddled and a different team entered the NCAA tournament. And most noticeably, Stewie was different. After sitting out the first game with a slight muscle strain, Stewie scored 14, 17 and then 21 points in the Vandy, Maryland and Kentucky games. She also totaled 17 rebounds and 10 blocks, but shot just 2 for 7 on three pointers.

Then UConn played the most important game of the season, the semi-final against arch nemesis Notre Dame, architect of 3 of UConn's 4 losses. (Three terrible losses, with blown leads, missed free throws and lousy execution at critical times.) Just 41 seconds into the game, Stewie took her first 3 pt shot, and missed. But she battled back and scored 12 points in the half on 5 for 8 shooting. With UConn down 18-20, Stewie hit her first 3 with 5:26 left in the half. Then with 41 seconds left, she put UConn ahead by 9 with another 3 pointer. N.D. was down, but not out.

The second half was Stewie's "coming out party". Just 1:07 into period, Stewie hit another 3 to put UConn up 12. Eight minutes later, she hit the 3 pictured above to take the lead back to 13. She had taken over. After a furious rally from N.D. cut the lead to 7, a jumper from Stewie raised it back to 9. Moments later a block, a rebound and two free throws, all by Stewie, made the lead 13 again. After a jumper by KML, two more free throws from Stewie extended the lead to 15. The game was over even with three minutes still to play. For the game, Stewie scored 29 points, had 5 rebounds, 4 blocked shots, as well as an assist and a steal in 35 magical minutes. She was 4 for 5 from 3 pt. range, while the rest of the team was just 2 for 8. The final against Louisville was academic. It was close early, but ended in a rout. Stewie was the tournament's Most Outstanding Player and UConn's newest Superstar.

Stewie is a reluctant Superstar. She doesn't pound her chest, pull out her jersey to show the crowd or pump her fist and yell out loud. Instead, she grins shyly, claps her hands in pure joy and credits her teammates at every turn. She doesn't just do anything well, she does EVERYTHING well. In the two most important games of the season, she scored 52 points on 61.3% shooting, went 7 for 8 from 3 pt. range, grabbed 14 rebounds, had 7 blocked shots, 4 steals and only 2 turnovers in 65 minutes. Superstar numbers at the season's most critical time....and her first N.C. Go Huskies...

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Certainly the Post of the Day, if not for the entire off-season. Reads like Diana. After reading "her first NC," I don't dare write what I am thinking.............

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
While I share your enthusiasm for the timely re-emergence of Stewie's manifold talents, your well written piece does not mention a couple of very salient points about her performance. First, while her star shone the brightest, she was surrounded by an entire team that was enjoying a resurgence of excellence. Second, with Stewie the increasingly hot hand, Geno schooled the offense in the final four to look for her with a vengeance and the team did that superbly.

Another point, unrelated to your fine post, is that I feel that somehow we have all to some degree slighted Stephanie Dolson. I consider her performance, despite painful injuries, one of the bravest, grittiest displays of athletic fortitude I have seen in WCBB.

Great piece, you ought to be a sports writer.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Another point, unrelated to your fine post, is that I feel that somehow we have all to some degree slighted Stephanie Dolson. I consider her performance, despite painful injuries, one of the bravest, grittiest displays of athletic fortitude I have seen in WCBB.

It was indeed and largely lost in the hubbub following the NC. Stef always has a smile and a bubbly personality but behind that smiling face she showed she is as tough as they come.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There was a drive from the left in the 2nd half, the Red Sea parted and she stuck a floater.
I knew then (if not before).

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
There was a drive from the left in the 2nd half, the Red Sea parted and she stuck a floater.
I knew then (if not before).
That was a beautiful play.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Nicely done!!!

One thing. She broke the Uconn record, not all-time record for most points by a freshman in her first ten games.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
No UConn freshman has ever had as great a finish to the year as Stewie and her defense was a strong force at the end of the year. But her "you can't shoot if you can't see" D against Maryland early on had already set up to be a terror on the court.

AP13033012878.jpg

HGN

Reaction Score
Nice piece of journalism D.I.N..........I agree on all points. Great thing is, the team was focused and fed off each other. ND nor Louisville could really focus on any one player. KML , Kelly , Bria , and Stef all were cooking at one time or the other during those 2 games..... With Stewie doing the serving.

Two (2) great meals got served in a town known for its tasteful and exotic cuisine. Those 2 teams that got served may not have liked the taste of the meals , but UConn loved cooking it up and serving it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I would disagree strongly with the notion that Breanna does everything well. She has an exceptional skill set, but her footwork, upper and lower body strength, shot selection, passing, and ability to be part of the offensive flow (i.e., being able to allow offense to flow through her and not just to her), are all areas where she could stand to improve immensely. What she started to acquire in the BET and carried forward into the NCAAs is the swagger and confidence of someone who belongs. Once she fully develops physically and understands what Geno wants her to be able to do, she will be breathtakingly good.

I'm not really sure who to compare her to at UConn. Someone like a Tina Charles was an exceptional physical specimen who needed Geno harping on her for the better part of three years to fully figure it out. Breanna may need that long herself...but Tina wasn't capable of being MOP of a Final Four as a freshman or even as a sophomore. UConn has also had some kids who just seemed to get it from Day 1. Breanna hasn't been like that either.

One thing is for sure: over time, Breanna is only going to be more and more critical to UConn's success. Fortunately, she has the cushion of another year of Stef and Bria and two more with KML. I don't necessarily expect her to play throughout the balance of her sophomore year like she did in the tourney, but I don't think she'll have to. By the time she does have to, she'll be more than up to it.

Reaction Score
I'm not really sure who to compare her to at UConn.

For now I'm going with a reasonably decent player UConn had by the name of Rebecca Lobo. Subject to change of course, but there are clear similarities in physique and skill sets.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
alex....no doubt Breanna can improve various parts of her game as well as her physique...Often players are categorized as "scorers" or "rebounders" or "shot blockers". I simply meant that Stewie does all the "measurable statistical stuff" well..ie: score points, shoot 3 pointers, rebound,shot block, low turnovers...she is unusual in that sense, although KML is also incredibly special... Forgive my poetic license with the line, "She does everything well"...otherwise we agree totally about her having great support with KML, Dolson, Bria, Tuck, Jefferson, etc.... Go Huskies...

Reaction Score
I have always said "Don't count on freshman when it comes to the big games." (DT. against ND as a freshman etc...) After this year's tournament, I have to reassess my thinking on this. (Boy was I wrong) All the freshmen played to their ability. Stewie nailed it.

Un defeated next year? Who is the competion? Duke, Baylor? ND? Stanford...??? :confused: No injuries I hope.

Reaction Score
Great job DavidinNaples! especially liked this part: "Stewie is a reluctant Superstar. She doesn't pound her chest, pull out her jersey to show the crowd or pump her fist and yell out loud. Instead, she grins shyly, claps her hands in pure joy and credits her teammates at every turn!"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not a sports writer, but I do want to be like Phil when I grow up...maybe Assistant Stats guy....:)
Nothing against Phil, but to be like someone on the Boneyard???? You gotta shoot higher than that. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This FF Stewart was the Stewart I was expecting this year. Took longer than I thought to get there though. If she can keep her confidence and build on it (along with improving in areas she needs to), we'll see this Stewart as often as needed. If you have seen her in USA BB or McD games, you've seen her with the ability to completely take over a game (be the best player on the floor) whenever she wants or feels the need to.

UCONN probably won't have a lot of need for her to do that next year, and with plenty of other players to defer to, not sure how much we'll see next year. That will be one of Geno's and the coaches jobs is to get her to play to her abilities even if not needed. (kinda the same for KML) But 3 years to do that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Dolson, Stewart, KML, Hartley, Jefferson I do not remember there ever being a team in WCBB with 5 "name" stars and all worthy AAs as a line up. Everyone a capable scorer. Add to that a bench of Tuck, Banks, Stokes, Chong, (add Elmark if she comes early) and the skill and potency of this team is incredible and off the charts. :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Dolson, Stewart, KML, Hartley, Jefferson I do not remember there ever being a team in WCBB with 5 "name" stars and all worthy AAs as a line up.

Bird, DT, Cash, Williams, Jones was pretty damn good.
Everyone a capable scorer. Add to that a bench of Tuck, Banks, Stokes, Chong, (add Elmark if she comes early) and the skill and potency of this team is incredible and off the charts. :D
Although I would agree this group may be able to make one forget. :)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The coming out of our freshman was just a matter of time. Breanna imo I think that with all the pressure of the BE final and the NCAAs made her forget what she was suppose to do and just do what came naturally. She stopped thinking. The next 3 years are going to be a lot of fun and fun to watch her develop. The one thing that Geno and company do is develop their kids imo better then any other coach. MoJeff and Mogan are going to show you a lot more this season, starting with confidence in their outside shooting. Kiah will emerge as a quiet star this season and Saniya Chong will make you think of Diana with her passing.

We are at a very special time in UConn WBB. This year once again we have an almost unbeatable team. I will predict another undefeated season and for those of you who need me to say it "IF" we stay healthly. Another "IF" is if Wilson commits 195-0 just might be reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom