The house-cleaning at Rutgers has begun | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The house-cleaning at Rutgers has begun

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Was it called a draw after OT? How you decide that in fencing, penalty kicks?
I'm not really sure but officially the title that year was split between Army & Rutgers. My guess (considering Rutgers' athletics history) is that they were the only two participants that year but decided against actually competing. The NCAA had no choice but to split the title.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Looks like Chris Ash, OSU's DC is the new coach. Both Michigan and OSU lose their DC's to Big10 East teams.

Reaction Score
Okay, do the math with me, 26 athletes on the team at an average in state cost of $14,000 per (tuition, fees, room and board), 4 coaches at an average of $50,000, 12 travel events on this year's schedule including Corvallis, OR and several overnight events in IL and NY plus some busing events like Cornell (that ride would suck) but let's say between travel costs, hotels and food you are looking at $500 per athlete-coach per trip. I won't allocate training staff, facility costs or AD overhead, so you come up with a total of $744,000. My guess is that they have a total operating budget of close to $1mm when you add in all of the overhead allocations but will stick with $744k.

An average adult ticket cost is $20 for the general public ($16-$24 on line). Assuming students in the mix at $5 per ticket and season ticket holders at an average of $9 per ticket (combined let's take a guess at a 25% average event base split evenly for those two groups although my guess is that it would be more like 40% of your average crowd), your effective price per ticket is $16.75. That equals 44,417 tickets to break even on $744k. Do you have attendance figures for this year? Do you think they averaged over 3,700 per home event? I did see article that said 2,600 against MN with 5,500 expected for PSU. Assuming that MN is typical and adding in for PSU, you are still 25%+ short on ticket sales on low operating cost assumption and a high revenue assumption. Even if you assume 100% ticket sales at the average adult ticket price, you are 15%+ short.

Wrestling is not and never will be a self sustaining sport even at the highest levels. Not even at IOwa and NE. If you can't break even on WBB, field hockey or soccer (both sexes), how in the heck do you break even on wrestling? No media money, high costs. This does not imply that it is not a good sport. It just implies that your statement is pretty much not based in reality.
Wow....where do you find so much time for an unsponsered sport at you're school....like i said...go to RU's wrestling/olympic board where you'll get the answers from the sophisticated followers...I'm just a casual observer/fan enjoying the ride/recent success at RU...i really as i said DGAS about the details except winning...when you get to the B1G you'll probably add it...check it all out on RU's olympic sports board...I'm following the newest coaching hires now...exciting stuff whilst CR is in a lull...good luck in your bowl game..looks like BG'S Babers is going to Cuse next.

Reaction Score
Looks like Chris Ash, OSU's DC is the new coach. Both Michigan and OSU lose their DC's to Big10 East teams.

So Ash withdrew is name from the Syracuse job for Ruters, interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom