The house-cleaning at Rutgers has begun | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The house-cleaning at Rutgers has begun

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
RU is not so much the homeless guy as it is like George Willis, RIP, getting into the Baird School.
Nah, Willis came from money. RU...they were always on the outside looking in. By the way, many's the day that I've wanted to "take a flame thrower" to the P5 and the whole CR process.

I'm a little wary of what's going on in New Brunswick. As entertaining as it is to watch the garbage fire that Rutgers so consistently is, with decent leadership they could become a force in the region.

Reaction Score
If that annoys you you don't want to know who's interviewed recently at RU for the FB HC opening beyond MC according to their board..only 2 by Sunday ...hope it don't happen.
I'll guess, it was Brian Kelly because he knows that with the unlimited resources of RU he can overcome all the handicaps he has to deal with at ND and win a national championship. Or maybe Mark Richt because he sees all of the NJ talent that he can mold into an SEC like powerhouse. Or maybe it was Bellichek since the NFL has this vast conspiracy going on against him and he can't resist the challenge of building a doormat into a contender.

The real answer is that RU will hire either a marginally successful D1 coach (Mark Richt is not walking thru that door) like Schiano in a return engagement (added plus, they already built a house for him) or a coordinator from a major program or a MAC/AAC head coach. Their hire will be along the lines of hires made at IU, Ill, Purdue, NC State, Wake Forest and BC just like it has always been. It will not be like an OSU, MI or MSU hire.

Reaction Score
Wrestling ....sailing....WBB...WRESTLING is a HOT sport in B1G country but of course...lets talk sailing....not even really a sport. Wrestling at least pays for itself and NJ/Pa/OHIO are hotbeds. Can't believe how a state so close can be so out of touch as to be annoyed yet thinks Hockey is a gamechanger.
Are you saying wrestling is a game changer? How does wrestling pay for itself? There is no TV or radio income for wrestling. How many scholarships, coaches and how much is travel cost? I would love to see the pays for itself analysis. Creative accounting at its best. That is akin to saying that softball or field hockey pays for itself. I find it unlikely that wrestling a full scholarship program at any university (all of the athletes are on a full ride) because you would need the same number of women's scholarships.

Hockey is not a major game changer (when Bimidji State is a powerhouse, you can draw that conclusion) but it at least generates more revenue than wrestling could ever dream of. All D1 conferences have some form of a local/regional TV package and sell out tournaments in 12000+ seat arenas. Add in that is played at the highest level nationwide (except HI) by multiple universities.

Reaction Score
I don't like when people hint, either come out and say it or shut up. Sorry Nicky, there are times when you make me feel very uncomfortable.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'll guess, it was Brian Kelly because he knows that with the unlimited resources of RU he can overcome all the handicaps he has to deal with at ND and win a national championship. Or maybe Mark Richt because he sees all of the NJ talent that he can mold into an SEC like powerhouse. Or maybe it was Bellichek since the NFL has this vast conspiracy going on against him and he can't resist the challenge of building a doormat into a contender.

The real answer is that RU will hire either a marginally successful D1 coach (Mark Richt is not walking thru that door) like Schiano in a return engagement (added plus, they already built a house for him) or a coordinator from a major program or a MAC/AAC head coach. Their hire will be along the lines of hires made at IU, Ill, Purdue, NC State, Wake Forest and BC just like it has always been. It will not be like an OSU, MI or MSU hire.
Jay Paterno would be a good fit.

Reaction Score
Better options for Rhule? He's a NYC/Jersey/PA guy. Rutgers is a step up from Temple. They are close to rock bottom. I think this is a great opportunity for him - much better than heading to Mizzou - you know that the Rutgers brass will be patient.

Rhule probably has a shot at the Maryland job, though. And if he just keeps winning at Temple, it won't be long before Penn State comes calling.

Reaction Score
Nah, Willis came from money. RU...they were always on the outside looking in. By the way, many's the day that I've wanted to "take a flame thrower" to the P5 and the whole CR process.

I'm a little wary of what's going on in New Brunswick. As entertaining as it is to watch the garbage fire that Rutgers so consistently is, with decent leadership they could become a force in the region.

Well, there is some good news coming out of Rutgers. Their women's soccer team (who knocked-off UConn 4-0 earlier in the NCAA playoffs) is in the NCAA Final Four up against Penn St. Congrats to them.

That said, I did chuckle when it was noted that the soccer team is going for the University's second NCAA title in any sport in school history. Their only title to date is a Fencing title from 1949.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/soccer/amid-rutgers-gloom-a-reason-to-cheer-1.1465643

Reaction Score
Well, there is some good news coming out of Rutgers. Their women's soccer team (who knocked-off UConn 4-0 earlier in the NCAA playoffs) is in the NCAA Final Four up against Penn St. Congrats to them.

That said, I did chuckle when it was noted that the soccer team is going for the University's second NCAA title in any sport in school history. Their only title to date is a Fencing title from 1949.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/soccer/amid-rutgers-gloom-a-reason-to-cheer-1.1465643
Using my best Nicky Newark voice -
Coney, you just don't get how big fencing is in IA, MI and IL. Few people know this, but I was told by a major B1G insider that the fencing championship tipped the scale to RU last time. It's an untapped market for viewers on the B1G network. Lot's of interest in fencing in the NY metro area. Way more than hockey or WBB. Than God it wasn't squash because then they would have taken Trinity. But keep on thinking hockey moves the needle, lol.

pj

Reaction Score
Coney, you just don't get how big fencing is in IA, MI and IL. Few people know this, but I was told by a major B1G insider that the fencing championship tipped the scale to RU last time. It's an untapped market for viewers on the B1G network. Lot's of interest in fencing in the NY metro area. Way more than hockey or WBB. Than God it wasn't squash because then they would have taken Trinity. But keep on thinking hockey moves the needle, lol.

Indeed. I recall Jim Delany saying, "Good fencers make good neighbors."

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

You could make fun of them but that was a hell of a fencing team. Inigo Montoya, Marty Glammering aka "the Rutgers Riposte" and Lancelot "the real Scarlet Knight" Lake were all fabulous fencers in their own right.

Reaction Score
You could make fun of them but that was a hell of a fencing team. Inigo Montoya, Marty Glammering aka "the Rutgers Riposte" and Lancelot "the real Scarlet Knight" Lake were all fabulous fencers in their own right.
I still remember that comeback for Montoya!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Indeed. I recall Jim Delany saying, "Good fencers make good neighbors."
Post of the day.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Are you saying wrestling is a game changer? How does wrestling pay for itself? There is no TV or radio income for wrestling. How many scholarships, coaches and how much is travel cost? I would love to see the pays for itself analysis. Creative accounting at its best. That is akin to saying that softball or field hockey pays for itself. I find it unlikely that wrestling a full scholarship program at any university (all of the athletes are on a full ride) because you would need the same number of women's scholarships.

Hockey is not a major game changer (when Bimidji State is a powerhouse, you can draw that conclusion) but it at least generates more revenue than wrestling could ever dream of. All D1 conferences have some form of a local/regional TV package and sell out tournaments in 12000+ seat arenas. Add in that is played at the highest level nationwide (except HI) by multiple universities.
I meant it pays for itself just by sheer ticket paying numbers at events....self supporting....they really jam them in at these wrestling schools and RU is becoming one.....Goodale just signed 6 top 113 wrestlers for next yr....5 of the top 74....1 who was ranked 7th in his weight class is around 113th is the lowest rated. I've been following the coaching searches this week so haven't had much time to respond to the snarky attempts to belittle...I'm too old to GAS about pettiness....for more info go to the wrestling board of any B1G wrestling school..that's what I do then you can tell me....I haven't followed wrestling since HS but I've started to like it again but not anywhere near FB.

Reaction Score
I don't like when people hint, either come out and say it or shut up. Sorry Nicky, there are times when you make me feel very uncomfortable.
Don't apologize....I told you where to look on the RU board about the only 2 rumored interviews they had at the point......1 was supposedly you're own HC......i know you're not stupid and when you read it it was in reply to a snarky comment....I wouldn't have passed it on except in reply to Mr Annoyed. You saw the context...let it go...don't be Mr Uncomfortable unless its necessary because i've never found you to be snarky.

Reaction Score

Finally an acknowledgement.......check out the Wrestling team. Small steps.

Reaction Score
06...LOL....You have a wild imagination but i like it......Broadways in you're future. Pretty funny though..

Reaction Score
Rhule probably has a shot at the Maryland job, though. And if he just keeps winning at Temple, it won't be long before Penn State comes calling.
Did you hear they sold only 50 of their 3000G allotment of championship game tickets..give them time though and it will grow. I see them in 10 yrs in the ACC. Lots of RU fans are really happy for them including myself.

Reaction Score
I meant it pays for itself just by sheer ticket paying numbers at events....self supporting....they really jam them in at these wrestling schools and RU is becoming one.....Goodale just signed 6 top 113 wrestlers for next yr....5 of the top 74....1 who was ranked 7th in his weight class is around 113th is the lowest rated. I've been following the coaching searches this week so haven't had much time to respond to the snarky attempts to belittle...I'm too old to GAS about pettiness....for more info go to the wrestling board of any B1G wrestling school..that's what I do then you can tell me....I haven't followed wrestling since HS but I've started to like it again but not anywhere near FB.
Okay, do the math with me, 26 athletes on the team at an average in state cost of $14,000 per (tuition, fees, room and board), 4 coaches at an average of $50,000, 12 travel events on this year's schedule including Corvallis, OR and several overnight events in IL and NY plus some busing events like Cornell (that ride would suck) but let's say between travel costs, hotels and food you are looking at $500 per athlete-coach per trip. I won't allocate training staff, facility costs or AD overhead, so you come up with a total of $744,000. My guess is that they have a total operating budget of close to $1mm when you add in all of the overhead allocations but will stick with $744k.

An average adult ticket cost is $20 for the general public ($16-$24 on line). Assuming students in the mix at $5 per ticket and season ticket holders at an average of $9 per ticket (combined let's take a guess at a 25% average event base split evenly for those two groups although my guess is that it would be more like 40% of your average crowd), your effective price per ticket is $16.75. That equals 44,417 tickets to break even on $744k. Do you have attendance figures for this year? Do you think they averaged over 3,700 per home event? I did see article that said 2,600 against MN with 5,500 expected for PSU. Assuming that MN is typical and adding in for PSU, you are still 25%+ short on ticket sales on low operating cost assumption and a high revenue assumption. Even if you assume 100% ticket sales at the average adult ticket price, you are 15%+ short.

Wrestling is not and never will be a self sustaining sport even at the highest levels. Not even at IOwa and NE. If you can't break even on WBB, field hockey or soccer (both sexes), how in the heck do you break even on wrestling? No media money, high costs. This does not imply that it is not a good sport. It just implies that your statement is pretty much not based in reality.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'll quibble with your numbers a bit... I doubt most wrestlers on the team get full rides... probably partial schollies.. and most coaches don't get anywhere near $50k... maybe in terms of total compensation but even then I doubt it. They might even be adjuncts so the full cost doesn't go directly to the AD.. EVEN THEN though... I doubt they break even.

I went to one of the best wrestling schools on the east coast... and the wrestling team almost definitely made more money than the basketball team when I was there... but to think that they were self sustaining is laughable.

Reaction Score
I'll quibble with your numbers a bit... I doubt most wrestlers on the team get full rides... probably partial schollies.. and most coaches don't get anywhere near $50k... maybe in terms of total compensation but even then I doubt it. They might even be adjuncts so the full cost doesn't go directly to the AD.. EVEN THEN though... I doubt they break even.

I went to one of the best wrestling schools on the east coast... and the wrestling team almost definitely made more money than the basketball team when I was there... but to think that they were self sustaining is laughable.

D-I wrestling programs have the equivalent on 9.9 full scholarships to divide up amongst the entire team. I would guess that few wrestlers get full scholarships.

My son wrestles D-I for Franklin & Marshall, they wrestled up at Rutgers last month in front of a pretty good crowd. F&M put out a press release the week of the match and I seem to recall reading that Rutgers wrestling is one of the top draws in college. That said, I'd be surprised if the program paid for itself; it just might not operate as far in the red as other programs.

Reaction Score
06029 said:
Are you saying wrestling is a game changer? How does wrestling pay for itself? There is no TV or radio income for wrestling. How many scholarships, coaches and how much is travel cost? I would love to see the pays for itself analysis. Creative accounting at its best. That is akin to saying that softball or field hockey pays for itself. I find it unlikely that wrestling a full scholarship program at any university (all of the athletes are on a full ride) because you would need the same number of women's scholarships. Hockey is not a major game changer (when Bimidji State is a powerhouse, you can draw that conclusion) but it at least generates more revenue than wrestling could ever dream of. All D1 conferences have some form of a local/regional TV package and sell out tournaments in 12000+ seat arenas. Add in that is played at the highest level nationwide (except HI) by multiple universities.

Hey. I was born in Bemidji. My dad worked there. Don't talk smack lol.

Reaction Score

And the dream is over, Rutgers falls to Penn St in the first semifinal by a score of 2-0.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I wonder if the '49 fencing team makes like the '72 Dolphins and breaks out the champagne.
I guess you don't know: They only have half a title, Army has the other half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom