The house-cleaning at Rutgers has begun | The Boneyard

The house-cleaning at Rutgers has begun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sounds like she didn't want to terminate Flood? Obviously there's more too it, but to say "it wouldn't be fair to Julie" ?????? Weird.

http://www.onthebanks.com/2015/11/2...pected-to-be-named-permanent-rutgers-athletic
Julie came to Rutgers in 2013, at a time when the program was in turmoil, with a vision at where she could take our Athletics Program.I believe, however, at this point, when major changes are being made in our football program, we need a fresh start.Having reached that conclusion this past week, it would not have been fair to Julie, to Rutgers and our student athletes, or to potential football coaching candidates, for her to continue in her role.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see who they hire for fball coach. I can't recall a year with so many good jobs open. Georgia now up for grabs. Good luck with that hire.

Reaction Score
Stated such elsewhere; but, Rutgers athletic department is a train-wreck and there is talk that the NCAA will become involved. Hermann had to go as many of the problems, especially on the PR side, started with her. Plus, I am not sure any coach in his right mind would want her as a boss. Dobbs to me looks like a caretaker for Rutgers over the next 2 years. Fix the problems and keep further bad press from impacting President Barchi, who has 0% experience and interest in D1 athletics, and the Governor. Christie's term ends in 2 more years (assuming that by some miracle he does not win the White House) and by then the Rutgers/UMDNJ merger should also be complete. I see a Barchi leaving at that point and a new President under a new Governor will come in and bring along a new AD.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
So this is Rutgers Athletics today, basically...

Reaction Score
Sadly, Rutgers might have finally gotten it right. Rutgers and UConn can leap over Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, etc, in the Big Ten.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting article here: http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...ailed-and-what-rutgers-must-do-next/76526606/

TL;DR Christie put his foot down and demanded a change.

Christie will do whatever t takes to save his Presidential Image. Football is a big thing down south where a lot of conservative voters reside and if one cannot run a good college football program at State U, then how can one run a country? Hobbs who has no D1 football experience is a 'people' person who is very well connected to Jersey politics and has a reputation fr cleaning-up messes - Seton Hall, Prudential Center, Bridgetgate, etc. He's a fixer.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/rutgers-new-athletics-boss-ready-to-rebuild-1.1465013?page=all

Local article stating that Dobbs and Brown acknowledge that they need to spend major money to boost Rutgers programs on the field; but, no inclination as to where that money is going to come from. It won't come from Trenton with the transportation fund beyond bankrupt while Rutgers itself has a lot o money tied-up with its acquisition of UMDNJ.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/to-fix-sports-rutgers-will-splurge-1.1465011

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Christie will do whatever t takes to save his Presidential Image. Football is a big thing down south where a lot of conservative voters reside and if one cannot run a good college football program at State U, then how can one run a country? Hobbs who has no D1 football experience is a 'people' person who is very well connected to Jersey politics and has a reputation fr cleaning-up messes - Seton Hall, Prudential Center, Bridgetgate, etc. He's a fixer.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/rutgers-new-athletics-boss-ready-to-rebuild-1.1465013?page=all

Local article stating that Dobbs and Brown acknowledge that they need to spend major money to boost Rutgers programs on the field; but, no inclination as to where that money is going to come from. It won't come from Trenton with the transportation fund beyond bankrupt while Rutgers itself has a lot o money tied-up with its acquisition of UMDNJ.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/to-fix-sports-rutgers-will-splurge-1.1465011

Clearly pressured by Gov. Christie to replace Hermann with someone known to have good character, Barchi hired Christie ally Pat Hobbs without a search or even a day’s delay. The stunning move — a Seton Hall guy! A basketball guy! — may go over like a lead balloon among Rutgers’ legion of football-centric boosters. However, there’s potential in the unconventional move.

For starters, Hobbs is a nice guy and a people person. He’s affable, even-tempered and intelligent. He’s been in the public eye for many years, so there should be no skeletons in the closet. Second, Hobbs is a Jersey guy. He understands the politics and the zeitgeist. He’ll know the best path, for example, to getting a much-needed basketball practice facility. He’s led high-profile coaching searches and dealt fairly with the local media. Third, he understands fundraising and administration. You don’t last 16 years as a law school dean otherwise.

For now, credit Barchi for moving decisively and hiring an anti-Hermann — local, savvy, likable. His Hamlet act finally ended, and now Rutgers can turn the page.
That doesn't sound so damning to me. It sounds like they lined up their ducks before they acted. Prudent when you couldn't afford the typical RU crapfest. I think your argument that Christie is solely motivated by his Presidential campaign is a reach. That's kind of a damned if you do or damned if you don't argument. If Christie is hands off then he's ignoring his duties, but if he acts, he must be acting to advance his presidential ambitions. There's no scenario where he's just doing his job.

For what it is worth, the "Clearly pressured by Gov. Christie" appears to be speculation since it is unsourced.

Reaction Score
Its has been a mess in the AD but Wrestling is now ranked 10th nationally only losing 1 match by 1 pt to 7th ranked Oklahoma 19-18 and womans soccer is in the final 4 championship rd after an amazing season....now lets see permanent AD Dobbs signature hire will be in FB...9 bowls in 10 seasons ain't terrible by any standards but more is required at NJSU...small steps. I'm really relieved as much as i liked the guy ''KF'' they cleaned house but I can't wait for Barchi to go too....he waited too long to act....too many political fiefdoms in NJ..for way to long.

Reaction Score
That doesn't sound so damning to me. It sounds like they lined up their ducks before they acted. Prudent when you couldn't afford the typical RU crapfest. I think your argument that Christie is solely motivated by his Presidential campaign is a reach. That's kind of a damned if you do or damned if you don't argument. If Christie is hands off then he's ignoring his duties, but if he acts, he must be acting to advance his presidential ambitions. There's no scenario where he's just doing his job.

For what it is worth, the "Clearly pressured by Gov. Christie" appears to be speculation since it is unsourced.

Going to have to somewhat disagree with you.

The overall feeling is that Flood had to go and that Hermann should have never been hired as she made enemies across the state. While football is very important to Rutgers, academics are more important, especially for a faculty union that thinks its still part of Princeton. Such escapades as the +6 arrests and the academic scandal surrounding Barnwell, etc. are not tolerated at Rutgers, unlike some other programs. There is also very strong concern that this was just the tip of the iceberg. Any further scandal would likely cost Barchi his job also and that would leave a black mark on Christie's resume. Thus, instead of conducting a national search for a new AD with P5 experience, Christie went to a political ally known for fixing messes who has no P5 nor football experience. It has damage control all over it and everything Christie does and says right now is through the lens of his White House campaign. If my (and my neighbors theory) is correct, then Rutgers will hire a 'safe' football coach, such as Edsall, whose #1 goal will be to clean-house and run a clean program going forward. The next Rutgers President will bring-on a new AD and Coach aimed at improving Rutgers record on the field.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Going to have to somewhat disagree with you.

The overall feeling is that Flood had to go and that Hermann should have never been hired as she made enemies across the state. While football is very important to Rutgers, academics are more important, especially for a faculty union that thinks its still part of Princeton. Such escapades as the +6 arrests and the academic scandal surrounding Barnwell, etc. are not tolerated at Rutgers, unlike some other programs. There is also very strong concern that this was just the tip of the iceberg. Any further scandal would likely cost Barchi his job also and that would leave a black mark on Christie's resume. Thus, instead of conducting a national search for a new AD with P5 experience, Christie went to a political ally known for fixing messes who has no P5 nor football experience. It has damage control all over it and everything Christie does and says right now is through the lens of his White House campaign. If my (and my neighbors theory) is correct, then Rutgers will hire a 'safe' football coach, such as Edsall, whose #1 goal will be to clean-house and run a clean program going forward. The next Rutgers President will bring-on a new AD and Coach aimed at improving Rutgers record on the field.
Yeah, no worries, we can agree to disagree. I think you are reaching to find Christie's fingerprints on this and even more so to ascribe a sole presidential primary politics as the motivation for this yet unproven allegation.

"If my (and my neighbors theory) is correct, then Rutgers will hire a 'safe' football coach, such as Edsall, whose #1 goal will be to clean-house and run a clean program going forward. The next Rutgers President will bring-on a new AD and Coach aimed at improving Rutgers record on the field."

Assuming that's true, how is it a problem? Isn't that exactly what they should be doing? FWIW, I think Edsall would be a pretty good hire for Rutgers, so much so I hope that they don't do it.

Reaction Score
Yeah, no worries, we can agree to disagree. I think you are reaching to find Christie's fingerprints on this and even more so to ascribe a sole presidential primary politics as the motivation for this yet unproven allegation.

"If my (and my neighbors theory) is correct, then Rutgers will hire a 'safe' football coach, such as Edsall, whose #1 goal will be to clean-house and run a clean program going forward. The next Rutgers President will bring-on a new AD and Coach aimed at improving Rutgers record on the field."

Assuming that's true, how is it a problem? Isn't that exactly what they should be doing? FWIW, I think Edsall would be a pretty good hire for Rutgers, so much so I hope that they don't do it.

Thanks and I have no issue with different opinions.

On a 'Edsall' like hire, I actually agree. Rutgers is a mess, especially with respect to football and basketball. A low cost, low pressure hire, i.e. if you can clean house and maintain a respectable .500 record in the B1G, then Rutgers would be happy for the next few years. That will allow them to get any compliance issues square aware and hopefully find funding to upgrade coaches and facilities (football practice facility, basketball arena & practice facility, etc.) down the road so that their house will be in order once the new President and likely AD are on board. That is the, at least to me, clear part of the Christie issue - he hired Barchi to run the Rutgers/UMDNJ merger, which should be mostly done by 2018 when Christie's term expires. At that point, Barchi will be 71 and likely looking to retire with this feather in his cap. That will allow the new Governor to pick a new President who will then pick a new AD to determine where Rutgers goes from there.

PS - several papers in Jersey have indicated that the following 5 are Rutgers' top choices - Greg Schiano, Al Golden, Mario Cristobal, Matt Rhule, P.J. Fleck. Personally, I think Schanio is foolish, can't go back. Golden I can see and would be a good fit. Christobal and Rhule will have better options. Fleck needs a year or two more of seasoning at age 35 in the MAC. We will see.

On a side note. I am surprised that TJ Wiest's name has not popped-up for a second tier coaching job somewhere. I give him a lot of credit for stopping the bleeding at UConn at the end of the Pasqualoni nightmare.

http://www.trentonian.com/sports/20...g-candidates-to-replace-kyle-flood-at-rutgers

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

On a 'Edsall' like hire, I actually agree. Rutgers is a mess, especially with respect to football and basketball. A low cost, low pressure hire, i.e. if you can clean house and maintain a respectable .500 record in the B1G, then Rutgers would be happy for the next few years. That will allow them to get any compliance issues square aware and hopefully find funding to upgrade coaches and facilities (football practice facility, basketball arena & practice facility, etc.) down the road so that their house will be in order once the new President and likely AD are on board. That is the, at least to me, clear part of the Christie issue - he hired Barchi to run the Rutgers/UMDNJ merger, which should be mostly done by 2018 when Christie's term expires. At that point, Barchi will be 71 and likely looking to retire with this feather in his cap. That will allow the new Governor to pick a new President who will then pick a new AD to determine where Rutgers goes from there.

PS - several papers in Jersey have indicated that the following 5 are Rutgers' top choices - Greg Schiano, Al Golden, Mario Cristobal, Matt Rhule, P.J. Fleck. Personally, I think Schanio is foolish, can't go back. Golden I can see and would be a good fit. Christobal and Rhule will have better options. Fleck needs a year or two more of seasoning at age 35 in the MAC. We will see.

On a side note. I am surprised that TJ Wiest's name has not popped-up for a second tier coaching job somewhere. I give him a lot of credit for stopping the bleeding at UConn at the end of the Pasqualoni nightmare.

http://www.trentonian.com/sports/20...g-candidates-to-replace-kyle-flood-at-rutgers
Better options for Rhule? He's a NYC/Jersey/PA guy. Rutgers is a step up from Temple. They are close to rock bottom. I think this is a great opportunity for him - much better than heading to Mizzou - you know that the Rutgers brass will be patient.

Reaction Score
I have a couple contacts that are big RU boosters. Herman and Barchi alienated these pretty reasonable boosters. Everyone liked Flood, even if they didn't think he was the answer as coach, but this year's behavior issues was the final straw. These boosters kept their tix, but didn't go to any games. These were guys that had no issue going to every game during the Terry Shea era.

These guys seem content with Hobbs, at least to get things back on track. He may not have big school AD experience, but whatever he touches gets better. Someone above called him a fixer. He's that, but he also fixes morale. I asked them about the coaching position. They said they know nothing other than what's on the internet. The process is being kept very quiet and they're fine with that.

Reaction Score
....their looking for a FB HC....not a cure for cancer.Relax and enjoy the ride its not life or death...just college athletics. Think how Cuse feels losing Scott Frost to UCF...take a drink and relax.

Reaction Score

Better options than a B1G school....like FIU....or back where he was a position coach....Same with Golden who's a ''good'' choice but not his assistant who was just a position coach at TU for him who's only making 600G at a G5 school to a school willing to open the vault for the RIGHT HC...take a breath. RE holds NO interest at the upper levels for anyone now as HC maybe as a position coach for 100g but he's seen better days before Locksley kept him hanging on at a school he wasnt ready for,...thank god you got rid of him and HCBD didn't come.....he's a well know middling coach with a worse personality than Doug Marrone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Relax C
Stated such elsewhere; but, Rutgers athletic department is a train-wreck and there is talk that the NCAA will become involved. Hermann had to go as many of the problems, especially on the PR side, started with her. Plus, I am not sure any coach in his right mind would want her as a boss. Dobbs to me looks like a caretaker for Rutgers over the next 2 years. Fix the problems and keep further bad press from impacting President Barchi, who has 0% experience and interest in D1 athletics, and the Governor. Christie's term ends in 2 more years (assuming that by some miracle he does not win the White House) and by then the Rutgers/UMDNJ merger should also be complete. I see a Barchi leaving at that point and a new President under a new Governor will come in and bring along a new AD.
Relax Coney.....or run for office..

Reaction Score
Relax C

Is there any major university athletic program in worse condition than RU right now? Seriously, the former AD was a mess day 1, the former FB coach tried to influence grades and was not fired immediately (I think you can only have that happen in the SEC or ACC BB, both fountains of integrity), the BB teams continue to be mediocre, the department bleeds red ink in a state that can't fund it, etc. The pinnacle of success for RU FB was one Thursday night game when they lit up the Empire State Building in Scarlet (although you can pay to have it lit up any way you want). That and the Schiano copter.

Yes, RU is the homeless guy that found the winning lottery ticket on the street of CR. But really, telling people to relax when commenting on a train wreck is pretty annoying.

But you have wrestling. That is almost like BC saying it has great success in sailing.

Reaction Score
RU is not so much the homeless guy as it is like George Willis, RIP, getting into the Baird School.

Reaction Score
Relax C

Hard to relax when my tax dollars go to pay the incompetent fools in new Brunswick (yes, UConn has had leaders on a similar level, too, no long ago) and for a Governor who has spent more time in New Hampshire than in Trenton in 2015.

Reaction Score
Is there any major university athletic program in worse condition than RU right now? Seriously, the former AD was a mess day 1, the former FB coach tried to influence grades and was not fired immediately (I think you can only have that happen in the SEC or ACC BB, both fountains of integrity), the BB teams continue to be mediocre, the department bleeds red ink in a state that can't fund it, etc. The pinnacle of success for RU FB was one Thursday night game when they lit up the Empire State Building in Scarlet (although you can pay to have it lit up any way you want). That and the Schiano copter.

Yes, RU is the homeless guy that found the winning lottery ticket on the street of CR. But really, telling people to relax when commenting on a train wreck is pretty annoying.

But you have wrestling. That is almost like BC saying it has great success in sailing.
If that annoys you you don't want to know who's interviewed recently at RU for the FB HC opening beyond MC according to their board..only 2 by Sunday ...hope it don't happen.

Reaction Score

Wrestling ....sailing....WBB...WRESTLING is a HOT sport in B1G country but of course...lets talk sailing....not even really a sport. Wrestling at least pays for itself and NJ/Pa/OHIO are hotbeds. Can't believe how a state so close can be so out of touch as to be annoyed yet thinks Hockey is a gamechanger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom