The Athletic: College Football Premier League: 28 teams survive in standalone football product. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Athletic: College Football Premier League: 28 teams survive in standalone football product.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It’s local, but with the intense alumni dedication many of the Big10 schools have, That’s a huge factor. Then through in alumni family like me (grandfather earned his MD at Michigan after he came home from WWII). I have great memories watching Michigan football with my grandparents, mom and dad. It’s the reason I’m a Michigan fan today.

Michigan alumni base is huge and all over the world. Only 27% of the UM student body is from the state of Michigan. MSU probably has as many fans as UM.

Will 100,000 Michigan fans watch a sport that only Michigan plays? Seems unlikely.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
The best opinion I’ve heard is from Chip Kelly.

Notre Dame is an independent. Everyone else worth a darn should be too.

Forget conference championships. It’ll be a 12-16 team playoff soon enough anyway.

Reaction Score
The money people are so stupid they're going to literally kill the sport. Theyll all get big paychecks, pat each other on the back, and ride off into the sunset never seeing the consequences of their actions
If the money people walk away with the money, how are they being stupid because their actions have consequences for others?

Reaction Score
Big crowds and TV audiences may continue if the team wins, but if they fall off (1/2 have to lose and the big brands aren't used to that) how many will be in the stands? If, for example, UCLA falls to 2-10 and is playing in front of < 25K in the Rose Bowl (last time I looked they were already down to 40K or so per game), do they get the number 1 draft pick?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the money people walk away with the money, how are they being stupid because their actions have consequences for others?

When they and you are wrong, which a big chunk of insiders seem to think already. You are confusing ESPN’s desire to load up on content before it is spun off or sold with good business strategy. ESPN continues to make linear decisions in a streaming world. ESPN and Fox are trying to continue their strategy of having enough programs under contract that they can find that handful of good games every week to fill their linear time slots. That is a bad strategy for streaming, where you will want as many games that fans care about as possible. Cincinnati/ASU and Iowa/Washington won’t make the cut.

Also, that Knight Commission statement will be an exhibit in the inevitable Title IX lawsuit that is coming against the current conference affiliations for women’s sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom