The Athletic: College Football Premier League: 28 teams survive in standalone football product. | The Boneyard

The Athletic: College Football Premier League: 28 teams survive in standalone football product.

Reaction Score

Shortcut <<

1692113184167.png

Reaction Score
Why does North Carolina get stuck in the absolute worst division fit-wise.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Frankly I think this would perform poorly- maybe not fail, but way below expectations. Would become in effect a minor league to the NFL, while losing much of the compelling charm of the college game. Nobody watches minor league football. 28 teams? Fewer than the NFL? NFW. 40? Maybe. 60? Probably would work, 80 would be better.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
The money people are so stupid they're going to literally kill the sport. Theyll all get big paychecks, pat each other on the back, and ride off into the sunset never seeing the consequences of their actions
I think it'll blow up in their faces. There's enough interest outside 28/32 teams to guarantee that

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
The money people are so stupid they're going to literally kill the sport. Theyll all get big paychecks, pat each other on the back, and ride off into the sunset never seeing the consequences of their actions.
Mercantilism at the college athletics level. Grotesque.

Reaction Score
The money people are so stupid they're going to literally kill the sport. Theyll all get big paychecks, pat each other on the back, and ride off into the sunset never seeing the consequences of their actions
Greedy is the word you're looking for, they don't care if the sport dies in the future as long as their bank accounts get much bigger in the present.

Reaction Score
Why is North Carolina premier?

Powder blue moves lots of merchandise, and the state is rich for recruiting (competent recruiters usually get top 15-20 talent just off the name alone, not that they ever do much with the talent lol). Some mixture of that I'd suppose, plus gives actual football powers someone to get wins against.

Reaction Score
No Arizonas, Kansases, MIssissippis, Virginias, Indianas (ND sucks), Illinoises, Kentuckies, Colorados, Connecticuts, or Northeast really

what a cluster.

Reaction Score
I think it'll blow up in their faces. There's enough interest outside 28/32 teams to guarantee that
These are schools that have 3-4-500,000 living alumni and graduate nearly another UConn's worth of new alumni every year. These are fan bases that don't make plans on Saturdays in the fall. That's where the money is. If they lose the small schools and casual viewer than so be it as they aren't worth much anyway. I can tell you if they do something like that or put it all behind a paywall, I ain't paying as a casual viewer of those teams. College football will just become another NASCAR with a rabid but relatively narrow fan base.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Frankly I think this would perform poorly- maybe not fail, but way below expectations. Would become in effect a minor league to the NFL, while losing much of the compelling charm of the college game. Nobody watches minor league football. 28 teams? Fewer than the NFL? NFW. 40? Maybe. 60? Probably would work, 80 would be better.

I agree for the most part that this needs to be bigger or no one will care. I think a 28 school football league would fail miserably, and be out of business within a few years. Even die hard fans of the schools in it would lose interest after a season or two.

Reaction Score
I agree for the most part that this needs to be bigger or no one will care. I think a 28 school football league would fail miserably, and be out of business within a few years. Even die hard fans of the schools in it would lose interest after a season or two.

For one, you simply can't ask football blue blood fans to appreciate the high likelihood their season ends below .500.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
These are schools that have 3-4-500,000 living alumni and graduate nearly another UConn's worth of new alumni every year. These are fan bases that don't make plans on Saturdays in the fall. That's where the money is. If they lose the small schools and casual viewer than so be it as they aren't worth much anyway. I can tell you if they do something like that or put it all behind a paywall, I ain't paying as a casual viewer of those teams. College football will just become another NASCAR with a rabid but relatively narrow fan base.
I agree, but it's not like we're talking about URI or UMass being left out here. Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Texas Tech have fans who live and die with this stuff too

Reaction Score
I agree, but it's not like we're talking about URI or UMass being left out here. Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Texas Tech have fans who live and die with this stuff too
Kind of like UConn basketball fans except none of those teams win and yet half this board thinks UConn basketball will be left out.

Reaction Score
mandel is actively rooting for this ish to happen

Reaction Score
It's interesting to see Nebraska's AD quoted extensively as one of the haves. They have been dead from the ass up for more than a decade..
However, I am not surprised with the concept being pushed forward. Frankly, the SEC and the BIG are defacto heading there now.

Reaction Score
There are 2 types of fans. The traditional guy that routes for his school and underdogs, and the entitlement fans that enjoy ritualistic slaughter of the little guys plus some key rivalry games. The entire dynamic changes immensely and will shrink quickly to a fall USFL viewership.

Reaction Score
Yep! Way too much ‘equity’ is going to be erased for schools to support this.

Reaction Score
It's interesting to see Nebraska's AD quoted extensively as one of the haves. They have been dead from the ass up for more than a decade..
However, I am not surprised with the concept being pushed forward. Frankly, the SEC and the BIG are defacto heading there now.

They have the tradition and they have the tv ratings. Even over the past decade of poor play, their games are watched by a lot of people.

Reaction Score
For one, you simply can't ask football blue blood fans to appreciate the high likelihood their season ends below .500.
Totally agree, but that means Blue Bloods agreeing to keep the bottom-feeders which means accepting less than market-value payouts....a classic Sophie's choice (which couldn't happen to a more deserving group imo). In all seriousness, I don't see how the rest of college athletics coexists/survives long-term with football going the current direction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom