Thanks Seth Greenberg | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thanks Seth Greenberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Hard to go by the stats since Cal used the platoon system. Still, Ulis posted a 3.6-1.0 assist to turnover ratio - that's pretty damn impressive for a freshman.
Exactly. 40% shooter, 42% 3 pt shooter 3.6 ATO as a freshman.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I think the "not in the same class" comment is what has irked us. And I don't think it will be a popular opinion that our and UK's back courts are not in the same class. Our back court has got much more love thus far than not

Seth Greenberg is a moron who has to work for ESPN because even VT kicked him out. As someone noted, 3 NCAA appearances in his entire career. Dude is a small step above a Jeff Goodman.
I actually usually like Greenberg. This seems out of character for him. He's still a bakers dozen of stupidity shy of Goodman.

Reaction Score
Yep. I've seen more of Ulis than Gibbs(very little on the latter), but I instantly loved Ulis' floor game. Makes good decisions with the basketball. My kind of point guard. Couldn't believe he didn't get run over the Harrison twins. It's not a knock on Gibbs, I was just trying to clarify @businesslawyer 's post because his LOL statement made it confusing as to what he was laughing at the previous statements or his own. Agreed on Purvis and Adams and the fact that our backcourt is in the conversation.

I'm laughing at the anger at Greenburgh's statement, because having seen plenty of all three I would rather have Ulis than either Gibbs or Purvis and it's not really close. That's not a knock on either Gibbs or Purvis -- I just love Ulis's floor game and see him being a legit AA point guard by the time he's done. I view both Gibbs and Purvis more as all league types (although Purvis has a higher cieling if he can be more consistent and speed up his jump shot release).

I don't waste time talking about how good freshman might be until the games start, but at the very least the Coach's statement is reasonable. Disagreeing with it is fine. Being offened by it is dumb.

Reaction Score
Hard to go by the stats since Cal used the platoon system. Still, Ulis posted a 3.6-1.0 assist to turnover ratio - that's pretty damn impressive for a freshman.

Ulis also hasn't performed those stats for 38 mins a game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I actually usually like Greenberg. This seems out of character for him. He's still a bakers dozen of stupidity shy of Goodman.

I think he's pretty good. The level of outrage here is not commensurate with the comment. Calling it "Dan Dakich level haterade" is just crazy talk. There is only one Dakich, the worst.

Reaction Score
Would rather have gibbs due to his ability to score in bunches. Ulis is very smart with the ball, but i think you guys aren't realizing his scoring potential is pretty limited. not crazy bouncy and pretty small, he can't create looks for himself the way , say a freshman napier could. Not sure how he becomes an all american. This is gibbs vs ulis, purvis isn't part of this because he plays a different position. its Purvis vs Murray, and briscoe vs adams. When you look at like that, it is a bit strange to consider one in a separate class than the other... right? I take murray over purvis, but then i also take adams over briscoe...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn has what it has and The Squid has what he has
In the end - UConn seems to always come out big when it counts - can't say the same thing about the Squid.
I will say, without bias, I will take what UConn has with RP, SG and JA - with a sprinkle of Cassell vs his bunch NOW

Reaction Score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but not in the same class?:confused: Gibbs is proven,Adams is a big time recruit with a ton of talent but needs to prove it on the court,same goes for UKs frosh. Purvis is the wildcard. If he can figure out where the end lines are,hit shots consistantly and attack the basket off the dribble he could be an absolute monster! The talent is there he just needs to put it together.

Let me add a question. Werent the harrison twins too big and talented for Uconns small backcourt `14? Oops! Not so much.:cool:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
His original tweet shouldn't offend anyone with an open mind. But to make a separate tweet stating UConn is not in the same class, is offensive or dumb. Our backcourts are comparable regardless of which one ends up better.

Reaction Score
UConn has what it has and The Squid has what he has
In the end - UConn seems to always come out big when it counts - can't say the same thing about the Squid.
I will say, without bias, I will take what UConn has with RP, SG and JA - with a sprinkle of Cassell vs his bunch NOW
This is the real reason I'd always take UConn over UK

kevin-ollie.jpg

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Ulis also hasn't performed those stats for 38 mins a game.
Irrespective of this debate, I think this is something that gets overlooked. It's far easier to perform for 20-25 minutes a game than it is to perform for 35+.

Reaction Score
ESPN hype machine is built on Duke, Kentucky, NC, and Kansas. Those are the teams that butter Seth's bread. I really don't want these guys shouting from the rooftop how good we are at this point when we don't know ourselves.

Reaction Score
Yep. I've seen more of Ulis than Gibbs(very little on the latter), but I instantly loved Ulis' floor game. Makes good decisions with the basketball. My kind of point guard. Couldn't believe he didn't get run over the Harrison twins. It's not a knock on Gibbs, I was just trying to clarify @businesslawyer 's post because his LOL statement made it confusing as to what he was laughing at the previous statements or his own. Agreed on Purvis and Adams and the fact that our backcourt is in the conversation.

As somebody who has seen a lot of both, I'll give the slight edge to Gibbs. Granted, I've also been on the Ulis bandwagon for a while, and I would probably take him over Adams and Purvis, but in todays game, it is hard to over-estimate the value of a guy who shoots 44% from three on seven attempts per 40 minutes. That sort of volume and precision paralyzes the defense, and at Seton Hall, playing in the Big East, Gibbs was the offense. To shoot that well despite being the focal point of the scouting report is fairly remarkable, and there is a strong argument to be made that the Big East - particularly when eliminating Kentucky from the equation - was better than the SEC last year.

Conversely, Ulis was typically option five in an offense that united a pair of ferocious rim-runners with capable perimeter shooters. I suspect that his season percentage (42%?) might not be indicative of his shooting ability at this time. Last season, particularly in conference play, he was very reluctant, and as defenses guarded him differently, his percentages plummeted (36% from the field in conference play, 35% from three).

Floor vision is another thing, and although you would have to give the edge to Ulis, who demonstrated remarkable poise as a freshman, his assist rate was only marginally better than that of Gibbs', who was playing with the handicap of an inefficient Seton Hall offense.

Gibbs has rated poorly defensively, and Ulis, for the most part, has held up well on that end, despite his size. But there were instances where Cal was forced to pull Ulis from the game because of the size he was giving up to an opposing guard, and in being flanked by potentially the best defensive front court in the nation, Gibbs will likely be asked to play to scheme rather than ability.

I imagine both fan bases will choose their guy. Gibbs is a transformative shooter, while Ulis is a bit more well-rounded. Accounting for the context of our roster, I think we're better off with Gibbs.

Reaction Score
As somebody who has seen a lot of both, I'll give the slight edge to Gibbs. Granted, I've also been on the Ulis bandwagon for a while, and I would probably take him over Adams and Purvis, but in todays game, it is hard to over-estimate the value of a guy who shoots 44% from three on seven attempts per 40 minutes. That sort of volume and precision paralyzes the defense, and at Seton Hall, playing in the Big East, Gibbs was the offense. To shoot that well despite being the focal point of the scouting report is fairly remarkable, and there is a strong argument to be made that the Big East - particularly when eliminating Kentucky from the equation - was better than the SEC last year.

Conversely, Ulis was typically option five in an offense that united a pair of ferocious rim-runners with capable perimeter shooters. I suspect that his season percentage (42%?) might not be indicative of his shooting ability at this time. Last season, particularly in conference play, he was very reluctant, and as defenses guarded him differently, his percentages plummeted (36% from the field in conference play, 35% from three).

Floor vision is another thing, and although you would have to give the edge to Ulis, who demonstrated remarkable poise as a freshman, his assist rate was only marginally better than that of Gibbs', who was playing with the handicap of an inefficient Seton Hall offense.

Gibbs has rated poorly defensively, and Ulis, for the most part, has held up well on that end, despite his size. But there were instances where Cal was forced to pull Ulis from the game because of the size he was giving up to an opposing guard, and in being flanked by potentially the best defensive front court in the nation, Gibbs will likely be asked to play to scheme rather than ability.

I imagine both fan bases will choose their guy. Gibbs is a transformative shooter, while Ulis is a bit more well-rounded. Accounting for the context of our roster, I think we're better off with Gibbs.

Bussinesslawyer...we await your counter argument. The Gibbs case has been made.

Reaction Score
I'm laughing at the anger at Greenburgh's statement, because having seen plenty of all three I would rather have Ulis than either Gibbs or Purvis and it's not really close. That's not a knock on either Gibbs or Purvis -- I just love Ulis's floor game and see him being a legit AA point guard by the time he's done. I view both Gibbs and Purvis more as all league types (although Purvis has a higher cieling if he can be more consistent and speed up his jump shot release).

I don't waste time talking about how good freshman might be until the games start, but at the very least the Coach's statement is reasonable. Disagreeing with it is fine. Being offened by it is dumb.

Really? Not even close? Not even a little bit?

Reaction Score
Really? Not even close? Not even a little bit?

Again, I"m not knocking Gibbs or Purvis (and I understand the upset about Greenburgh's secondary tweet). But I saw Ulis's feel for the game and D, and he was in my mind clearly the best guard on an undefeated and Final Four team. Of course he didn't have Gibbs stats, but Gibbs wouldn't have had Gibbs stats on UK. And I'm not convinced that Gibbs would have pushed in front of the Harrison's for key minutes to the extent Ulis did.

The point that Ulis hasn't had to play 35 minutes a game or carry a team is fair. And as I said before, I'm not at all knocking Gibbs, who is a really good player. But if I am picking a PG to then build my roster around for this season, I'm taking Ulis and I'm not sweating the decision. I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with that. But Greenburgh's initial post -- while in hindsight it may prove wrong -- was neither offensive nor dumb.

Reaction Score
You my friend would make a fine lawyer or better yet a judge! Just saying you have a gift at making final arguements.

However this may not be a good practice as a husband. Just a warning in case you are not married.

Reaction Score
Sterling and Gibbs are comparable and JA and Briscoe are on the same tier. Is Murray really out of RP's league? That is what the argument comes down to.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The great thing about before-the-fact sports analysis is that it has no value at all except for the guy actually getting paid for it. To coin a phrase, the proof in sports is always in the pudding except for the bogus "judged" sports. Let the facts speak for themselves when all is said and done.
My son worked at VTech in the Greenberg "glory" years and the proof in that pudding was that I think he was the only coach in Blacksburg who didn't have his name attached to a restaurant

Reaction Score
Whats more likely? That the talking heads are consistently wrong of their assessment of our team (last year aside) or they're all secretly huge fans of Uconn and know the best way for us to win is piss us off.
I think you're on to something...maybe it's all just a huge conspiracy and every is behind UConn ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom