Thanks Seth Greenberg | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Thanks Seth Greenberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
His original tweet shouldn't offend anyone with an open mind. But to make a separate tweet stating UConn is not in the same class, is offensive or dumb. Our backcourts are comparable regardless of which one ends up better.

This.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
http://www.theuconnblog.com/2015/7/...all-its-personal-now-for-rodney-purvis-and-it

"Thursday morning, ESPN college basketball analyst Seth Greenberg claimed Kentucky's backcourt of Tyler Ulis, Isaiah Briscoe and Jamal Murray "could be" the best in the country. A fan responded, suggesting UConn's backcourt of Purvis, Sterling Gibbs and Jalen Adams could be as strong. The fan tagged the three players, and Greenberg responded with all three players still mentioned by saying they are "not in the same class." Purvis didn't like that, either..."

Reaction Score
Shouldn't we be amused vs upset? This is good stuff, as said earlier disrespect is often fuel for our players, particularly national disrepect. I'm glad Seth put this out there our guards have something to prove.

I'm going to enjoy watching them prove it AND when a microphone is thrust in their face humilate Seth on national TV. I see Coach with his slick and sophisticated way continuing to 'publically' bring this up all season. It will certainly be great to see Seth discredited.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Briscoe is overweight and slow, but still a dominating player for his position. Murray is the real deal, and Ulis' numbers are inflated because he was an afterthought on a stacked offensive team last year; he got all the open looks and easy passes.

I would not want a pissed off Purvis playing against me (aka 2nd half Purvis vs. SMU in March). Add the fact that Gibbs is experienced as they come. And Jalen Adams has already proved to outplay Briscoe over and over again during AAU and other competitions. Seth go F off. You couldn't coach and you don't know what you're talking about.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Trying to cover all his bases..

Reaction Score
duck*' Kentucky and duck* their little pimp Greenberg. I'll take our backcourt over UK's 7 days a week.

Reaction Score
I'm watching this Pan Am matchup between the US and Canada and Jamal Murray is very impressive in this 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
In the SEC.... I would take Wade Baldwin IV (Soph/14') over Ulis. WB IV just doesn't get the hype.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You'd think four national championships would be enough to not overreact to a reasonable opinion shared on twitter.... but nope.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Murray is straight up KILLING it right now. (Thanks for the tip, ace.) 22 points in the 4th quarter & OT. Canada is about to take down the US thanks to him.

Reaction Score
This is my 2nd time seeing Murray, the Hoop Summit game being the other. If we're going between Murray and Purvis as far as the position matchup(Murray isn't really a PG, he's playing it for Canada tho), I'm definitely taking Murray.

Reaction Score
This is my 2nd time seeing Murray, the Hoop Summit game being the other. If we're going between Murray and Purvis as far as the position matchup(Murray isn't really a PG, he's playing it for Canada tho), I'm definitely taking Murray.
Let's take this from the original quote from Greenberg

"Ulis will lead, Murray can play on & off ball, Briscoe attacks"

Gibbs will lead, Adams will play on/off, Purvis attacks.

I have to say I haven't seen Murray play so I won't offer an opinion, but is Murray worlds better than Adams? I think they would make up the match-up.

Reaction Score
Oh man, I'd love to play Kentucky in the Final Four. Then we'll shut Greenberg up.

Reaction Score
Greenberg's comments and the ensuing BY discussion are reminding me a lot of Brandon Jennings vs Kemba Walker discussions. We'll never know how Jennings would have fared in the college game, but we certainly know how things turned out for UCONN and Kemba Walker. I love our guys and I 100% wanted Jalen over Briscoe.

Reaction Score
Hard to go by the stats since Cal used the platoon system. Still, Ulis posted a 3.6-1.0 assist to turnover ratio - that's pretty damn impressive for a freshman.
Hi tcf15,
I see peoples point based on the lower minutes and the fact that his AST is spectacular. My point was that no one should anoint Ulis as being better than an experienced 4 year guard who has proven that he can run a team in a solid conference and averaged 16 pts, almost 4 assists, a plus 40% 3 pt average. We don't know what Ulis will be. He looks great but he hasn't done it yet. We do know Gibbs has done it. Murray and Briscoe despite all their obvious talent and raw ability have never played in a college game. Purvis has all the athletic ability to be an incredible college player. His problems involve decision making as I see it. If Ollie can straighten his head out and just get him to score the basketball and make some decent decisions with his experience and ability he should be better than at least one of those two Kentucky freshmen this year. Having seen video (I know not a good barometer) of Adams, Murray and Briscoe I think Adams can play with them. Or at least not be embarrassed. Briscoe looks scary good but nobody is actually defending him in most of the clips I've seen. I guess it only matters if we play them. Can we at least let Murray and Briscoe play some college games before we say how good they are?
Greenburg's first comment was innocent enough. He said they "could" be the best back court in the country. His follow up comment that our back court was not in the same league is stupid. Sterling Gibbs alone played in more college games than Kentucky's back court combined and did a nice job of it. How could you take three mostly unproven players and say that for this season they are in a league above a senior and junior player who have played major minutes at big D1 programs?
If you had an opportunity right now to take Ulis over Gibbs or Purvis for this coming season and you had 5 minutes to make the decision would you? Not down the road. Not looking at the possibility of his future but for this season alone? I wouldn't. I think Purvis becomes a big time scorer for us this year. He will probably still throw the ball away and make some dumb decisions but I think by the end of the 2015-16 season we will be singing his praises.
By the way, as a mostly lurker (as you can see from my limited posts) thanks so much for all the great information you post here!

Reaction Score
Bottom line is, this program doesn't need to worry about who Kentucky or anyone else recruited. Nobody has a better track record for coaching up a backcourt or getting a team to put ten toes in, play like champions and go get it, than the Uconn @#ing Huskies. I won't hesitate to put both dollars I have in my savings right now on this team making the final four. I'm all in!

You're welcome for this expert analysis.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
His original tweet shouldn't offend anyone with an open mind. But to make a separate tweet stating UConn is not in the same class, is offensive or dumb. Our backcourts are comparable regardless of which one ends up better.

I personally could care less what he says, but I will be more than happy if Purvis, Gibbs and Co are offended. Bulletin board stuff is always good motivation.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Gibbs has rated poorly defensively, and Ulis, for the most part, has held up well on that end, despite his size. But there were instances where Cal was forced to pull Ulis from the game because of the size he was giving up to an opposing guard, and in being flanked by potentially the best defensive front court in the nation, Gibbs will likely be asked to play to scheme rather than ability.

I've only seen Gibbs a couple of times, so don't claim to be an expert, but I'd imagine some of that defensive liability was do to the fact that, as you mention, he all but carried the offensive load on his own.

I'm not saying he'll be a great (good?) defender mind you. But without having to carry so much weight, maybe he has more energy/focus for defense. You know Ollie will emphasize that with him, whereas at Seton Hall, I'm guessing defensive emphasis was minimized in favor of (much needed) offense.

Last edited:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I'm currently having an at the prospect of UK v. UConn in the 2016 final four.

Reaction Score
We should be used to seeing things like this. I'm happy to see that the team is again under the radar.

They doubt UConn in March and they look foolish.

Then, they hop on the bandwagon.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It sucks that many people actually care what he thinks. ESPN does whatever it can to promote everything duke/kent, get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom