Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe we are his last official which gives us the chance to close him if he likes Storrs better than other places he has been. There shouldn't be any questions on whether what campus or facilities he likes the best after this weekend whether that be UConn or another school.

he's not taking the official to SC?

Reaction Score
he's not taking the official to SC?
Just checked and it looks like he will be. He tweeted last night that he had one more official left but looking now that tweet has been deleted. However, I believe he's been there a few times so he knows what they have.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Looks like we are on the crystal ball board for Tevin Mack. Guy who made that pick works for Maryland 247, said he talked to a source close to UConn and that UConn expects a commitment from a wing player in the near future.
Could be Jones? Haven't heard much about Jone's recruitment lately.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Not Jones. I wouldn't expect anything there until the spring, if we are still after him then. Clarke and Mack are deciding soon. We could have 1 of them by this time next week. We are taking the first to commit and they know that.
That's awesome. If I had my choice between 3-4 years of Mack or 1-2 of Jones. Im taking Mack every time. Fingers crossed.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
That's awesome. If I had my choice between 3-4 years of Mack or 1-2 of Jones. Im taking Mack every time. Fingers crossed.

Why do you think Mack is a 3-4 year guy?

Reaction Score
Looks like we are on the crystal ball board for Tevin Mack. Guy who made that pick works for Maryland 247, said he talked to a source close to UConn and that UConn expects a commitment from a wing player in the near future.

Think this deserves its own thread?

UconnU

Reaction Score
Why do you think Mack is a 3-4 year guy?
just an educated guess based on where he's ranked now. You never really know, I would have guessed DeAndre Daniels was a 1-2 year guy coming into UConn based on his top 10 ranking..

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Any of the three wings would be great. I still like Jones more, but would be pleased with either of the other two.

Reaction Score
Any of the three wings would be great. I still like Jones more, but would be pleased with either of the other two.
I agree, but no way should KO wait for Jones, which is clear he won't. If we have an open ship come spring and he's still interested, I'd love to see him take his high flying act to Storrs. But a bird or two in the hand in either Mack and/or Clarke is a much wiser move than taking their chance they'll win the Jones sweepstakes come springtime.

As for how many years any of these wings will spend in college who knows?!?! If I were to take a wild stab at it, I'd say Jones is a two year player at most. NBA GMs just can't resist taking long athletic players with perceived upside, which is what Jones is.

Clarke looks like a very good talent with a high motor, but he looks more like a 3 or 4 year guy unless he turns into a bigger scorer than he seems. His high motor will likely earn him an NBA contract someday.

Mack IMO is the bigger mystery of the lot. He's the better deep shooter who has a rep of working very hard at his game. He's not a great athlete, but appears to be still growing and could turn out to be a stretch 4 who can really shoot it. The NBA loves those types as well, since they pull 4s out of the paint, can score from deep and open things up for the guards and wings, which plays well in the new NBA. If he turns out to be a solid rebounder and good passer as well, that could really garner some next level interest. He too could end up being a 3 year player if he expands his game.

So much depends on how much they improve, perceived upside and what type of talent is in each draft. Like most here, I'll be happy with whichever one, or two, they end up landing. Since Jones appears to be waiting till the spring, I can see them landing Mack or Clark this fall and still having a shot at landing him in the spring. Those two aren't likely going to scare Jones away, unless they blow up during their senior year, but if Jones were to commit first, then I think he'd scare off those two. Usually recruits who play the same position who are ranked where these guys are, all end up in different places. Occasionally a program can land a couple, as UConn did with Shad and Denham, if the coach can convince them they can coexist on the floor in their system.

Reaction Score
Enoch has "exploded on the scene," sure. But he picked UConn over who? Memphis, BC, Oregon? I'm not saying he's not a good player, but this stuff on here about Ollie and crew dominating the recruiting scene is a little overblown and definitely premature.

There are so many things involved in recruiting, as others have here pointed out, that it makes little sense to talk about 'poor' recruiting. All the top teams and wanna be will go after the who-is-who, etc. And the usually ranked schools (KU, Duke, etc) will continue to horde the majority. As an elite program Uconn will get one, perhaps its share, but more importantly, it will recruit the type of player that fit an can excell in our system. The recruiting of these 'system type players' might be harder and more rewarding in the long run then bringing in the top 3-5. I'm always pleasantly amuse when we have to play schools like Wisn, Minn, etc., and suddently you are facing a bunch of unknown but excellent basketball players who play team ball. Yes, they do not, usually, win NC, but they are always a few plays away.

Reaction Score
There are so many things involved in recruiting, as others have here pointed out, that it makes little sense to talk about 'poor' recruiting. All the top teams and wanna be will go after the who-is-who, etc. And the usually ranked schools (KU, Duke, etc) will continue to horde the majority. As an elite program Uconn will get one, perhaps its share, but more importantly, it will recruit the type of player that fit an can excell in our system. The recruiting of these 'system type players' might be harder and more rewarding in the long run then bringing in the top 3-5. I'm always pleasantly amuse when we have to play schools like Wisn, Minn, etc., and suddently you are facing a bunch of unknown but excellent basketball players who play team ball. Yes, they do not, usually, win NC, but they are always a few plays away.

Yeah well said. Crack is right regarding Memphis, the Ducks and BC but I think we can all assume that others were checking in. The only issue is as he's "blowing up" my guess, and it is only a guess, would be the big guys check in to see if they can play and then do their homework. He's a late bloomer who is from Norwalk CT and grew up a huge Husky fan as well as his parents also. Now a UK sends someone in and the family and kid smile but do not fall to their knees thanking God that Cal is interested instead say "thanks and we'll let you know". How much time are they going to waste on this?

Again it's only hypothetical and I used UK and it could have been UNC, UCLA, Indiana etc etc but they all know he's going to be a Husky ! Just a thought as to why you didn't see the other bigs on Steve.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
We aren't giving up on Jones but his late decision will put him at a disadvantage if we land Mack & Stone, we really won't have room for him even if he wanted to come.

Jones still remains a wing priority but we also won't let his late signing date affect our chances of landing a Clarke/Mack. For what it's worth it seems like Mack is trending way up for us and Clarke way down so I would be shocked if Clarke was the wing commit that is expected.

The only way I see Jones coming if we land an early period wing commit is if we miss on Stone, then we put for the full court press on him as our last piece to the class. Jalen, Enoch, Mack & Stone class would still be monstrous

Reaction Score
I guess I'm the only one who wouldn't be shocked if Jones committed to us early. He seems by far the most logical if KO really believes a wing will commit soon.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm the only one who wouldn't be shocked if Jones committed to us early. He seems by far the most logical if KO really believes a wing will commit soon.

If I recall, a month or so back, 99 said he heard Jones could be close to making a decision.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
If I recall, a month or so back, 99 said he heard Jones could be close to making a decision.
Sign me up for Jones 1st and foremost on the wing if he does indeed decide early. I bet he may decide early if he knows UK is landing Briscoe and Blankeney

Reaction Score
Jones and grades - something to be mindful of. Both Clarke and Mack are looking to make a decision in next week.

Ok, guess he needs to make the grade still huh? People are nervous?

You still thinking no shot on Clarke or has anything changed? Mack or next..........thanks now I'm all over the place lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny

Top Bottom