Tara Vanderveer Retires (merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tara Vanderveer Retires (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Geno did 2 runs as national team coach. How many should he add?
When Tara was the coach of the Olympic team they were not allowed to coach their college team at the time. When Geno did it they were allowed to stay as head coach, so there is no games that he missed as a coach. Tara missed a complete season, she was still considered as the head coach so she still got the wins and losses.

The Olympic team traveled around the Country playing games during the regular season back then and also had their practices so it was not possible to coach her team. One of the reasons why they changed it was because of the formation of the WNBA after the Olympics and the other is because they actually did a complete revamping of the way the National teams both Men's and Women's practiced and were assembled.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not fair. They get paid, and many would do it for free (once or twice), just for the opportunity.
I like travel. got over hating flying, that is until recently when parts starting falling off models I fly on. I don’t get paid, quite the opposite. Going cross country in a month on a Boeing model that has been in the news. Keeping my seat belt fastened. I have Tara by a few years, too.

Reaction Score
OMG, just like the annoying PAC12 announcers, the hubris that Stanford and the network shows by stating “GOAT” is astounding. She CURRENTLY has the most wins so if you want to state “Winningest” Coach of all time fine but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES is she the GOAT.

In the pantheon of WCBB she currently ranks 4th and will soon be 5th behind Geno, Pat, Kim and soon-Dawn.

That is still unbelievable but nowhere near GOAT status.

Thanks for a truly remarkable career and for your huge, contributions to Women’s basketball (College, Olympics and launch of professional). You will be missed.

Get where you're coming from, but at the same time the term GOAT is used liberally by everyone. It's used with anyone who has had an exemplary career (Wooden, Auriemma, Coach Krzyzewski, etc.).

In this case, it's appropriate from the vantage point of Stanford and the impact she's had for the university. Before she got on campus, the investments in women's sports there paled in comparison. The WBB scholarships program are funded via an endowment, which is rare. She forced the athletic department to look at women's sports differently and their various programs have benefitted from it. To Stanford, she's their GOAT.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The disassembling of the PAC 12 is having vast ripple effects. Players, coaches, and schools.

Such a shame and all for football $$$
Ahhhh, well.

Reaction Score
How many games did he miss?
Probably zero. The original post said the national team games were added to TVD's total. Geno had a few of them too. At least 2 runs through Olympic gold.

Reaction Score
I like travel. got over hating flying, that is until recently when parts starting falling off models I fly on. I don’t get paid, quite the opposite. Going cross country in a month on a Boeing model that has been in the news. Keeping my seat belt fastened. I have Tara by a few years, too.
I haven't liked it since they outlawed smoking and drinking on half empty planes.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
When Tara was the coach of the Olympic team they were not allowed to coach their college team at the time. When Geno did it they were allowed to stay as head coach, so there is no games that he missed as a coach. Tara missed a complete season, she was still considered as the head coach so she still got the wins and losses.

The Olympic team traveled around the Country playing games during the regular season back then and also had their practices so it was not possible to coach her team. One of the reasons why they changed it was because of the formation of the WNBA after the Olympics and the other is because they actually did a complete revamping of the way the National teams both Men's and Women's practiced and were assembled.
incorrect. She did NOT get the wins and losses! Unlike say a coach who was sick and did not coach several games but got the ones (GA).

Reaction Score
Probably zero. The original post said the national team games were added to TVD's total. Geno had a few of them too. At least 2 runs through Olympic gold.
NCAA career coaching records do not include results from Olympic/National team tenures. Separate things.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The NCAA totals are for college games coached at any division level, but not games coached for NT or WNBA or HS, etc. They include all games in a season for an NCAA team except exhibition games. And they include games missed for illness or other reason from a coach under contract for the full year.

The issue specific to Tara and I believe she is the only USA Team coach who has done this, was that she took a leave of absence for the year prior to the Olympics in 1996. Because she did not coach Stanford for the 1995-96 season, the wins Stanford compiled that year are not included in her career win total. The Wiki page on Tara lists that season in her list of seasons coached, but the totals at the bottom of the page do not include either the wins or losses from that year.

In context:
The USA Women's NT had fallen on 'hard times' international in the previous WC and Olympics, and the feeling was assembling a team a few weeks before the Olympics wasn't good enough any more. So a national team was assembled in 1995 and played all year against both international teams and against US college teams. Tara (reluctantly on her part?) was chosen as HC. This was the last Olympics before the US had a professional league for women that allowed for home grown professionals to hone their skills between NT events. Since then, the idea of a pool of NT players meeting for training sessions multiple times a year has taken the place of the experiment that was the 1995-6 full year 'season' for the NT team. No NT coach since Tara has found it necessary to take a leave of absence from their college or pro coaching job.

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, but I truly believe that Tara retired now while she was still the winningest WCB coach. Geno was going to pass her this coming year without a doubt so she retires being on top now before the title changes hands.
As for Geno retiring, that's not happening anytime soon. He was definitely the Coach of the Year for the job he did with this great but depleted squad and now with Paige, Sarah, and a half dozen reinforcements as well, it's going to be back to UConn against the world. I could see another 4-peat coming and only the best of the best coming to play for Geno.
This year's team got robbed for a ratings match-up and these young ladies fought too hard and too valiantly only to be robbed in plain sight. Geno is used to being robbed as COTY, but he'll not forget what they did to this squad of Huskies. He'll be back with a vengeance and coaching these ladies like nobody else. Uconn is back to being Titletown USA! Next season can't come soon enough for me!

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, but I truly believe that Tara retired now while she was still the winningest WCB coach. Geno was going to pass her this coming year without a doubt so she retires being on top now before the title changes hands.
As for Geno retiring, that's not happening anytime soon. He was definitely the Coach of the Year for the job he did with this great but depleted squad and now with Paige, Sarah, and a half dozen reinforcements as well, it's going to be back to UConn against the world. I could see another 4-peat coming and only the best of the best coming to play for Geno.
This year's team got robbed for a ratings match-up and these young ladies fought too hard and too valiantly only to be robbed in plain sight. Geno is used to being robbed as COTY, but he'll not forget what they did to this squad of Huskies. He'll be back with a vengeance and coaching these ladies like nobody else. Uconn is back to being Titletown USA! Next season can't come soon enough for me!

The ratings "fix" theory seems to be interchangeable depending on which fan base wants to leverage it. Some Iowa fans are claiming this on their board regarding the team's loss in the championship game. I'm sure there are LSU fans thinking the same regarding their team's loss to Iowa. I have a hard time believing that's the case when you hear the same complaint from different fan bases.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
OMG, just like the annoying PAC12 announcers, the hubris that Stanford and the network shows by stating “GOAT” is astounding. She CURRENTLY has the most wins so if you want to state “Winningest” Coach of all time fine but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES is she the GOAT.

In the pantheon of WCBB she currently ranks 4th and will soon be 5th behind Geno, Pat, Kim and soon-Dawn.

That is still unbelievable but nowhere near GOAT status.

Thanks for a truly remarkable career and for your huge, contributions to Women’s basketball (College, Olympics and launch of professional). You will be missed.
When I think I’ve seen the most narrow-minded and petty UConn fan, someone comes along to prove I was wrong.

You’re complaining because Stanford is showing well-deserved respect to one of the best coaches in the sport, a member of wcbb old guard that had a hand in making the sport what it is today. Certainly Coach V is GOAT at Stanford. Tara worked hard for and deserves the respect shown to her.

Man!

Reaction Score
The ratings "fix" theory seems to be interchangeable depending on which fan base wants to leverage it. Some Iowa fans are claiming this on their board regarding the team's loss in the championship game. I'm sure there are LSU fans thinking the same regarding their team's loss to Iowa. I have a hard time believing that's the case when you hear the same complaint from different fan bases.
I don't believe it matters whether it's 1 or 2 fan bases complaining. They've built Clark up to be the greatest basketball player of all time and there's no doubt that she brings ratings when Iowa plays. The powers that be wanted Iowa vs undefeated S. Carolina and that's what they got. They didn't care how many toes got stepped on.
I know what I saw and they stole the game against UConn. I'm certainly not the only one who witnessed this blatant theft. Athletes from various sports were remarking on Twitter how UConn was robbed and they weren't exactly UConn fans. It was too obvious, but they didn't care. They certainly got the ratings they desired and that's all that mattered to them.

Reaction Score
I don't believe it matters whether it's 1 or 2 fan bases complaining. They've built Clark up to be the greatest basketball player of all time and there's no doubt that she brings ratings when Iowa plays. The powers that be wanted Iowa vs undefeated S. Carolina and that's what they got. They didn't care how many toes got stepped on.
I know what I saw and they stole the game against UConn. I'm certainly not the only one who witnessed this blatant theft. Athletes from various sports were remarking on Twitter how UConn was robbed and they weren't exactly UConn fans. It was too obvious, but they didn't care. They certainly got the ratings they desired and that's all that mattered to them.
You're entitled to your perspective. However, with various fan bases grousing that the fix was in for their respective team at different points of the tournament indicates something different to me.

It reminds me of a saying a former boss of mine had. When both sides aren't fully satisfied with a deal after tense negotiations, it's likely to be the fairest deal possible. In this case, with various fan bases complaining the fix was in for their respective team, the NCAA selection committee did a better job with the brackets than some will give them credit for.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I may view the world through biased homer Cardinal-colored glasses, but I truly don't think so. Tara said at her retirement press conference when asked that she'll look forward to Geno passing her because "records are made to be broken." She expressly thanked Geno as among the WCBB coaches who were her peers and elevated the game, and I'm fully confident she will record a video tribute to him when he passes her record this fall. Let's please bury the hatchet while at least one of the two of them is still actively coaching in the game.

Reaction Score
I may view the world through biased homer Cardinal-colored glasses, but I truly don't think so. Tara said at her retirement press conference when asked that she'll look forward to Geno passing her because "records are made to be broken." She expressly thanked Geno as among the WCBB coaches who were her peers and elevated the game, and I'm fully confident she will record a video tribute to him when he passes her record this fall. Let's please bury the hatchet while at least one of the two of them is still actively coaching in the game.
Always a class act
Looks to be in great shape and ready for a change!
And I’m happy she made the decision
While I’m sure she would ever admit I suspect
Nil and the portal was not of much interest to her
Re the wins record it’s just media hype!!

Reaction Score
There's no hatchet to bury. Tara retired as the winningest coach of all time. Had she waited to retire an additional season, she wouldn't be able to say that. It kind of goes without saying. Geno was going to pass her no matter what. Retiring with the title (albeit briefly) has meaning for her, no doubt.
I'm a UConn fan, not a Stanford fan. Geno and CD are the all-time greatest coaches in NCAA WCB. It's an honor for Tara to be mentioned with their names.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There's no hatchet to bury. Tara retired as the winningest coach of all time. Had she waited to retire an additional season, she wouldn't be able to say that. It kind of goes without saying. Geno was going to pass her no matter what. Retiring with the title (albeit briefly) has meaning for her, no doubt.
I'm a UConn fan, not a Stanford fan. Geno and CD are the all-time greatest coaches in NCAA WCB. It's an honor for Tara to be mentioned with their names.
I’m a UConn fan too. Your take on Tara could not be more wrong. Tara was a HC well before Geno, and her career is a testament to her hard work and success. While we UConn fans may consider Geno and CD to be the best coaches in WBB, suggesting that, “It’s an honor for Tara to be mentioned with their names” is the type of petty and ungracious remark that causes fans of other teams to think UConn fans lack class.

I suggest you take your lead from Geno, who could not have been more gracious in his remarks about Tara and Stanford basketball following the news of her retirement. We can in fact root intensely for the Huskies while praising their opponents, particularly an opponent who competed so intensely against UConn for so many seasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Maybe I’m like FarmFan, but I think Tara’s career is a testament to her hard work and dedication. Not many people would’ve been able to coach at Stanford and maintain relevance on such a large scale. Tara and Stanford were the perfect match. What she was able to do for decades with Stanford’s academic restrictions is truly something to marvel.

Reaction Score
I’m a UConn fan too. Your take on Tara could not be more wrong. Tara was a HC well before Geno, and her career is a testament to her hard work and success. While we UConn fans may consider Geno and CD to be the best coaches in WBB, suggesting that, “It’s an honor for Tara to be mentioned with their names” is the type of petty and ungracious remark that causes fans of other teams to think UConn fans lack class.

I suggest you take your lead from Geno, who could not have been more gracious in his remarks about Tara and Stanford basketball following the news of her retirement. We can in fact root intensely for the Huskies while praising their opponents, particularly an opponent who competed so intensely against UConn for so many seasons.
Agreed. It's totally possible to have a favourite while appreciating what others have accomplished. Well said.

Reaction Score
They'll schedule the way they did in the Pac12: fly out Thursday, play a game on Friday, quick trip to another relatively close school, play a Sunday game, back on the plane home in time for Monday classes. If you're playing a 16 game conference schedule, that's 8 road games, so one east coast trip per month in this manner. That's a lot more travel distance wise than before, but it's not the end of the world.

But unlike when they were in the Pac-12, the distances, the hours, and the jet lag will be debilitating. The Pac-12 had how many trips just inside California? UCLA, USC, UC Berkeley. Then quick hops to Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State. The "long" trips were just to Arizona and Colorado. Have I got that right? For the ACC, the trips will all be three time zones away. That's three-hour jet lags. And how many weeks in a row will they be traveling out to Florida, North Carolina, Kentucky?

Killer.

Reaction Score
But unlike when they were in the Pac-12, the distances, the hours, and the jet lag will be debilitating. The Pac-12 had how many trips just inside California? UCLA, USC, UC Berkeley. Then quick hops to Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State. The "long" trips were just to Arizona and Colorado. Have I got that right? For the ACC, the trips will all be three time zones away. That's three-hour jet lags. And how many weeks in a row will they be traveling out to Florida, North Carolina, Kentucky?

Killer.
They are 18-22 year olds. They'll be OK.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Killer.
It is one trip every other week at most if the schedule makers are good and if the conference starts in early December or even late Nov it is spread over 3 plus months. That is not a 'debilitating' amount of travel. In terms of # of trips it is the same and the actual travel time has only increased by about 50%. The time zones are annoying but 3 hours is not that disruptive, and if they are smart with a two or three day stay, and only two fixed times (games) they may compromise on adjusting to the east coast time so they don't have as much of an adjustment on the return trip.

Reaction Score
Is Geno three wins behind Tara, better get those tickets to the fourth game of the season as early as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom