Tara Vanderveer Retires (merged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tara Vanderveer Retires (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What a horror for the student/athletes at Stanford when they have to fly seven hours each way to East Coast universities for basketball games. I'm guessing that they'll be grouping games together within regions. But if so, say UNC and NC State and Florida together, when in the world will they be able to attend class and take exams? One of Stanford's great draws was its educational quality. If you're going to be away from campus for a week at a time or more during the regular season, what kind of education can these young people possibly receive?

Terrible mistake. Huge burden for the athlets.
They'll schedule the way they did in the Pac12: fly out Thursday, play a game on Friday, quick trip to another relatively close school, play a Sunday game, back on the plane home in time for Monday classes. If you're playing a 16 game conference schedule, that's 8 road games, so one east coast trip per month in this manner. That's a lot more travel distance wise than before, but it's not the end of the world.

Reaction Score
WHAT? I feel bad, really, totally why, she'll be 71 in June, I am sad! This makes me feel old, I am feel like the world is ending in a way because I now feel that time is marching and now I am marching with it. Geno most likely with this news is now thinking WHEN for himself???
A good guess for Geno would be to remain through the Sarah Strong Era. He will be about 75 when she graduates. Recruiting from noon is going to get iffy.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Geno will have the most wins all-time - probably forever. There is too much parity in the women's game now for anyone to catch him.
And any coaches that spent a lot of time as assistants before moving up, or playing in the pros before coaching won't have enough years on the job to do it.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
That stinks. Geno flew all over the place with tired kids. It is bad no matter who is doing it, it was more than a mistake --it was damaging to the players. Who could think this right??
It's not about the kids, it's about the money.

Reaction Score
Such a great coach and person. I wondered if this was going to happen after Betts went portal. Congratulations Coach on a wonderful career. You touched he lives of many young women and made them better for it.
“Went portal” — is that the new term for it?

Reaction Score
Great coach, who with time to prepare, could give Geno and his greatest teams fits, with her planning and her teams execution. One of the best tacticians and bench coaches. Goes out on top at a time of her choosing.

I think Stanford had the transition plan in place, and I will not be surprised if they retain both their current players and their current recruits. Stanford recruiting has always been a mixture of Tara and the school - a Stanford degree is impressive whether you enter the working world immediately after graduation of after a 10 year professional career.

The headwind of the ACC move, and the reality of life after Tara may begin to chip away from the attractiveness to recruits in time, but I think it will be a gradual process.
Stewie's last 123 games at Uconn 122-1, the loss at Stanford the second game of the 2014-2015 season.

Reaction Score
A good guess for Geno would be to remain through the Sarah Strong Era. He will be about 75 when she graduates. Recruiting from noon is going to get iffy.
If he gets number 12 next year with Paige, and she leaves, he might decide to go out on top.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Not a surprise, but definitely shocked and a bit heartbroken. TVD was such a huge advocate for women’s basketball, but especially for West Coast hoops. East Coast bias really is a thing and she did her best to bring up not just Stanford but all of West Coast basketball.

Her legacy is much more than the number of wins. For those who say she isn’t the GOAT are just looking at the numbers - her influence and impact went beyond that. It’s more what happens when no one is looking when you start to understand why she is revered so much by colleagues, fans, players and opponents.

I know UConn fans and TVD got off on the wrong foot (and for good reason, mind you, hah) back in 1995, but I hope in time many saw her for what she really was: someone who was a women’s basketball fan at heart, whose passion for the game was pure and just wanted what was best for the sport and not just her teams. She was someone who went out of her way to impact people, mentor them, teach them.

One of my favorite stories I learned today was back in 2010, after Stanford destroyed South Carolina, Staley asked TVD to give a pep talk to her team. She did it for the students, but she also did it to set an example to coaches on how they should act and respect opposing coaches. Stories like this have started trickling out and it’s fun and sad to read.

Yes, Geno will break the all-time wins record (deservedly so) later this year, but if you really know, understand and appreciate women’s basketball and it’s history, you’ll know TVD’s impact is more than just how many wins or national titles she has won.

Congrats on a fabulous career at Stanford.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
They'll schedule the way they did in the Pac12: fly out Thursday, play a game on Friday, quick trip to another relatively close school, play a Sunday game, back on the plane home in time for Monday classes. If you're playing a 16 game conference schedule, that's 8 road games, so one east coast trip per month in this manner. That's a lot more travel distance wise than before, but it's not the end of the world.
The ACC plays 18 games. Next season, everyone will play everyone else once and one team, their designated rival, twice. Not sure how it will shake out with Stanford but I imagine they'll alternate years with 10 and 8 home games...although with Cal being so close, maybe it will be split up evenly 9 and 9.

Next year, NC State plays Cal and Stanford over a Thursday/Sunday weekend on the west coast. I think the plan is for the east coast teams designated for road games at Cal and Stanford to travel in pairs, so that while one team is playing Cal on the Thursday, the other can play Stanford and then switch for the Sunday game.

But Cal and Stanford will have to make, at a minimum, three trips to the east coast for conference games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not a surprise, but definitely shocked and a bit heartbroken. TVD was such a huge advocate for women’s basketball, but especially for West Coast hoops. East Coast bias really is a thing and she did her best to bring up not just Stanford but all of West Coast basketball.

Her legacy is much more than the number of wins. For those who say she isn’t the GOAT are just looking at the numbers - her influence and impact went beyond that. It’s more what happens when no one is looking when you start to understand why she is revered so much by colleagues, fans, players and opponents.

I know UConn fans and TVD got off on the wrong foot (and for good reason, mind you, hah) back in 1995, but I hope in time many saw her for what she really was: someone who was a women’s basketball fan at heart, whose passion for the game was pure and just wanted what was best for the sport and not just her teams. She was someone who went out of her way to impact people, mentor them, teach them.

One of my favorite stories I learned today was back in 2010, after Stanford destroyed South Carolina, Staley asked TVD to give a pep talk to her team. She did it for the students, but she also did it to set an example to coaches on how they should act and respect opposing coaches. Stories like this have started trickling out and it’s fun and sad to read.

Yes, Geno will break the all-time wins record (deservedly so) later this year, but if you really know, understand and appreciate women’s basketball and it’s history, you’ll know TVD’s impact is more than just how many wins or national titles she has won.

Congrats on a fabulous career at Stanford.
I think she was the first to really undertake the modernization of women's basketball by integrating the developments of men's basketball through her interactions with the men's programs early in her career. She was a student of basketball, not just women's basketball and really studied x' and o's from every source of innovation in the game. In that way, Geno was a follower of her more than the other great women's coaches of that time.

I wasn't really aware of the brouhaha around Lobo and the NT at the time, and I think it was a bit overblown. And I think the contrast in personality between her and Geno may have had an impact on the perception of their relationship - but I think there was serious respect going both ways.

She really will be missed in the game, but I have high hopes for her successor - I think she taught the game to her players and coaches and I suspect her assistant will be a worthy replacement as far as coaching - the recruiting success may be be harder to duplicate.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The ACC plays 18 games. Next season, everyone will play everyone else once and one team, their designated rival, twice. Not sure how it will shake out with Stanford but I imagine they'll alternate years with 10 and 8 home games...although with Cal being so close, maybe it will be split up evenly 9 and 9.

Next year, NC State plays Cal and Stanford over a Thursday/Sunday weekend on the west coast. I think the plan is for the east coast teams designated for road games at Cal and Stanford to travel in pairs, so that while one team is playing Cal on the Thursday, the other can play Stanford and then switch for the Sunday game.

But Cal and Stanford will have to make, at a minimum, three trips to the east coast for conference games.
I certainly hope they arrange it so Stanford and Cal also a have minimum two game in each swing east and play home and home with each other every year. They could also minimize the travel disruptions by scheduling one of the trips over Christmas break, and one over winter/spring break. They might even squeeze six games into the two breaks in classes.

What will likely suffer are home/home OOC games against SEC teams and any other teams east of the Rockies. At least they can play the west coast teams in the Big10 OOC

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

As was mentioned above, that is the model the PAC followed, traveling partners determined by geography (Arizona, Washington and Oregon school pairs, LA schools, Bay Area schools, and mountain schools). For Stanford and Cal this will probably work.

I actually think some of the other odd conference situations may be worse travel.

Reaction Score
Wow, just seeing the news now! Crazy. I had seen speculation here and elsewhere that she might retire this season, but I expected her to go another couple of years and then hang it up. Which probably would have happened had the PAC-12 never dissolved.

A true legend of the sport. Not many of the "old guard" of coaching is still left.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
During her press conference, she also gave a shoutout to Auriemma for being one of the many coaches of her generation who she looked up to and appreciated (she also name checked Summit, Ceal Barry and Jody Conradt, among others).

Kiki Irifiafen had asked her what her favorite "Tara-ism" was overall these years and while she said it depended on who she was talking to, one that she mentioned that had me cracking up was "Hey, they made 'Dumb & Dumber'... and you weren't in it!'

Such a bittersweet day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89