Tara Vanderveer Retires (merged) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Tara Vanderveer Retires (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When Tara was the coach of the Olympic team they were not allowed to coach their college team at the time. When Geno did it they were allowed to stay as head coach, so there is no games that he missed as a coach. Tara missed a complete season, she was still considered as the head coach so she still got the wins and losses.

The Olympic team traveled around the Country playing games during the regular season back then and also had their practices so it was not possible to coach her team. One of the reasons why they changed it was because of the formation of the WNBA after the Olympics and the other is because they actually did a complete revamping of the way the National teams both Men's and Women's practiced and were assembled.
It's not the case that coaches weren't allowed to coach their college teams during the Olympic years. It was just for that particular Olympics that USA basketball decided to have the national team be together for a year rather than the usual way where the national team only played together for weeks before the Olympics. Given that, it was expected that the coach of the national team take a leave from their college team.

Reaction Score
I’m a UConn fan too. Your take on Tara could not be more wrong. Tara was a HC well before Geno, and her career is a testament to her hard work and success. While we UConn fans may consider Geno and CD to be the best coaches in WBB, suggesting that, “It’s an honor for Tara to be mentioned with their names” is the type of petty and ungracious remark that causes fans of other teams to think UConn fans lack class.

I suggest you take your lead from Geno, who could not have been more gracious in his remarks about Tara and Stanford basketball following the news of her retirement. We can in fact root intensely for the Huskies while praising their opponents, particularly an opponent who competed so intensely against UConn for so many seasons.
Let's see. "Tara was a HC before Geno." So were a lot of other less successful coaches. I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere. According to you, my comment "is the type of petty and ungracious remark that causes fans of other teams to think UConn fans lack class." Personally, I doubt that many fans of other teams are reading page 5 of another teams message board checking to see how they view a coach who's retiring while she's hanging on by a thread to being the winningest coach in college basketball. Hey, maybe you're right. Maybe Tara will write you thanking you for leaping to her defense? You sure put me in my place.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Let's see. "Tara was a HC before Geno." So were a lot of other less successful coaches. I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere. According to you, my comment "is the type of petty and ungracious remark that causes fans of other teams to think UConn fans lack class." Personally, I doubt that many fans of other teams are reading page 5 of another teams message board checking to see how they view a coach who's retiring while she's hanging on by a thread to being the winningest coach in college basketball. Hey, maybe you're right. Maybe Tara will write you thanking you for leaping to her defense? You sure put me in my place.
If you are truly a UConn WBB fan, as you claim to be, then surely you must have seen Paige’s inspiring acceptance speech at the 2021 Espy awards. Whether referring to black WBB players or Tara Vanderveer’s incredible career, we can all take a lesson from Paige’s inspirational remarks, “Celebrating the success of others does not diminish me.”

Jim

Reaction Score
Just to throw a wrench into the "coach with the most wins" discussion, Geno missed a number of games due to health reasons. Chris Dailey took over for Geno when he was out and CD has something like a 18-0 record with Geno not there. CD also missed a few games (such as during covid and when she fainted during the national anthem), but she was on the bench for more of the wins than Geno. So when Geno and CD pass Tara for most wins, CD will be the winningest WBB coach of all time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just to throw a wrench into the "coach with the most wins" discussion, Geno missed a number of games due to health reasons. Chris Dailey took over for Geno when he was out and CD has something like a 18-0 record with Geno not there. CD also missed a few games (such as during covid and when she fainted during the national anthem), but she was on the bench for more of the wins than Geno. So when Geno and CD pass Tara for most wins, CD will be the winningest WBB coach of all time.
Trevor Jackson No GIF by grown-ish

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know. Just saying CD doesn't receive enough credit for her contributions to the program.
From who? Geno praises CD every chance he gets. The players all love and respect her. As for UConn’s fans, unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past 38 years, you absolutely know how important CD has been to the success of UConn WBB.

CD was inducted into the WBB HOF in 2018. She was previously inducted into the Rutgers University HOF. She is the only coach ever enshrined on the wall at Gampel as a HOH. I’d have to say that CD probably gets more credit than any other assistant coach in WBB, and deservedly so.

Reaction Score
If you are truly a UConn WBB fan, as you claim to be, then surely you must have seen Paige’s inspiring acceptance speech at the 2021 Espy awards. Whether referring to black WBB players or Tara Vanderveer’s incredible career, we can all take a lesson from Paige’s inspirational remarks, “Celebrating the success of others does not diminish me.”
What on Earth does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I'm a huge UConn WCB fan and I'm praising Geno and CD and all the UConn assistant coaches (Jamelle Elliott especially). I could care less about Tara V. I was mentioning the painfully obvious reason that Tara retired while holding the soon to be smashed title of College Basketball's all-time winningest coach. That's all! I'm not a Stanford fan, or, a Tara fan. I didn't mean to upset you. You're obviously a nicer guy than I am. I can't wait for next season to begin. The UConn dynasty has returned and will be around just like in the past when it was UConn against the world.....with UConn prevailing!!!
I wish you well...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89