Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConNick said:
Crazy that this kid has blown up. My only memory of him was a teacher yelling at him for throwing a snowball at some kid a couple years ago :) Incredible how far he's come and I want this kid at UConn!! He projects as a 4 at the next level so getting him doesn't hinder our chances for the package deals.

I was his counselor in an after school program when he was 8-10 years old. Still the same baby face he had back then! I remember going one-on-one with him bc he was about 5'5" and I'm 6' even. I was also 22 years old at the time...I like to think I taught him everything he knows!

Reaction Score
My son is 14 and finishing his freshman year. I was a big proponent of having him start a year later (late sept bday) due to maturity issues (not sports driven per se). I remember as an RA at UCONN there was a lot of difference between 17 and 18 year old freshman. I started school in Minnesota and they mandated you were 5 before you went to K so I ended up older than most kids throughout school which I found to be a competitive advantage across the board.

Turns out he ended up playing sports and it is amazing what he looks like now v a year ago. If he came in as a freshman this upcoming year the coaches would salivate. As it was he didn't get much pt this year as he was a little undersized. Grew about 5 inches since last summer.

For a lot of kids that year can be the difference between getting a look and not getting one.

Reaction Score
I often wonder about that. I started ny freshman year at 5'8", but I was 6' by the end of the year. If I had come into high school at 6', maybe I end up sticking with football.

Reaction Score
With this phenomenon, you see schools having to divvy up the classes as richer kids who learned to read at 4 start kindergarten at 6 while poorer kids with 2 working parents start kindergarten at 4. The 4 and 6 year old are put in the same class, necessitating schools to divvy up each class into quadrants with multiple teachers.

Reaction Score
With this phenomenon, you see schools having to divvy up the classes as richer kids who learned to read at 4 start kindergarten at 6 while poorer kids with 2 working parents start kindergarten at 4. The 4 and 6 year old are put in the same class, necessitating schools to divvy up each class into quadrants with multiple teachers.

And by high school, you can nearly perfectly determine which kids have involved parents by what level they're in. I used to teach 9th grade, and I had two sections of general level repeaters, meaning all kids who were in the lowest-level English class, and who had flunked the year before. At open house, nary a parent showed for either section. A friend of mine who taught honors English across the hall had standing room only in her room.

Reaction Score
This was published prior to UConn offering: http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/02/seven-takeaways-from-pangos-all-american-camp/

7. Big man Steve Enoch breaks out: Memphis is one of the only schools on Norwalk, Connecticut native Steve Enoch, but that should change after a good performance a Pangos this weekend.

Enoch played well throughout the camp and could stake a claim as the camp’s second best big man behind Zimmerman. Enoch will have to show more against national competition, but at 6-foot-9, many big-time programs will be interested in him this July.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
And by high school, you can nearly perfectly determine which kids have involved parents by what level they're in. I used to teach 9th grade, and I had two sections of general level repeaters, meaning all kids who were in the lowest-level English class, and who had flunked the year before. At open house, nary a parent showed for either section. A friend of mine who taught honors English across the hall had standing room only in her room.

But I bet about half the kids in the honors class belonged there and the rest had parents making phone calls and calling lawyers.

Reaction Score
But I bet about half the kids in the honors class belonged there and the rest had parents making phone calls and calling lawyers.

I can't speak to that specifically, but by high school, those kids have been on the honors track for long enough that they probably do belong in there, at least from a "what they've already learned" standpoint. I know when I was in high school, there were a few es in my honors and AP classes, but they worked their asses off and held their own as a result. So, to each his own.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Three crystal ball predictions on 247 today.

I know, I know - take it with an entire shaker of salt. But I'm starting to feel good about the prospects of landing Enoch and Adams, and have my fingers crossed for Sharma as well.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I can't speak to that specifically, but by high school, those kids have been on the honors track for long enough that they probably do belong in there, at least from a "what they've already learned" standpoint. I know when I was in high school, there were a few es in my honors and AP classes, but they worked their asses off and held their own as a result. So, to each his own.

Have you graduated H.S. recently? One of the biggest problems staff at the H.S. I work with is that too many parents feel their lambkins deserve honors courses, AP courses, playing time, etc.. Not sure why this is irks you. In my town and in the one I work honors course don't begin until high school. Parents fight to get their kid on the success track. I've worked with kids for 35 years and I can tell you, the higher the tax bracket, the greater the parental interference

Reaction Score
When Enoch was first mentioned on this board I believe I was one of the first detractors. Let me defend that assessment by saying my analysis came from 3 or 4 games I saw him play in Dec/Jan last year. In those, especially the loss @ Bpt Central, he looked lost and overwhelmed. Kind of a deer in headlights kind of thing. Looked athletic and talented just not like a high major player.

Now, let me be the first to say that it looks like I was wrong. If the videos I'm watching now are for real he has made amazing strides in just his understanding of the game. My fear with him was/is still that Ater Majok fear; tons of talent but just trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. But I had the same feeling about Brimah. If we get him I hope he proves me wrong some more.
I don't think Ater is a fair comparison since Ater was much older coming in and might have developed into a solid player if he had stuck around. The fact that Enoch is so young will probably help with him sticking around for a while. Also, I noticed that there was an article that stated that he had only been playing hoops for a couple years. Basketball is a very tough game to pick up late, particularly with ball handling, but the fact he's a big, explains a lot as far as what you observed. Unlike a guard picking up the game late, a big can not only get away with a late start in this sport, but they also tend to be slow developers.

If he's as athletic as they make him out to be and his improvement is skyrocketing, then KO should try to reel him in now. He sounds like a great player to come here since he probably is quite mold-able doesn't have some of the bad habits that some players bring with them. The fact that he's a CT kid, I hope the program does a good job of keeping that elite local talent here in state. With that said, I understand a staff has only so many ships to work with and there's always the chance they end up landing a player at his position who's better. I just hope they don't go after him halfheartedly and end up missing out on both some elite player as well as him. I don't envy the juggling act a D1 hoops coach has to go through with putting a recruiting class together. You stick too long with a blue-chip recruit or two or even more, you can end up missing out on some very good recruits that just need a little more time to develop and end up being at their college hoops peak as an upperclassman leading the team to another NC. Young uber-talented kids who leave after one year rarely end their college career with a championship, unless they're surrounded by a key upperclassman or two.

I'm both excited and extremely curious as to what type of 2015 class KO ends up with. I have little doubt that they will be some very good prospects. I'll be just as fine if he lands a top 10 to 20 type recruiting class made up of players who are excited to come here and fit our system as I'll be if he lands a top 1 to 3 type class landing one or more elite recruits.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I don't think Ater is a fair comparison since Ater was much older coming in and might have developed into a solid player if he had stuck around.
I've spent a bit of time in South Sudan and I don't know how anyone knows how old they are. The place is truely stone age except for Juba and a few other towns, and they are medieval. Nobody has records.

Reaction Score
I don't think Ater is a fair comparison since Ater was much older coming in and might have developed into a solid player.

I didn't mean to compare them as far as skill level or style of play. Just the similar feeling he could come in less ready for the college level game. Maybe Facey would be a better comparison. A year or 2 and ready hopefully.

Reaction Score
I didn't mean to compare them as far as skill level or style of play. Just the similar feeling he could come in less ready for the college level game. Maybe Facey would be a better comparison. A year or 2 and ready hopefully.

Kentan's problem also was associated with the speed of the college game especially reacting defensively. I think he was lost many times on that end and it hurt his ability to get on or stay on the court! Hopefully the defensive end becomes a bit more natural for him next year………I believe he can be special eventually!

Reaction Score
Facey or Brimah, or maybe somewhere in between.

Reaction Score
From Rivals on Enoch:

A big man from Connecticut who isn't yet ranked, Enoch is on track to make the highest debut of any player that isn't currently ranked. He is 6-foot-9 with a basketball body, rebounds aggressively and is a very good jump-shooter. Rivals.com needs to see him more, but he looks to be somebody that is easily a top 50-60 prospect, if not a bit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom