Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When Enoch was first mentioned on this board I believe I was one of the first detractors. Let me defend that assessment by saying my analysis came from 3 or 4 games I saw him play in Dec/Jan last year. In those, especially the loss @ Bpt Central, he looked lost and overwhelmed. Kind of a deer in headlights kind of thing. Looked athletic and talented just not like a high major player.

Now, let me be the first to say that it looks like I was wrong. If the videos I'm watching now are for real he has made amazing strides in just his understanding of the game. My fear with him was/is still that Ater Majok fear; tons of talent but just trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. But I had the same feeling about Brimah. If we get him I hope he proves me wrong some more.

Reaction Score
Love the left at 1:50 or so followed up by a finger roll…….big kid, lots of potential……plays a lot like Govan only seems to be more active and he's a home stater - nice!

Reaction Score
Being old school, I like a kid without a mixtape hype film (to date). Furthermore in the old school dept., having a good player from CT is important to our program, regardless of how elite we are.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jere Quinn next huh? ……….hmmmmm

Anyway love the strides in his improvement in such a short amount of time…..the ceiling is high here I'm guessing.

Reaction Score
16 years old with a description of 'hard work' in the article. Hmm sounds 'UConn perfect' to me (i.e. hard work=stairs).

Reaction Score
sounds like he's going to let the process play out - doesn't see like we will be getting a commit anytime soon. Plus he still may re-classify to 2016. Would love to get this kid though. Hopefully Drummond help steer him to us

Reaction Score
This is what I was alluding to in the other thread re: re-classifying...

Matthews said, "the plan 2 months ago was to reclassify, but now with all the high major interest, and the advice I am getting from others, I don't think he needs to reclassify. It's still an option because he's young and he needs more experience, but I think his talent level and ceiling is so high I don't know if we want to waste time in high school."

Reaction Score

Matthews said, "the plan 2 months ago was to reclassify, but now with all the high major interest, and the advice I am getting from others, I don't think he needs to reclassify. It's still an option because he's young and he needs more experience, but I think his talent level and ceiling is so high I don't know if we want to waste time in high school."

At this point in time going into my senior year, I was 16 years old as well. I'm sure that's true for half of the rising seniors in America. Only in highly competitive team sports is it weird to be 16 as a rising senior. I turned 18 after I graduated.

Reaction Score

Yeah, I'd be surprised if he reclassified now. If he's getting offers from high-majors, he should just go to college. Especially if one of those high-majors is UConn. Worst-case scenario, he redshirts a year and spends it practicing against top college players instead of against high school players.

Reaction Score
At this point in time going into my senior year, I was 16 years old as well. I'm sure that's true for half of the rising seniors in America. Only in highly competitive team sports is it weird to be 16 as a rising senior. I turned 18 after I graduated.

Yea it was like when Drummond reclassified back to the 2011 recruiting class and all these writers were saying he was "young" for the class when he was actually the normal age for his graduating class, he just had a later birthday in the summer.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
http://www.bluestarmedia.org/index....ed-at-pangos-all-american-event-in-California

I really like what was said at the bottom of this article:

Steve Enoch, St. Thomas More, Oakdale, Conn.: Here’s what really stood out about the Norwalk, Conn., native. Even though is Saturday night game was completed, Enoch stuck around and went to check out fellow big men play. “Just checking out what the other bigs are doing,” he says. That’s refreshing when most of cohorts were zoning out to tunes on their IPods. Enoch admits he needs to add about 20 pounds of muscle, pushing his weight to 240 pounds, to absorb the rigors of high-major college ball. Too much upside here, college is a stopover before the pros.

Agree with @Kitaman that Enoch seems like the perfect fit for UConn. A big that is a raw, hard-working, late-bloomer that can be coached into something special. I'm convinced. Sign him up.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
There's not much you can tell from a 3-minute highlight reel, but he kind of looks like a poor man's Jabari Parker. And I mean that as a compliment. Nice touch inside plus a decent looking stroke from the outside.

Reaction Score
From Rivals:

A relative newcomer to the game, Enoch hasn't been playing organized basketball for much more than a couple of years. On top of that, the solidly built four man won't even turn 17 until mid September making him very young for his class. He runs the floor, he is athletic around the rim, he rebounds well and he has very good shooting touch that extends all the way out to the three point line. He is a little rough around the edges overall as a player, but the raw talent to play at a high level is all there. Look for him to enter the 2015 Rivals150 when it is updated in late June and look for him to do so as a four-star prospect.

Reaction Score

Same here. I turned 18 after my first college semester.

Reaction Score

As did I. However in Massachusetts and some other states grade is not determined by year of birth, but instead by if you are 5 when school starts on September 1. I was born in June, but 85% of my high school class was older than me. Drummond would have been younger than 95% of his class mates if he went to my high school.

As an example, everyone who is a senior in high school in Connecticut was born between January 2014 and December 2014, but the seniors in high school in Massachusetts are born between September 2013 and August 2014. As has been proven by research that was made popular by Malcolm gladwell, a few months difference can make a HUGE difference in development depending upon when athletes or students start getting tracked. It could mean a student getting tracked for certain level courses going from middle school into high school or it could mean an athlete getting to play year round top level AAU in middle school or early high school that gets him access to better coaching, more challenging competition, and more exposure to scouts who could offer a scholarship to a private high school (a HUGE advantage for a high school athlete) or scout him for a college scholarship.

I think in this case he has already got the exposure even though he is young for his grade, so he has beat the odds. His best option is to get to college ASAP and redshirt a year if he needs to.

Reaction Score
As did I. However in Massachusetts and some other states grade is not determined by year of birth, but instead by if you are 5 when school starts on September 1. I was born in June, but 85% of my high school class was older than me. Drummond would have been younger than 95% of his class mates if he went to my high school.

As an example, everyone who is a senior in high school in Connecticut was born between January 2014 and December 2014, but the seniors in high school in Massachusetts are born between September 2013 and August 2014. As has been proven by research that was made popular by Malcolm gladwell, a few months difference can make a HUGE difference in development depending upon when athletes or students start getting tracked. It could mean a student getting tracked for certain level courses going from middle school into high school or it could mean an athlete getting to play year round top level AAU in middle school or early high school that gets him access to better coaching, more challenging competition, and more exposure to scouts who could offer a scholarship to a private high school (a HUGE advantage for a high school athlete) or scout him for a college scholarship.

I think in this case he has already got the exposure even though he is young for his grade, so he has beat the odds. His best option is to get to college ASAP and redshirt a year if he needs to.

But he's in Connecticut, not Mass., so he's actually in the middle of the curve, not at the front end of it. New York also is like Connecticut. All kids born in 2009 will be eligible to be enrolled in Kindergarten starting this fall.

Reaction Score
Being old school, I like a kid without a mixtape hype film (to date). Furthermore in the old school dept., having a good player from CT is important to our program, regardless of how elite we are.
Couldn't agree more. Keeping elites in state is the one thing I actually envy about Kentucky. We need to be better at it, and this kid doesn't look like a bad place to put in the work.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But he's in Connecticut, not Mass., so he's actually in the middle of the curve, not at the front end of it. New York also is like Connecticut. All kids born in 2009 will be eligible to be enrolled in Kindergarten starting this fall.

Connecticut students often go in the year late regardless. I played lacrosse in high school with a kid who was a class behind me despite being a month older, and I was a June birthday.

Reaction Score

But pretty much every state has a similar cut off to Massachusetts. there are only a few states that do it like Connecticut or even give an option by county.
http://www.superpages.com/supertips/age-to-start-kindergarten-by-state.html

He is very young for his grade when compared to all class of 2015 students in the country. He will be one of the youngest college basketball players in the entire country and many freshman will be 1-2 years older than him.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
These days it is much harder to find a 17 year old HS graduate. Everyone keeps their kid out of kindergarten longer to get "the competitive edge".
I graduated at 17 (until October) my buddy was 17 until February. You'll never see that again.
Most important: I like this kid!

Reaction Score
These days it is much harder to find a 17 year old HS graduate. Everyone keeps their kid out of kindergarten longer to get "the competitive edge".
I graduated at 17 (until October) my buddy was 17 until February. You'll never see that again.
Most important: I like this kid!

I was 16 until october also my Sr. year and even in '77 I had juniors and soph's on my hoop and baseball teams my age back then……..now those jR and Soph's might be 1-2 years older than I at their underclass stage.

Huge difference in a kid at 15/16 than 18/19 in so many ways…….I would love to have been a 19 year old senior!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom