Sterling/Temple Gibbs Discussion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sterling/Temple Gibbs Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's what makes me want him. I hate that guy.

This... I don't think there's a player, coach, or mascot in the country who doesn't want to punch Arcidiacono.

Reaction Score
What are the rules about discussing a possible transfer before being granted a release? Obviously unique circumstances with Temple being a recruit of UConn, but can Ollie discuss transferring to UConn with Sterling not released from Seton Hall? Or does it not matter with Sterling graduating soon?

Reaction Score
Around February or so, when I first began to dive into the grad transfer market, Sterling Gibbs was #1 on my wish list. Then, of course, he announced he would be returning to Seton Hall, and I turned my attention to Miller.

I have no inside information, but having watched an irrational amount of Seton Hall games the past couple years, I feel like I have at least a general handle on the sort of player Gibbs is. He's a very unique player - not overly athletic or explosive, but crafty, adept at using screens, and a decent enough passer. He's remarkably similar to his older brother, Ashton, who torched us plenty of times at Pitt. Much like Ashton, he isn't a pure point guard, and his shot release is unorthodox, which makes it all the more remarkable that he converts at such a high clip while being so small in stature.

I've long felt that last years team was significantly better than their quality of play indicated. Part of it was obviously the inevitable growing pains of replacing four rotation players from the season prior, but even dating back to last October, when I was piecing together a preview, the one thing that stood out to me was that the pieces did not fit. I think Ollie recognized this fairly early, which is why I think - aside from Boatright - you saw less ball screens last season than you did the two years prior. He had to sort of re-invent the offense, implementing more of a spread look that never really worked for the simple fact that we didn't have any shooters. And I make the distinction between a shooter and a guy that can shoot - Hamilton and Purvis can shoot, Gibbs is a shooter.

Boatright was an elite three point shooter last season, yes, but because he was the only player who could consistently initiate the offense via the ball screen, some of his value as a floor spacer was lost - teams just swarmed ball screens and forced him to give it up to Facey or Nolan who would proceed to look confused. The offense never got to the point where you could put the ball in Purvis' hands, involve him in a ball screen, and station Boat in the corner to spread the floor. Plus, Boat, for as good as he was, was never your prototypical standstill shooter.

Gibbs - via both his passing ability and shooting - solves virtually all our problems, at least on paper. The same can be said of Miller on the defensive end. Structurally, it makes for far smoother airways - defenders aren't as free to crash down from the weak side to help on Brimah rim runs, and if you want to throw Gibbs and Hamilton into a pick and roll, that won't be easy to defend for opponents. Can't go under the screen, can't help off Hamilton.

I'm not a big fan of projecting teams as sweet sixteen or elite eight or national championship quality, because the tournament is so unpredictable that you can have a great team lose in the round of 32 and a decent team make the final four. Ultimately, though, there is a select group of maybe a dozen teams that can win the whole thing if it's in the cards. I believe that this will be one of those teams if Gibbs comes here. This team is extremely talented as it stands - the priority of the staff over the off-season was locating the one or two connective devices that enriches the overall production of the roster. We found one of them in Miller, hopefully we find another one in Gibbs. Next season is wide open in college basketball and there aren't many rosters I like better than this one.

Reaction Score
I love ur point about guys that can shoot and a shooter.

We need a shooter desperately!

Great post, enjoyed reading the whole thing.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm with rip 7774. Great post.
We have lots of posts that agree with us.
Lots of posts that disagree.
Pretty rare to get a post that help you see something differently.
Thanks.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Temple Gibbs is getting a lot of Notre Dame traction on the Crystal Ball.

Take it for what it's worth.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The only problem with the Gibbs-squared rumor is that it isn't true.

Reaction Score
Around February or so, when I first began to dive into the grad transfer market, Sterling Gibbs was #1 on my wish list. Then, of course, he announced he would be returning to Seton Hall, and I turned my attention to Miller.

I have no inside information, but having watched an irrational amount of Seton Hall games the past couple years, I feel like I have at least a general handle on the sort of player Gibbs is. He's a very unique player - not overly athletic or explosive, but crafty, adept at using screens, and a decent enough passer. He's remarkably similar to his older brother, Ashton, who torched us plenty of times at Pitt. Much like Ashton, he isn't a pure point guard, and his shot release is unorthodox, which makes it all the more remarkable that he converts at such a high clip while being so small in stature.

I've long felt that last years team was significantly better than their quality of play indicated. Part of it was obviously the inevitable growing pains of replacing four rotation players from the season prior, but even dating back to last October, when I was piecing together a preview, the one thing that stood out to me was that the pieces did not fit. I think Ollie recognized this fairly early, which is why I think - aside from Boatright - you saw less ball screens last season than you did the two years prior. He had to sort of re-invent the offense, implementing more of a spread look that never really worked for the simple fact that we didn't have any shooters. And I make the distinction between a shooter and a guy that can shoot - Hamilton and Purvis can shoot, Gibbs is a shooter.

Boatright was an elite three point shooter last season, yes, but because he was the only player who could consistently initiate the offense via the ball screen, some of his value as a floor spacer was lost - teams just swarmed ball screens and forced him to give it up to Facey or Nolan who would proceed to look confused. The offense never got to the point where you could put the ball in Purvis' hands, involve him in a ball screen, and station Boat in the corner to spread the floor. Plus, Boat, for as good as he was, was never your prototypical standstill shooter.

Gibbs - via both his passing ability and shooting - solves virtually all our problems, at least on paper. The same can be said of Miller on the defensive end. Structurally, it makes for far smoother airways - defenders aren't as free to crash down from the weak side to help on Brimah rim runs, and if you want to throw Gibbs and Hamilton into a pick and roll, that won't be easy to defend for opponents. Can't go under the screen, can't help off Hamilton.

I'm not a big fan of projecting teams as sweet sixteen or elite eight or national championship quality, because the tournament is so unpredictable that you can have a great team lose in the round of 32 and a decent team make the final four. Ultimately, though, there is a select group of maybe a dozen teams that can win the whole thing if it's in the cards. I believe that this will be one of those teams if Gibbs comes here. This team is extremely talented as it stands - the priority of the staff over the off-season was locating the one or two connective devices that enriches the overall production of the roster. We found one of them in Miller, hopefully we find another one in Gibbs. Next season is wide open in college basketball and there aren't many rosters I like better than this one.
Good thorough post! I really agree if we get Gibbs we are of the select few teams that have a chance to win it. We are definitely top 10 quality with Gibbs. Without him and any other pickup we are still good but more like top 25.

Reaction Score
Is a Gibbs transfer really possible? None of the media seem to have a sniff about it.

Reaction Score
FWIW Shon Miller and Gibbs are now following eachother on twitter, probably means nothing but still interesting.
I mean, Shonn Miller's recent follows seem to follow a pattern...that's def something (good find btw)
Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 10.50.57 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Ah got it. To me, that does not seem like a coincidence..

Reaction Score
I can't think of any reason how or why they would know each other besides the obvious....

Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99