Starting Quarterback | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Starting Quarterback

Reaction Score
Team Evers!!! Fagnano is a subpar Charlton holdover and shouldn't see light of day in this new offense.
So McDonald and Welliver have no shot for this year?? Best scenario we could have is that one of those 2 blows up and shoves the older guys aside, then we've got something.

Reaction Score
Tbf we don't know if Fagnano is subpar or not. He got hurt too quickly last season. He put up good numbers for Maine.
People keep saying this but keep in mind it was Maine. In his last year he averaged 202 yards. Maine was 2-9. He threw for a bunch of yards in a blowout loss to BC but threw for 96 with an interception against New Mexico. My thought is and has always been that he is a good FCS quarterback. But more of a backup at our level.

Reaction Score
And it wasn't good enough.’

saw plenty of QBs last year taking first snaps that lit it up. None happened to be on our team though.

We can’t have any excuses At this position - play well and better each game or next man up.

Reaction Score
People keep saying this but keep in mind it was Maine. In his last year he averaged 202 yards. Maine was 2-9. He threw for a bunch of yards in a blowout loss to BC but threw for 96 with an interception against New Mexico. My thought is and has always been that he is a good FCS quarterback. But more of a backup at our level.
Fair enough.

Reaction Score
Don’t remember protection of the QB being a major problem last season.
How many times did he stand in the pocket with both ends split and fire it long? Close to zero I think. What I remember was a lot of short quick passes. OK, add better receivers to my original post, but I am sure K-state has those too.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We need to stop spreading the lie that Fagnano was a good QB at any level. It never made sense to recruit him, unless we thought he’d only be a good locker room presence, and our last resort after multiple injuries.

He was a mediocre FCS QB that played predictably worse at the FBS level. Zion Turner was better than him.

It would tell the entire story about this coaching staff if he ever plays another snap for us. You’d be better off playing and getting the other underclassmen experience for their futures.

The three underclassmen QBs on our roster boast physical talent and potential that we haven’t seen since before Robersons injury took away his athleticism. One of those guys needs to be the opening day starter, it’s a failure if we cannot get any of them ready by game 1.

I don’t blame Fagnano at all for being pushed by incompetent leaders(Hopefully mostly Charlton), and I hope he stays and supports whoever wins the starting job by being the best teammate he can.

I’m sorry this is harsh, but people cannot pretend to be okay with being less than mediocre anymore.

Reaction Score
We need to stop spreading the lie that Fagnano was a good QB at any level. It never made sense to recruit him, unless we thought he’d only be a good locker room presence, and our last resort after multiple injuries.

He was a mediocre FCS QB that played predictably worse at the FBS level. Zion Turner was better than him.

It would tell the entire story about this coaching staff if he ever plays another snap for us. You’d be better off playing and getting the other underclassmen experience for their futures.

The three underclassmen QBs on our roster boast physical talent and potential that we haven’t seen since before Robersons injury took away his athleticism. One of those guys needs to be the opening day starter, it’s a failure if we cannot get any of them ready by game 1.

I don’t blame Fagnano at all for being pushed by incompetent leaders(Hopefully mostly Charlton), and I hope he stays and supports whoever wins the starting job by being the best teammate he can.

I’m sorry this is harsh, but people cannot pretend to be okay with being less than mediocre anymore.

I see we've come to such a clear definitive call based upon a whopping 5 quarters of football.

Reaction Score
Seems as though there are 2 schools of thought on Fagnano

He has a body of work up to and including his time at UConn and he clearly isn't good enough.

OR

He doesn't have a body of work AT the level he is playing and with higher level coaching and will require more (2 games??) of playing time to know if he has the stuff.

I hope we never get to find out about Joe because Welliver or McDonald or Evers are clearly superior. Based on nothing, I hope its McDonald!

Reaction Score

I posted something like this in another thread. I think people fixated on a couple of games, BC in particular, where he threw for a lot of yards. But in his last year at Maine he averaged around 200 yds/game. He had 298 in a blowout loss to BC but against another FBS team, New Mexico, he had 96.

I look at him as a backup. Your starter gets injured he gives you an experienced guy to hold the fort and finish the game. Maybe he plays a game while the #1 gets better or you are prepping a younger guy if it is a longer term injury. I don’t see him as a long term solution.

I guess I’m not as harsh as you, but fundamentally we agree.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I see we've come to such a clear definitive call based upon a whopping 5 quarters of football.
If you can’t tell he stinks after looking at the available stats and tape, that’s a you problem.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I posted something like this in another thread. I think people fixated on a couple of games, BC in particular, where he threw for a lot of yards. But in his last year at Maine he averaged around 200 yds/game. He had 298 in a blowout loss to BC but against another FBS team, New Mexico, he had 96.

I look at him as a backup. Your starter gets injured he gives you an experienced guy to hold the fort and finish the game. Maybe he plays a game while the #1 gets better or you are prepping a younger guy if it is a longer term injury. I don’t see him as a long term solution.

He just can’t be the game one starter. I’m fine with him as a backup, I wouldn’t expect our backup to be a world beater. But if he takes any snaps, we better pray the defense is back.

Reaction Score

I think of Matt Bolinawski

Reaction Score
Seems we’ve shored up the defense. Some returning. 3 DB in the portal.

I’m guessing that this D will give the O a run for the money. Whatever QB wins they’ll have to work hard.

Evers has really good wheels and may decide it with his speed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom