Shea to Georgia? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Shea to Georgia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Niele Ivey and Shea Ralph are the main ones I'm hearing on Twitter and on different message boards.
Watching Ivey on the sidelines during games getting in player's faces and trying to take over huddles. UGA would need a psychiatrist for the kids and a cardiologist for her on gamedays.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The State of Georgia has a lot of talent, but UGA fans don't really support anything besides football. Their basketball facilities also leave a lot to be desired. I think those three things will make it difficult to win big there.

Reaction Score
Holly Warlick, Tennessee
Coquese Washington, Penn State
Jamelle Elliott, Cincinnati (when it was the Big East)

First names that popped into my head.
Pat Summit's son.

Reaction Score
I made sure to not write "credible" or "sources" in my first post because neither has zero part in what I have read. I was simply stating what I was seeing on the 5 or 6 message boards I frequent and three tweets I read. Was not trying to claim I knew something. ;)

With that said, Ralph is young enough to stick around for UConn head coaching succession once Geno leaves. Is that something that has been discussed on the board/something that you are all interesting in seeing happen when the inevitable happens?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I made sure to not write "credible" or "sources" in my first post because neither has zero part in what I have read. I was simply stating what I was seeing on the 5 or 6 message boards I frequent and three tweets I read. Was not trying to claim I knew something. ;)

With that said, Ralph is young enough to stick around for UConn head coaching succession once Geno leaves. Is that something that has been discussed on the board/something that you are all interesting in seeing happen when the inevitable happens?
We have had a number of threads over the last few years - really started when Pat was forced to step down with her illness that we also began to contemplate the post-Geno era. Front runners in the 'tree' are JenR (Hartford HC) and Shea.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Pat Summit's son.

Louisiana Tech isn't the type of job it was 20 or 30 years ago when P5 schools didn't put a lot of money into women's basketball. Thanks to Title IX, the sport is getting the attention it deserves, at least from athletic administrators.

Reaction Score
Well, Georgia is a peach of a job. Great campus, great facilities, well-heeled athletic department, fabulous college town, hotbed of talent in-region (i.e., more than just in-state). Nothing is a guarantee of success, but I can't imagine any potential HC turning it down.
I don't know who but someone in this thread said that the Georgia facilities are not very good. They also mentioned that there wasn't a lot of support for anything there but football. I'm not familiar with what exactly what type of support the athletic director gives the women's program.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I don't know who but someone in this thread said that the Georgia facilities are not very good. They also mentioned that there wasn't a lot of support for anything there but football. I'm not familiar with what exactly what type of support the athletic director gives the women's program.

They aren't what I expect from SEC schools. I've been to a number of USC vs. UGA men's basketball games at Georgia and their arena is ancient, and not in a Cameron Indoor Stadium kind of way. They are renovating it again, but there's only so much lipstick you can put on a pig. Their attendance is also mediocre in basketball, men's and women's, even when they're good.

Reaction Score
Unlikely for Shea Ralph to Georgia.

Kenny Brooks of JMU is rumored to have interviewed for position. http://jmusports.com/coaches.aspx?path=wbball&rc=523
Also a member of Andy's staff is being considered. If Ga is smart they would consider Shea and Niele for the position.

Wonder if they'll want to hire a male to replace Andy.
I like Kenny Brooks--nice guy, good to great coach, he's done a lot with not so much. However, I think Shea Ralph to potential recruits has name recognition and the Geno aura. And there is the---what will Kenny do with a double or triple his salary to 350,000 Georgia was paying the previous coach. Kenny would do any team right, he's experienced, talented,, and nice to be around. But no push over.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Scuttlebut is that Ivey or Brooks will be announced no later than Wednesday.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I like Kenny Brooks--nice guy, good to great coach, he's done a lot with not so much. However, I think Shea Ralph to potential recruits has name recognition and the Geno aura. And there is the---what will Kenny do with a double or triple his salary to 350,000 Georgia was paying the previous coach. Kenny would do any team right, he's experienced, talented,, and nice to be around. But no push over.

Wow, Georgia was only paying Andy Landers around $350K after all those years? They're going to have to up the ante, big time, if they expect to hire a quality coach.

Reaction Score
Wow, Georgia was only paying Andy Landers around $350K after all those years? They're going to have to up the ante, big time, if they expect to hire a quality coach.

I have no idea where you got such an incorrect figure on Andy's salary, but that's not even close. It's quite ok if you dislike our program, but why the disparaging tactics?
You have an outstanding women's team to be proud of, but why the venom toward UGA?

Two questions for you:
When is the last time you've been in Stegeman Coliseum? Have you actually seen the renovations?
Have you ever been in our practice facility for men and women's basketball and gymnastics? As many have said who visited, "It is second to none."

Best wishes for your team and hope to see a strong SEC next season.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I have no idea where you got such an incorrect figure on Andy's salary, but that's not even close. It's quite ok if you dislike our program, but why the disparaging tactics?
You have an outstanding women's team to be proud of, but why the venom toward UGA?

Two questions for you:
When is the last time you've been in Stegeman Coliseum? Have you actually seen the renovations?
Have you ever been in our practice facility for men and women's basketball and gymnastics? As many have said who visited, "It is second to none."

Best wishes for your team and hope to see a strong SEC next season.

I was quoting another post that said he was making $350,000 and I did reference earlier that Stegeman was being renovated again. It doesn't change the poor attendance at Georgia for both MBB and WBB.

Reaction Score
I sat right behind him as he scouted the next team in the CAA tournament. Nice guy- family man.

But I hope Shea takes advantage of this.

Reaction Score
I was quoting another post that said he was making $350,000 and I did reference earlier that Stegeman was being renovated again. It doesn't change the poor attendance at Georgia for both MBB and WBB.

You were eager to accept and pass on message board fodder that came with no backup link or any support. Yes, and your snide remark about renovations was duly noted.
It amazes me that instead of trying to help women's sports grow, some prefer to boost their own ego by disparaging everyone else.

I'm aware that our program has slipped and yours has been on an uptick with a coach that can recruit well. We are hoping an infusion of a new coach will be the catalyst to revive our program.
We've not made a coaching change in the 36 years of our history. How about letting us get excited w/o the negative comments?
Thanks...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You were eager to accept and pass on message board fodder that came with no backup link or any support. Yes, and your snide remark about renovations was duly noted.
It amazes me that instead of trying to help women's sports grow, some prefer to boost their own ego by disparaging everyone else.

I'm aware that our program has slipped and yours has been on an uptick with a coach that can recruit well. We are hoping an infusion of a new coach will be the catalyst to revive our program.
We've not made a coaching change in the 36 years of our history. How about letting us get excited w/o the negative comments?
Thanks...
I don't think cocky was intentionally denigrating UGA - we all are lazy and often take a statement by one poster of 'fact' as being researched and then run with it.
And as far as salary numbers - Geno's coaching salary is $400,000. His pay is about $2M which includes the coaching salary and 4 times that much in speaking and promotional requirements, plus some bonuses based on performance. Easy for someone to pick up on 'coaching salary' and assume that is the total package. And these arrangements are quite common for coaches in all sports.

Reaction Score
I sat right behind him as he scouted the next team in the CAA tournament. Nice guy- family man.

But I hope Shea takes advantage of this.

The Atticus Finch tweet that was posted about Brooks has tweeted that there was no mutual interest from UGA. There is a new tweet which seems to be from scanning other boards for any rumors
to tweet.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Thanks...
I believe our USC friend expressed surprise at such a low salary. As ucMiami has said, that's probably the correct base salary before speaking and promotional fees typically paid by most athletic departments.

Welcome to the board. We all pretty much get along here and try to be civil to each other. I hope you enjoy the board.

Reaction Score
I believe our USC friend expressed surprise at such a low salary. As ucMiami has said, that's probably the correct base salary before speaking and promotional fees typically paid by most athletic departments.

Welcome to the board. We all pretty much get along here and try to be civil to each other. I hope you enjoy the board.

Thanks, I have lurked on your board for a long time since I love the women's game, and it's good to find boards that have plenty of discussion. I prefer being a fly on the wall and hoping our
sport keeps growing.

Here is a list someone posted on SEC women's basketball salaries recently. I assume it's accurate since they should be public record. In Vandy's case there was a link with Melanie's salary
which topped all of these, but I don't have it handy.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...ack-up-with-kristy-curry-dawn-staley-more.ece

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Scuttlebut is that Ivey or Brooks will be announced no later than Wednesday.

cryPleaseNo.gif

Thats the only reason I wanted ND in the ACC....

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Thanks...

I hope Georgia does have their program improve. As someone else commented, I expressed surprise that Andy could have made so little after so many years on the job. If every school treats WBB like MBB and pays their coaches accordingly then better coaches will get into WBB at all levels and the play and players will improve. If Georgia does well then there are more good games in the conference. I do stand by the fact, however, that Georgia fans don't turn out for basketball in big numbers even when their teams are good.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks, I have lurked on your board for a long time since I love the women's game, and it's good to find boards that have plenty of discussion. I prefer being a fly on the wall and hoping our
sport keeps growing.

Here is a list someone posted on SEC women's basketball salaries recently. I assume it's accurate since they should be public record. In Vandy's case there was a link with Melanie's salary
which topped all of these, but I don't have it handy.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...ack-up-with-kristy-curry-dawn-staley-more.ece
Here's an article that explains Andy Landers' salary, specifically. Nine UGA coaches sign contract extensions, Athens Online

Andy Landers, the Georgia women’s basketball coach, signed a three-year extension through the 2017 season, and his base salary was increased to $400,000 from $250,000. His annual supplemental compensation was decreased from $200,000 to $50,000, with the difference being made up in his base salary increase.

McGarity said reworking a coach’s base salary — while keeping total compensation the same — provides greater fiduciary reward for in-season and post-season achievements. Landers, who has been at Georgia since 1979, received a $45,000 achievement bonus after the Lady Bulldogs reached the 2013 Elite Eight, his contract stipulates

Reaction Score

He was one step away from the Food Stamp line!

j/k

Big time college coaching pays well but doesn't seem to be a real stable career choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom