Shea to Georgia? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shea to Georgia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does a school in a major conference hire an assistant with no head coaching experience?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Can someone fill in a couple of gaps for me. Does a university with an HC opening like Gerogia have to request permission from the assistant's school (UCONN and ND) to interview the assistants? My working assumption is that with a request for permission there is the possibility that the request could be turned down. Is that assumption correct?
Yes - and the answer is always yes. Where the answer might be 'No' is for a parallel job. Gene and Shea both asked permission when she shift from Pitt and Agnus was very gracious.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Names on Message boards are meaningless. What are the sources?
There are no sources, just Message Board wishes and chatter, the JMU HC has already interviewed. It's just UGA Fans and MB posters throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks. Shea isn't dumb by any standard, she knows what Geno's won-loss record against former assistants is.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
OK, it's a different sport but results disprove the importance of prior head coaching experience. Before he ascended to immortality at Green Bay, Vince Lombardi's only head coaching job was at a parochial high school in New Jersey. The Pittsburgh Steelers have had three coaches in 48 years, none with prior head coaching experience and they have seven Super Bowl trophies. Then there is that former assistant wcbb coach at UVa. . . .
Yeah - but you really do not have different levels in the pro game so you have a mixture of failed HCs being passed around, and successful assistants. Add in a few college coaches who are willing to take a pay cut - but the back and forth between College and Pro is a more recent phenomena than Vince's early days.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If its an assistant coach by the name of Niele Ivey you do. Not saying she's Georgia's hire as I don't know if she's been hired. The resurgence of ND happened with the arrival of Niele Ivey and her taking over recruiting responsibility. She also had help with Skylar Diggins staying home and playing for ND. She's a great recruiter and primarily responsible for coaching ND's guards usually some of the best in WBB. Unless you can hire a Head Coach from a Major WBB power, why not take a chance on a good assistant. Niele would be a great face of a program.

Not sure if Shea interviewed for the opening.

Does a school in a major conference hire an assistant with no head coaching experience?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO, No decent head coach would prevent an assistant coach from moving on to a
head coaching job.
I don't consider myself a vicious person but if I’m the head coach and I have an assistant that help me build a program, knows my strengths, my players strengths because He/She help me recruit them, knows what kids I’m thinking about recruiting, my tendencies. And a call comes in from say my main conference rival to interview my best assistant. I would have no problem listing any of the above as a reason to so no.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Are you and your AD willing to give such assistant coach a $200,000-$300,000 pay raise to keep them. If not, you have to let them go, otherwise you won't be able to hire any great assistant coaches in the future. I'm sure most assistant coaches have some type of clause in their contract that allows them to pursue higher level positions. Now if the Ass't Coach wanted to move to a lateral position, then that would be open for discussion. :)

I don't consider myself a vicious person but if I’m the head coach and I have an assistant that help me build a program, knows my strengths, my players strengths because He/She help me recruit them, knows what kids I’m thinking about recruiting, my tendencies. And a call comes in from say my main conference rival to interview my best assistant. I would have no problem listing any of the above as a reason to so no.

Reaction Score
Probably yes - if you can get one of the really good ones, because they already have the CEO experience that comes with the territory of being a college coach. Every assistant that gets a head job has two learning curves - how to recruit and coach a team, and how to run a program - hiring and firing, and managing a staff and budget.

After watching Geno do that eve

Funny! then all assistants are stuck working for you forever unless you fired them? they are not allowed to get a promotion elsewhere? that is one way of promoting loyalty!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are you and your AD willing to give such assistant coach a $200,000-$300,000 pay raise to keep them. :)
That is a faulty premise and not consistent with asking permission which was the basis of my opinion. If the increase in salary is $200K to $300K "permission" to interview would never be an issue on either side. The assistant coach would just go interview and quit the existing job if they get hired. If however there is a contract clause in place or agreement among conference teams then permissions would come into play in much the same way when a player wants to transfer they must be released from thier scholarship obligation before going to talk to another school. Also keep in mind I'm not sure what Georgia situation is but some head coaches are employees of the state which bring into play a whole different set of EEO regulations, agreements, requirements.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
After watching Geno do that eve
Funny! then all assistants are stuck working for you forever unless you fired them? they are not allowed to get a promotion elsewhere? that is one way of promoting loyalty!
No not at all. I refer you to the imortal words of Brett Favre paraphrasing "It is not my job to train my replacement" Likewise I'm not developing an assistant to become my rival/replacement. Plenty of room for loyalty in between there. Do you think Google is training thier executives so that when Yahoo or Microsoft calls they say yea no problem he'll be right over for an interview. If the ND job suddenly became available and ND called Geno to interview Shea, Marissa or CD he would probably say yes. But I would understand if he said no.

Reaction Score
No not at all. I refer you to the imortal words of Brett Favre paraphrasing "It is not my job to train my replacement" Likewise I'm not developing an assistant to become my rival/replacement. Plenty of room for loyalty in between there. Do you think Google is training thier executives so that when Yahoo or Microsoft calls they say yea no problem he'll be right over for an interview. If the ND job suddenly became available and ND called Geno to interview Shea, Marissa or CD he would probably say yes. But I would understand if he said no.

Then again, they don't ask Google, Yahoo or Microsoft when they raid their employees. The employees just have to sit in the bullpen for 3 months because of non-compete agreement in their industry which is a little different than college basketball.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly Geno once said that if any of his coaches wanted to pursue a head coaching job to make sure that it would be for a school that your allow more than one school into the tournament. Or something like that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly Geno once said that if any of his coaches wanted to pursue a head coaching job to make sure that it would be for a school that your allow more than one school into the tournament. Or something like that.
What???

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Holly Warlick, Tennessee
Coquese Washington, Penn State
Jamelle Elliott, Cincinnati (when it was the Big East)

First names that popped into my head.

Reaction Score
Holly Warlick, Tennessee
Coquese Washington, Penn State
Jamelle Elliott, Cincinnati (when it was the Big East)

First names that popped into my head.

A second congrats to you guys.

I would add to HuskyNan's above list, "Mulkey, Baylor."

We hope to see you guys next year, and eternally pray for Geno's good health and well being, but also for some kind of relief from the distance you guys have from the rest of us.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
What???
I think what Geno probably said, and SportsMike probably slightly mis-quoted was "..make sure it would be for a conference that would allow more than one school into the tournament..". In other words, take a job in a conference strong enough to warrant an at-large bid or two or three.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If its an assistant coach by the name of Niele Ivey you do. Not saying she's Georgia's hire as I don't know if she's been hired. The resurgence of ND happened with the arrival of Niele Ivey and her taking over recruiting responsibility. She also had help with Skylar Diggins staying home and playing for ND. She's a great recruiter and primarily responsible for coaching ND's guards usually some of the best in WBB. Unless you can hire a Head Coach from a Major WBB power, why not take a chance on a good assistant. Niele would be a great face of a program.

Not sure if Shea interviewed for the opening.

"Niele would be a great face of a program."

Of this there can be no dispute . . .

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Wbbfan1 said:
From a reliable source Shea did not interview for the Georgia job, she wasn't interested.

This I believe.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'd be interested to see if Shea could get the UNC job when it inevitably comes open.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Swish Appeal
But, there are some names that seem to be very plausible: Albany's Katie Abrahamson-Henderson, Duke's Joanne P. McCallie and James Madison's Kenny Brooks. While, some within in the James Madison community deny there is any mutual interest, sources tell Swish Appeal that Brooks is receptive to the Bulldogs' pitch.

There are many Duke alumni and fans who would like to see Coach P take the Georgia job (or any other job, for that matter).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Holly is a promotion from within - very different from bringing in an assistant from another program. And I think a program like Cinci that was and had been nowhere is different from a a UGA which has been mid pack to upper mud pack. (OK went to a HS head coach from a fairly similar place as Cinci.)

Obviously top assistants do get hired not infrequently - not trying to claim otherwise. I just think ADs do have to weigh the experience of being a HC v. an experience of being an Asst from a more recognized power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom