Shea to Georgia? | The Boneyard

Shea to Georgia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Niele Ivey and Shea Ralph are the main ones I'm hearing on Twitter and on different message boards.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think that would be a great gig for someone - lots of local talent and a strong athletic department and the cupboard is not bare. The program itself will always be third in pecking order behind FB and men's hoops - but start having success and I bet they could challenge for top dog in attendance.

Reaction Score
Georgia is one of the best states for girls high school basketball talent (obviously). Multiple top 20 recruits almost every year and Andy lost his ability to reel them in. Niele and Shea seem like great fits as both are from elite pedigree and are seemingly some of the best recruiters in the game or have learned from the best recruiters in the game. Georgia really needs to make a splash with this hire.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Niele Ivey and Shea Ralph are the main ones I'm hearing on Twitter and on different message boards.

Names on Message boards are meaningless. What are the sources?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Georgia is one of the best states for girls high school basketball talent (obviously). Multiple top 20 recruits almost every year and Andy lost his ability to reel them in. Niele and Shea seem like great fits as both are from elite pedigree and are seemingly some of the best recruiters in the game or have learned from the best recruiters in the game. Georgia really needs to make a splash with this hire.

I'd much rather have Ralph go to UGA than Ivey

Reaction Score
I'd much rather have Ralph go to UGA than Ivey
Shea's a natural for the job, coming from the region. Ivey seems like a good choice too. She's a great recruiter.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Unlikely for Shea Ralph to Georgia.

Kenny Brooks of JMU is rumored to have interviewed for position. http://jmusports.com/coaches.aspx?path=wbball&rc=523
Also a member of Andy's staff is being considered. If Ga is smart they would consider Shea and Niele for the position.

Wonder if they'll want to hire a male to replace Andy.

Reaction Score
Unlikely for Shea Ralph to Georgia.

Kenny Brooks of JMU is rumored to have interviewed for position. http://jmusports.com/coaches.aspx?path=wbball&rc=523
Also a member of Andy's staff is being considered. If Ga is smart they would consider Shea and Niele for the position.

Wonder if they'll want to hire a male to replace Andy.
I'm sure they want a proven head coach first and foremost. This isn't a beginner's position.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Seems to me they are just throwing names around with no credible information - nor should there be 'til the process is done.

HGN

Reaction Score
Ivey vs Shea.......It all comes down again to ND vs UConn , Part-2.

Reaction Score
I'm sure they want a proven head coach first and foremost. This isn't a beginner's position.

But the flip side of argument is without risk nothing is gained..... like UConn going out and hiring asst Geno from UVA.....

Hey I thought of solution, if they want proven head coach they can tap Tyler Summit from La Tech

Reaction Score

Experience at losing? All the winners stay put, so the best you can get is a winning HC from a minor conference. Is that better than an assistant at UCONN or ND?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Experience at losing? All the winners stay put, so the best you can get is a winning HC from a minor conference. Is that better than an assistant at UCONN or ND?
Probably yes - if you can get one of the really good ones, because they already have the CEO experience that comes with the territory of being a college coach. Every assistant that gets a head job has two learning curves - how to recruit and coach a team, and how to run a program - hiring and firing, and managing a staff and budget.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UGA is a program that might be worthy of Shea....There are not that many "REAL OPPORTUNITIES" worth leaving UCONN.
If UGA grabs one of the great mid-major coaches (Jabir for example) then that also creates another opening 'worthy' of a top flight assistant.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Speculation now at Ga is that Niele Ivey edged out Ralph and that an announcement is imminent.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Wonder if this had anything to do with Jewel leaving? Perhaps if she was really close to Niele?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

OK, it's a different sport but results disprove the importance of prior head coaching experience. Before he ascended to immortality at Green Bay, Vince Lombardi's only head coaching job was at a parochial high school in New Jersey. The Pittsburgh Steelers have had three coaches in 48 years, none with prior head coaching experience and they have seven Super Bowl trophies. Then there is that former assistant wcbb coach at UVa. . . .

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Speculation now at Ga is that Niele Ivey edged out Ralph and that an announcement is imminent.
Can someone fill in a couple of gaps for me. Does a university with an HC opening like Gerogia have to request permission from the assistant's school (UCONN and ND) to interview the assistants? My working assumption is that with a request for permission there is the possibility that the request could be turned down. Is that assumption correct?

Reaction Score
IMO, No decent head coach would prevent an assistant coach from moving on to a
head coaching job.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, Georgia is a peach of a job. Great campus, great facilities, well-heeled athletic department, fabulous college town, hotbed of talent in-region (i.e., more than just in-state). Nothing is a guarantee of success, but I can't imagine any potential HC turning it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom