SG Hamidou Diallo (UConn Offer) | Page 28 | The Boneyard

SG Hamidou Diallo (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know you, but as a fellow lawya I feel compelled to tell you that you aren't helping your case by arguing with this nitwit, counselor.

Can't help myself

PicassoDonQuixoteSancho.jpg

Reaction Score
Do people still think lawyer jokes are funny?
Maybe it's just that I'm not 70. I don't know. I don't think I've ever heard anyone younger than that use the word "shylock" unless they were talking about the Merchant of Venice. Thanks for the input, though.
Obviously you are not a fan of Get Shorty or Be Cool but for the rest of us 50 lawyer jokes in 2 minute

Reaction Score
Should I waste time reading any of these posts are they all a bunch of stupid arguments about pointless garbage hijacking another recruiting post?

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Should I waste time reading any of these posts are they all a bunch of stupid arguments about pointless garbage hijacking another recruiting post?
#Boneyarding

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just that I'm not 70. I don't know. I don't think I've ever heard anyone younger than that use the word "shylock" unless they were talking about the Merchant of Venice. Thanks for the input, though.
Let's get our insults straight. "Shylock" is a moneylender or loan shark. "Shyster" is a shady lawyer (athough some schmucks consider that a oxymoron).

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Let's get our insults straight. "Shylock" is a moneylender or loan shark. "Shyster" is a shady lawyer (athough some schmucks consider that a oxymoron).
Correct, the anti-Semitic notion someone implied is also a reach. The historical/literary context has some Jewish connotations but otherwise it's a term referring to money lending and loan sharking.

Reaction Score
Correct, the anti-Semitic notion someone implied is also a reach. The historical/literary context has some Jewish connotations but otherwise it's a term referring to money lending and loan sharking.
This thread just made me spend a bunch of time looking to see if "shyster" had anti-semitic origins. In origins, no, although people may use a word as they see fit and imbue it with their own shades of meaning. (http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/id=900005387204/Is-Shyster-AntiSemitic?slreturn=20150614200858)

I take your comment to be about the work "Shylock," here, though (since "shyster" is specific to lawyers), and the literary history of a "Shylock" doesn't have "some Jewish connotations," it has all the Jewish connotations.

Reaction Score
i have no idea why i said shylock instead of shyster.

"I'm thinking Shylock not a shylock." - Martin Weir.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Would consider "shay lawyer" redundant. An oxymoron is like "giant shrimp", "military intelligence" or "ethical lawyer".

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This thread just made me spend a bunch of time looking to see if "shyster" had anti-semitic origins. In origins, no, although people may use a word as they see fit and imbue it with their own shades of meaning. (http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/id=900005387204/Is-Shyster-AntiSemitic?slreturn=20150614200858)

I take your comment to be about the work "Shylock," here, though (since "shyster" is specific to lawyers), and the literary history of a "Shylock" doesn't have "some Jewish connotations," it has all the Jewish connotations.
As a Jewish lawyer, my 3 cents (Jewish lawyers always charge more being Shylock shysters). Shylock was a Shakesperian Jewish character meant to portray the universally detested Jew. The name became synonymous with Jews who Christians viewed as money-grubbing money handlers. The Jewish connection with money lending was the direct product of the interpretation of the New Testament passages dealing with money changers being driven from the Temple. The result for centuries in Europe was the restriction to money lending activities to Jews, not Christians, the Jews being otherwise prohibited from many cross cultural occupations and from owning land. So as money lenders, they became hated.

Shyster isn't all that much connected to Jews as is "Shylock."

Most lawyers I know don't mind lawyer jokes. They persist even among younger people, sorry Ernie, but those of us who are 70 or older understand age discrimination

Go Alterique.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
As a Jewish lawyer, my 3 cents (Jewish lawyers always charge more being Shylock shysters). Shylock was a Shakesperian Jewish character meant to portray the universally detested Jew. The name became synonymous with Jews who Christians viewed as money-grubbing money handlers. The Jewish connection with money lending was the direct product of the interpretation of the New Testament passages dealing with money changers being driven from the Temple. The result for centuries in Europe was the restriction to money lending activities to Jews, not Christians, the Jews being otherwise prohibited from many cross cultural occupations and from owning land. So as money lenders, they became hated..

But other than that, Shylock isn't anti-semitic, right? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
As a Jewish lawyer, my 3 cents (Jewish lawyers always charge more being Shylock shysters). Shylock was a Shakesperian Jewish character meant to portray the universally detested Jew. The name became synonymous with Jews who Christians viewed as money-grubbing money handlers. The Jewish connection with money lending was the direct product of the interpretation of the New Testament passages dealing with money changers being driven from the Temple. The result for centuries in Europe was the restriction to money lending activities to Jews, not Christians, the Jews being otherwise prohibited from many cross cultural occupations and from owning land. So as money lenders, they became hated.

Shyster isn't all that much connected to Jews as is "Shylock."

Most lawyers I know don't mind lawyer jokes. They persist even among younger people, sorry Ernie, but those of us who are 70 or older understand age discrimination

Go Alterique.
Right. Just to be clear, I know the history, which is why I said it has all the connotations--calling someone a "Shylock" is so obviously racist as to feel particularly old-timey.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The world would be a better place if there weren't lawyers, psychologists, psychiatrists, theologians, accountants, politicians, journalists, soldiers ..........................................

Correct that! If the world was a better place there wouldn't be lawyers, psychologists, psychiatrists, theologians, accountants, politicians, journalists, soldiers .....................................

This thread proves both points.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You should realize by now that:
1) You just hijacked the thread
b) These threads are as much about tangential hijacking as they are about pertinent information
5) There is a pinned thread at the beginning of this forum that is exclusively about recruiting and recruits. Either you have chosen to ignore that thread or you are ignorant that it exists. Enlightened people choose to pretend it doesn't exist in order to contribute to chaos. Those who believe chaos is endemic to the universe are patently incorrect. Chaos was a theory until the Boneyard was created. Now it is a fact. I suspect you are an enlightened individual who is choosing to change a theory into a fact.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The world would be a better place if there weren't lawyers, psychologists, psychiatrists, theologians, accountants, politicians, journalists, soldiers .......

Correct that! If the world was a better place there wouldn't be lawyers, psychologists, psychiatrists, theologians, accountants, politicians, journalists, soldiers .......

This thread proves both points.

Right. But I d have to be lots better at farming than I am. But if none of those other occupations existed, there might be no basketball either, or at least no BY because the arts of war and diplomacy would be missing as training grounds. The world without the Cesspool or Fishy would be unimaginable.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Right. Just to be clear, I know the history, which is why I said it has all the connotations--calling someone a "Shylock" is so obviously racist as to feel particularly old-timey.
I know that you know. I just had the feeling that some others had no idea who Shakespeare was or that they know Venice only as a town in California that specialized in, um, "medical" weed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom