Selection Monday | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Selection Monday

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Whoops - the game I try never to remember - the absolutely worst half of basketball Uconn has ever played. The only time they played a game and after the half they and Stanford agreed to just play to fifty - first team there wins and lets all go home.

Oh golly, just realized that was played in the ... wait for it .... Alamodome!!! this is the 11th anniversary. Maybe we better not meet in the final - it could set WCBB back another decade!
I'd prefer to view it as taking a mulligan so both teams can show what wcbb is capable of! And boy would I love to have that rematch!

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I just don't see how UConn has the toughest bracket.

They have beaten TN before the defense upgrade and Paige had an injury during the game.

Iowa really doesnt play defense. Gets some fouls on Czinano and deny Clark and that game is over. The other 3 players they could put on the court just are barely BE team skilled.

Baylor is a challenge but I think a national championship should be a challenge. Baylor this year is not Baylor of the past.

In addition, Florida Gold Coast could actually take out a bunch of them and we never even see these teams folks are talking about. I'm not sure any of the other brackets have a potential buster like this team.

I just don't think we husky fans honor our team when we complain about the bracket. Yes the teams in our bracket have stars but I also think the BE has trained our team to handle a team with a star from a defensive standpoint to shut that player down and force the rest to try and beat UConn. That is a signature UConn strategy.
UConn has what I think is the most dangerous Elite 8 match up for it (I think Baylor is a worse match up for the Huskies than Maryland even though Maryland is overall scarier in my mind.) and the committee clearly offset that in setting the final four, because I'd much rather face NC State (if they even get there) than South Carolina or Maryland. So I'd say it somewhat balances out, because Louisville pretty clearly seems like the least dangerous 2 seed. If anyone should be complain, it's South Carolina - I think their quarter is the most loaded.

Reaction Score

They have beaten TN before the defense upgrade and Paige had an injury during the game.

Iowa really doesnt play defense. Gets some fouls on Czinano and deny Clark and that game is over. The other 3 players they could put on the court just are barely BE team skilled.

Baylor is a challenge but I think a national championship should be a challenge. Baylor this year is not Baylor of the past.

In addition, Florida Gold Coast could actually take out a bunch of them and we never even see these teams folks are talking about. I'm not sure any of the other brackets have a potential buster like this team.

I just don't think we husky fans honor our team when we complain about the bracket. Yes the teams in our bracket have stars but I also think the BE has trained our team to handle a team with a star from a defensive standpoint to shut that player down and force the rest to try and beat UConn. That is a signature UConn strategy.

Agreed... as Geno said during his Bracket Reaction presser... "the bracket is tough...they all are... they are supposed to be... winning a National Championship is not easy"... OR words to that effect.

Go Huskies

Reaction Score

Well said and totally agree!

Reaction Score
That's fine. I was not complaining or making excuses for Uconn. Don't understand why the rest of the comment was necessary. Shutting down one player and letting the rest of the team beat you is not exactly a secret strategy. Just for my info, when did Uconn employ this strategy?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree with those above - the tournament for a top two seed line team, is really three warm-up games, and three tough games. If you can't get out of the sweet sixteen game easily, then you weren't going to win anything anyway, however wacky the committee has put together the brackets. If you are scared of the 13-20 ranked teams (4 and 5 seeds) who are most likely to be the S16 opponent for a 1 seed than you don't belong as a 1 seed. If a two seed is worried about the 9-12 or 21-24 seeds then they don't have a chance against in the E8.

And so forget everyone else in the bracket - look at those three games in 'chalk' and they are going to be tough in every bracket. Louisville may have a lesser resume than NC St, but that is a very experienced squad with a very dangerous coach who has a history of messing up brackets in the tournament and beating 1 seeds. (Hello Baylor Prof!) Baylor, TA&M and Maryland all look plenty dangerous. And none of the 1 seeds have unblemished records.

I think the committee had an easy job at the top of the brackets - 8 teams separated from the rest and none of them really separated from each other this year. If we had Uconn/Baylor and Uconn/Louisville specifically, and a bunch of other meaningful OOC games we would have a lot more information and maybe some more separation. If any of the Pac had played a serious OOC we would have more information. But none of that happened and we have what we have. A bunch of teams with very little in the way of common meaningful opponents in a fractured season.

The biggest issues I think people have with the brackets is further down the seeding. Not hearing anyone clamor that some 3 seed should have jumped into the two seed line, or that some 5 seed should have been a 4 seed. And with no 'home games' and no regional bias, there isn't a lot else to complain about.

Reaction Score
Agreed... as Geno said during his Bracket Reaction presser... "the bracket is tough...they all are... they are supposed to be... winning a National Championship is not easy
What else is he going to say? He also said Uconn beat some great teams in the Big East tournament. Again, what else is he going to say?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That's fine. I was not complaining or making excuses for Uconn. Don't understand why the rest of the comment was necessary. Shutting down one player and letting the rest of the team beat you is not exactly a secret strategy. Just for my info, when did Uconn employ this strategy?
In regular/ conf tournament time - most recently against all three opponents in the BE tournament. In NCAAs - Angel, McBride, etc. They have also employed the opposite - let the big dog go off and shut down everyone else.

Reaction Score
Paige got her injury with like 2 minutes left and was out for :30 seconds. A non-factor.

Reaction Score
forget everyone else in the bracket
Yes! In the last 25 years only 26 teams seeded 8-13 have made it to the final 16. None have made it from 14-16. The stats would be even worse, but lucky seed 11 has made it through 11 times, while 8,9&10 only 2 time each.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What else is he going to say? He also said Uconn beat some great teams in the Big East tournament. Again, what else is he going to say?
Uh... Sorry(???)...
Yes, Geno gave the "right answer"... the Reporter's question was worded in such a manner as to potentially get a response that UCONN got the bad draw...that others have much easier brackets, blah, blah... BUT, Geno's answer was the right way to go about it... AND, IMHO, it's the right approach any Coach should take.... Nothing about winning a Championship...let alone a NCAA National Championship is, or should be, easy!

Reaction Score
let the big dog go off and shut down everyone else.
Yes, that is the strategy that came to my mind also. Actually, most times don't even need to shut off 4. In 2nd half of Iowa-MD, MD kept (pretty well) Czinano from getting the ball. This reduced Clarks best passing & scoring option. They then pushed the 3 point shooters out and game over. End score was closer because Iowa bench had a nice run in last few minutes.

Reaction Score
Just show up and they beat the undisciplined Syracuse squad
UConn should win running away but I expect it to be a little close to start, The Orange have Mangakahia who is an experienced point guard, and Cardoso is pretty light on her feet for a 6’7 player.

Reaction Score
If Virginia Tech can get by Marquette, they could produce some problems for Baylor in the Round of 32, especially if Baylor continues to turn the ball over. You've got Kitley inside and Sheppard, Amoore, and King who can shoot the THREE at a nearly 40% clip.
Could be one of the more intriguing second round matchups.
Marquette can also cause problems for a turnover prone Baylor team. Not sure they can win, but that’s what the games are for.

Reaction Score
The committee tries to select the best available teams for the at-large pool.

Given the level of competition in some conferences, it is certainly feasible for a team with a sub-.500 conference record to be one of the 32 (or 33, this year) best available at-large teams.

If you think a team with a sub-.500 conference record should be automatically ineligible, then your issue is not with tonight's selection decisions; it's with the rules adopted well in advance for the sport. Maybe try writing your congresspeople.
I have to dispute the assumption that the level of competition is so high in all of the P5 conferences. Seems to me the selection committee is of the same view as you though , to the detriment of teams outside of the P5. I did not see the level of competition, top to bottom, in the Big 12 or B1G to be very strong. Can only wonder if the seeds for say, USF or Marquette would have been higher if they were in one of these conferences. I believe yes.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have to dispute the assumption that the level of competition is so high in all of the P5 conferences. Seems to me the selection committee is of the same view as you though , to the detriment of teams outside of the P5. I did not see the level of competition, top to bottom, in the Big 12 or B1G to be very strong. Can only wonder if the seeds for say, USF or Marquette would have been higher if they were in one of these conferences. I believe yes.
I never said it's "so high in all of the P5 conferences." Anyone who's seen my posting history knows I don't hold back in criticizing the irrational idolatry of the "poser 5" as I have started calling them. But I'm not in favor of some arbitrary threshold of a .500 record in conference play.

The Big 12 did not have a good year at all, really, and notice that the team with the worst conference record to get an at-large bid this year was 11-7. I'm not as down on the Big Ten as some folks, however, and I don't see many people arguing that any of their at-large teams should've been left home -- including Michigan State, which was really the only remotely close call.

You can believe what you want but there's really no evidence to support your claim. South Florida just barely beat Mississippi State at home and got creamed at Houston. Both of those teams missed the tournament. Marquette also lost on its home court to Milwaukee, another non-tournament team. The seeds for both USF and Marquette are pretty darn reasonable considering both of their best wins came over bubble teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wish Marquette was in a different bracket to show that the Big East is not as easy as the neigh sayers are trying to convince everyone otherwise. I know that if two teams from the same conference is in the same bracket they are not supposed to have to play in the early games but come on - 2 teams, 4 brackets, and it wasn't possible to separate them? Not fair in any way to Marquette who could wind up having to play and lose to UConn 4 times in the same season!

Reaction Score
Paige got her injury with like 2 minutes left and was out for :30 seconds. A non-factor.
I don't agree. At that point, UConn was starting to exert control and up by 9 and growing when Paige got hurt. She went out for awhile and TN regained some momentum before Paige came back and ended it. One could argue that 6 pt win could have easily been 12-15 if the UConn momentum had continued and no Paige injury.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I wish Marquette was in a different bracket to show that the Big East is not as easy as the neigh sayers are trying to convince everyone otherwise. I know that if two teams from the same conference is in the same bracket they are not supposed to have to play in the early games but come on - 2 teams, 4 brackets, and it wasn't possible to separate them? Not fair in any way to Marquette who could wind up having to play and lose to UConn 4 times in the same season!
Marquette wouldn't have to play UConn until the Elite 8. I'd say beating Baylor would suffice as a statement making win.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Marquette could have to beat a 7, 2, and 3 seed just to get to UConn. The probability of that happening is near 0.

A 10 seed has made the sweet 16, three times in 34 years (9%).
It made the E8, zero of those times.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Seriously? Marquette could have to beat a 7, 2, and 3 seed just to get to UConn. The probability of that happening is near 0.

A 10 seed has made the sweet 16, three times in 34 years (9%).
It made the E8, zero of those times.
Not that it detracts from your larger point, but wasn't Oregon a 10 seed in 2017 when they made the Elite 8?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom