Selection Monday | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Selection Monday

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The problem with the .500 in conference record is that, like the teams themselves, conference aren't all equal, sometimes dramatically so. So a team that finishes a game below .500 in Conference A could be superior to a team that finishes 3 games above .500 in Conference B. The arbitrariness of the standard means the team from Conf. A cannot be in the field while the team from Conf. B might be in. In fact, the team from Conf. B could make the tournament specifically because the Conf. A team was excluded. While it might be silly to include teams that didn't win at least half its conference games, it would be even sillier to exclude them on that criteria alone.
I am talking about excluding teams with much better records. And since the teams I mentioned have no major ooc wins this year or even a recent historical resume. My opinion is as valid as yours.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Harper gets that distinction by coaching 1 -- count 'em -- 1 NCAAT game with NC State, with players left to her by the late Kay Yow. We lost to UCLA (coached at the time by Nikki Caldwell) in the first round.

Well I watch the show on ESPNU and they basically did the same thing. The did a long story on DiDi injury and rehab and inteviewed Georga coach but nothing else. Did a little bit on Baylor but no break downs on any matchups. They said their would be a program tomorrow for that, but lets wait and see. They really were not prepared to do any breakdowns today.

I don't care if it isn't politically correct and I am sure there are qualified women out there but the people ESPN hires to do these programs have a hard time staying on topic. This is expecially true when the announce games. They are not good representatives of women in sports in the field of sports reporting. Probably because they hire ex players and coaches that have very little announcing talent. This is ironic because women have complained for years about the good ole boy system that kept them as ousiders. Well what do they do? They establish their own good ol girl system of insiders that keeps real sports announcers and analysts on the outs.

There are a number of reasons that there is more parity in womens basketball. One of them is that the level of coaching has improved via more competition. In the past there were just a few good coaches and the rest were ex players who thought having played was enough. The problem was that the game had advanced so much and the athletes were so much better that the system of coaching most of those players studied under and learned from was obsolite. There were many schools who would not even consider hiring a male coach. Good ole girl system in practice.
I think two things - The best women that networks develop in sports seem to be constantly moved into (or choose to move into) the bigger money sports. The networks do it partly to improve their image of being a progressive employer, and the employees do it because the pay is better. It will continue to be an issue as long as the men's sports carry better ratings and more cash. Golf and Tennis which are pretty close to equal have I think the best and comparable quality reporters/analysts between the genders.

The biggest change in coaching that has occurred is money - at the D1 level very few coaches were making a primary breadwinner living wage forty years ago. When Geno started I have no idea what his wage was, but he was certainly not on the gravy train. That has changed big time and assistant coaches in the big programs are making good money. That changes who can actually take coaching jobs, and who can make a career choice to stay coaching when they marry and have kids.

When Geno started there weren't many men in the profession and as the money increased there was some resentment that suddenly men were applying for jobs they never wanted before. I think it was never a really big deal, but it was real and understandable seeing as no one was looking to hire women in the men's sports. I think the worst of it has disappeared and the 'old guard' is now Geno and Tara and Gary, and CViv.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
UConn-NCSt
Stanford-SC
Most important for me was preserving the possibility that Geno and Tara can meet in the finals. In a season in which they both broke Pat's record, and with both teams coming back after some down seasons, that would be the ideal way to end the season, IMHO. Now just need Kim and Dawn to btfu. :D

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Baylor 1994. In almost 20 years of being a guest on this Board I've tried to keep intra-university banter on our own Board. See me as SSadler on Sic'em365 and let's talk, leaving these gracious fans without us cluttering their Board. Just a suggestion.
Prof - a little banter can be fun. Always enjoy having Baylor and other school's fans here - with the creation of the General WCBB board on the boneyard and all the general WCBB threads being moved there, unfortunately we see them less on the Uconn specific board. If we meet up in the E8 it should be a great game!

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Q1 Easily
Q2 They don’t have to as Tenn will beat them...
arlene dickinson no GIF by CBC

Reaction Score
As they should. They should bring it with all they got.

They are a 3-point shooting team, averaging more than 10 made 3's per game. (@triaddukefan has dubbed them FGCU-North.) That at least gives them a wild puncher's chance.
10 3's equal 30 points, Final score 90-30 :)

Reaction Score
I think we have the toughest bracket star player wise . If we can come out this region I like our chances to win the title. The cuse will be a tough out if we get them2nd rd
Your joking right ?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Most important for me was preserving the possibility that Geno and Tara can meet in the finals. In a season in which they both broke Pat's record, and with both teams coming back after some down seasons, that would be the ideal way to end the season, IMHO. Now just need Kim and Dawn to btfu. :D
We have never met in the finals - been at the same FFs but if we met it was in the semis.

That would be cool and hadn't thought about the passing Pat sidebar to a possible meeting.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
We have never met in the finals - been at the same FFs but if we met it was in the semis.

That would be cool and hadn't thought about the passing Pat sidebar to a possible meeting.
UConn and Stanford met at least once in the finals -- either 2009 or 2010. That was the game where UConn's offense just wasn't working, and the halftime score was 20-12 in favor of Stanford. UConn eventually won (I believe by 53-47), holding Jayne Appel to zero points.

Reaction Score
Uconn beat Stanford in San Antonio in 2010, 53 to 47. Poor first half, like 15 points per side

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
UConn and Stanford met at least once in the finals -- either 2009 or 2010. That was the game where UConn's offense just wasn't working, and the halftime score was 20-12 in favor of Stanford. UConn eventually won (I believe by 53-47), holding Jayne Appel to zero points.
Jayne Appel's broken foot held her to zero points. She was practically hobbling by the end. Man did that ending hurt my soul.

Reaction Score
Is this a spoof? Please tell me it's a spoof.

Wake beat Maryland.
Wazzu beat UCLA and Arizona.

DePaul beat Kentucky. Is that the win you're thinking of?
Wake did not beat Maryland

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

It was amusing that one of the reporters told her that Evina had described her playing style as "like a little gnat". That was a new English word for Nika, so of course she asked, "What's a gnat?" She was told that it was like a little fly, and she seemed embarrassed by that caricature.

Apparently she also had to have someone explain to her what a bracket is.

Despite these understandable gaps in knowledge for someone who is not North American, I continue to be impressed with her English, including even the fine points of grammar in some cases. Early in this interview, she first said "between us" (referring to the team) and then corrected herself to say "among us". She remembered how to distinguish "between" and "among" somewhere in her English lessons. I bet she is a good student.

Reaction Score
Baylor 1994. In almost 20 years of being a guest on this Board I've tried to keep intra-university banter on our own Board. See me as SSadler on Sic'em365 and let's talk, leaving these gracious fans without us cluttering their Board. Just a suggestion.
No thanks ?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Stanford and UConn played in the 2010 championship game.
Jayne Appel's broken foot held her to zero points. She was practically hobbling by the end. Man did that ending hurt my soul.
Whoops - the game I try never to remember - the absolutely worst half of basketball Uconn has ever played. The only time they played a game and after the half they and Stanford agreed to just play to fifty - first team there wins and lets all go home.

Oh golly, just realized that was played in the ... wait for it .... Alamodome!!! this is the 11th anniversary. Maybe we better not meet in the final - it could set WCBB back another decade!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom