Selection Monday | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Selection Monday

Reaction Score
If Virginia Tech can get by Marquette, they could produce some problems for Baylor in the Round of 32, especially if Baylor continues to turn the ball over. You've got Kitley inside and Sheppard, Amoore, and King who can shoot the THREE at a nearly 40% clip.
Could be one of the more intriguing second round matchups.
Love the Aussie, Amoore.....

Reaction Score
Not that it detracts from your larger point, but wasn't Oregon a 10 seed in 2017 when they made the Elite 8?

I miss the days of 11 Seed Gonzaga wrecking brackets.

Reaction Score
For me this was ESPN’s worst selection show ever. Hard to watch.
Whoever produced and planned this should really go back to the drawing board for the tournament segments, etc. Maria Taylor looked so uninterested in being there. I’ve always liked her, but she really sucked yesterday. JMHO.
Women's tournament will soon be gone- out of business

Reaction Score
Not that it detracts from your larger point, but wasn't Oregon a 10 seed in 2017 when they made the Elite 8?
Dang, relied on wikipedia which said 3, and then I found the 3 (91, 01, 07) and stopped looking!

You are correct!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Not according to ESPN, UConn is rated 3rd and Baylor 14th in Defense, UConn is rated 1st and Baylor 3rd in Scoring Margin, UConn 7th and Baylor 27th in Blocks, UConn rated 29th while Baylor misses the Top 50 in Steals. While on Offense UConn is 6th and Baylor 7th and FG Pct UConn is 2nd and Baylor 5th. The only two categories that Baylor leads UConn is Opponents FG Pct 1 to 5 and Rebounding Margin 1 to 8. You also might want to consider that UConn only played one team rated by Massey higher than 200 and that was the UMass-Lowell #253, while Baylor played 4 teams rated higher, Southern #232, Cent Ark #262, NcNeese St #347, and Northwestern St #355.

Reaction Score
Paige was missing shots she usually makes. To me, I think she just had an off night; happens to every player. Maybe Tennessee can take some credit, maybe she literally just had some bad luck. Now that it’s showtime I really am thinking she’ll show up and turn it on when it matters, the way all great players do. Time will only tell

Reaction Score
No it was not a false positive. A second test was done to confirm to be sure from what I've read.
Didn’t he test negative twice afterwards? If that is true, how can the possibility of a false positive be dismissed?

Reaction Score
Didn’t he test negative twice afterwards? If that is true, how can the possibility of a false positive be dismissed?
I didn't hear about that part so I can't answer the question. At the same time, it's also been said that his viral loads are low so who really knows.

Personally, it's better he do the isolation now and get it out of the way. It's not worth risking a positive test while there and the team being removed from the tournament with no opportunity to get back in.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
This tournament is definitely more P5 heavy, but that was the season we had. OOC games were canceled or limited, so those other teams had a tough time beefing up their schedule strength and finding quality win opportunities.
It is always P5 promoting, Actually to the detriment of the sport.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I didn't hear about that part so I can't answer the question. At the same time, it's also been said that his viral loads are low so who really knows.

Personally, it's better he do the isolation now and get it out of the way. It's not worth risking a positive test while there and the team being removed from the tournament with no opportunity to get back in.
Didn't he receive the vaccine?

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Yes, it was. Gonzaga also made the Elite 8 as an 11 seed in 2011. I believe that Kelly Graves is the only coach who had led a double digit seed that far in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Baylor was the best defensive team two seasons ago. They are far from the best defensive team this season. One has to consider who they play against. When you play in a weak league your numbers will be askew. Will see how well the Big 12 will do in the tournament. Baylor might be a really good team, but they have not played any really top teams. There defensive reputation was built on Brown and Cox protecting the middle. Di Di is a good defender but the rest still have a lot to prove against top competition.

Reaction Score
Didn't he receive the vaccine?
This part I can answer because it was talked about on ESPN. Yes he did. His last dose was taken March 10, however it takes about 10 days for the vaccine to become fully effective.

Quote from the ESPN article: Auriemma, who turns 67 on March 23, said he got the first dose of the vaccine a month ago, and the second dose last Wednesday. According to CDC guidelines, he remains nine days shy of becoming fully vaccinated.

Reaction Score
It is always P5 promoting, Actually to the detriment of the sport.
I agree actually. This year I can understand it more for the reasons I stated, but yeah, I wish there were more non-P5 teams that got more respect and opportunity. Although "a loss is a loss", some of those teams may lose but play top 25 teams really close...those are the ones you want in the tournament!

Reaction Score
Seriously? Marquette could have to beat a 7, 2, and 3 seed just to get to UConn. The probability of that happening is near 0.

A 10 seed has made the sweet 16, three times in 34 years (9%).
It made the E8, zero of those times.
While I totally agree with you the the chance of it happening is near 0 that does not alter my point. Things like this hurt the non P5 and can easily be avoided with a one spot switch. Especially this year where the true strength of every conference is not really known. We shall see how it holds in the tourney. Just FYI Geno's comments I saw today during his breakfast meeting were very clear that he saw the Big East as much harder than the AAC overall. I tend to believe him on things like that.

Reaction Score
. Things like this hurt the non P5 and can easily be avoided with a one spot switch. Especially this

I fail to see how a matchup that doesn’t happen hurts anyone.
For several years we had the same argument about USF. Folks bemoaned then being in UConns bracket “it’s so unfair.” They never got within 2 games of a possible UConn matchup.

the committee has a lot of things to consider. I don’t know that highly unlikely combos in the 4th round should be one of them.

Reaction Score
I fail to see how a matchup that doesn’t happen hurts anyone.
For several years we had the same argument about USF. Folks bemoaned then being in UConns bracket “it’s so unfair.” They never got within 2 games of a possible UConn matchup.

the committee has a lot of things to consider. I don’t know that highly unlikely combos in the 4th round should be one of them.
I respect and understand your position on this but we shall disagree. To me if something seems wrong and can be avoided it does not become less wrong if it happens to not occur.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The ONLY reason why they led in FG percentage is because of those four teams Southern, Cent Ark, McNeese, and Northwestern St had a combined average of 24.65%, with Northwestern St shooting 13.5% and Central Arkansas shooting 19.7%. When you play cupcakes like that it kind of helps in the FG percentage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom