SDSU officially leaving MWC… first domino to fall! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

SDSU officially leaving MWC… first domino to fall!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fire This Is Fine GIF by MOODMAN

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

This is such a mess and I love watching it. The saddest part is that I know it will somehow end with SDSU ending up in a P5 conference (is that even a thing anymore?). Then you look at us who have done nothing like this disaster and have been stuck in CR hell forever. Must be nice to be able to completely implode, being a national laughingstock, and still find a home that makes you almost 8x as much as you currently make each year. I hope they get stuck joining the AAC or worse, C-USA!!

Reaction Score

This is such a mess and I love watching it. The saddest part is that I know it will somehow end with SDSU ending up in a P5 conference (is that even a thing anymore?). Then you look at us who have done nothing like this disaster and have been stuck in CR hell forever. Must be nice to be able to completely implode, being a national laughingstock, and still find a home that makes you almost 8x as much as you currently make each year. I hope they get stuck joining the AAC or worse, C-USA!!
Worst comes to worst they say OK, go indie, and yes, get picked up by whatever conferences are left within a year or two. At least it knows it saved $17 million in exit fees. Schedule UConn, UMass, Army, NMSU.

Reaction Score

Yeah really. Appears UConn is doing things the right way and things look fairly positive then what often happens, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Reaction Score
MWC is p*ssing into the wind out of spite. SDSU is their best team and the conference can't afford to boot them. When SDSU finally leaves, the conference will still get the money.

Reaction Score
MWC is p*ssing into the wind out of spite. SDSU is their best team and the conference can't afford to boot them. When SDSU finally leaves, the conference will still get the money.
Don't disagree with your overall point, but Boise State has their own deal within the MW. They're the best program in that league by a wide margin. Overall factors may not make them as attractive to other conferences but success matters.

Reaction Score
Worst comes to worst they say OK, go indie, and yes, get picked up by whatever conferences are left within a year or two. At least it knows it saved $17 million in exit fees. Schedule UConn, UMass, Army, NMSU.
That's the best route. UCONN can help them out with some football and basketball schedule if needed :D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, at this point I think we are the girl you invite to the prom as the backup.
Beats the girl that doesn't make the list at all, I guess.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The MWC is being really childish and stupid. It doesn’t do the league any good to boot out a school in the biggest market in the league that is coming off a championship game appearance. It is also better for the league to have SDSU pay $34 million instead of $17 million when SDSU does finally leave.

Reaction Score
The MWC is being really childish and stupid. It doesn’t do the league any good to boot out a school in the biggest market in the league that is coming off a championship game appearance. It is also better for the league to have SDSU pay $34 million instead of $17 million when SDSU does finally leave.
That might all be true, but it would undermine the conference which is not an entity into itself - it is made up of other schools that I am sure are pissed that a member (for the second time) is wanting/threatening to leave for supposed greener pastures. It'd be like your significant other telling you it might be over and then saying never-ending. Twice. Tell me you wouldn't stand up for yourself?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If the MWC kicks out SDSU, do they (the MWC) keep their NCAA credits, or whatever they are for their NCAA Tourney performance? I know that if SDSU left they would not get it, not sure if it's different if the school is removed by the league

Reaction Score
Yes, because the tv deal is being held up as they discuss AAU standing, USA Today rankings, and PHD’s on staff at each school.

Reaction Score

-> Though SDSU once believed the Pac-12 and Big 12 were interested in adding it to their respective conferences, the Big 12 has little interest in bringing SDSU aboard, sources indicated to CBS Sports this week. This despite Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark's stated intent to expand his league to the West Coast.

Rather, the Big 12's current expansion focus continues to be on UConn and any Pac-12 schools that may be shaken loose once it has a media rights deal to pitch to its membership. <-

Reaction Score
Surprise…

Assisted access <<

-> SDSU will pay the Mountain West’s legal fees spurred by a monthlong letter exchange that went from cordial to contentious. The university also will agree in writing not to retroactively use President Adela de la Torre’s controversially-worded June 13 letter to invoke a smaller exit fee should it receive an invitation from the Pac-12 or another conference before next year.

Another way to look at it:

The Mountain West will send SDSU the $6.6 million distribution share for 2022-23 that it was withholding as the first installment of the exit fee, less legal expenses that are believed to be under $100,000. And SDSU will remain in the conference for 2023-24 and likely 2024-25 unless it pays the doubled exit fee from leaving with less than 12 months’ notice. <-

-> SDSU’s apparent decision to accept the Mountain West’s terms — while insisting it had never formally left the conference — can be viewed as an admission that a Pac-12 invitation might not be coming anytime soon. One possible strategy was to drag out a lawsuit contesting the Mountain West’s reinstatement conditions in hopes of buying time for the Pac-12 to complete a media rights deal and vote on expansion. <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom