SDSU officially leaving MWC… first domino to fall! | The Boneyard

SDSU officially leaving MWC… first domino to fall!

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It’s just been announced that San Diego State is leaving for the MWC! No P5 invite yet, but I’m thinking the next round of musical chairs is about to start… AND WE ARE GOING TO GET A SEAT! Let’s go Big12!

Reaction Score
It’s just been announced that San Diego State is leaving for the MWC! No P5 invite yet, but I’m thinking the next round of musical chairs is about to start… AND WE ARE GOING TO GET A SEAT! Let’s go Big12!

More than likely SDSU is very confident that a PAC12 offer is on the way.

Reaction Score
Louisville did the same with the Big East when the Big East was falling apart to save on exit fees.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You’ve misunderstood.

What San Diego State did was request a month’s extension from the elevator increase in the conference exit fee. On July 1st, the exit fee increases by $16M and SDSU wants to avoid that if possible.

The conference played hard ball and basically accepted the request as a formal notification that SDSU was leaving. SDSU wrote back and said, no, we really just want the extension. (There’s no reason for the conference to grant it.)

Basically, it Is all posturing. Both of them have stuck their necks out - if the conference insists that this is SDSU’s official withdrawal and they get a Pac12 invite in mid-July, SDSU will claim that the conference has been notified and they own $16M less. If no bid arrives, in theory, the conference could say that SDSU has to leave anyway….

But in reality, none of these things will happen. If SDSU gets a bid after June 30th, they will just pay what they have to pay and go.

Reaction Score
It’s just like the dance of the seven veils. Lots of anticipatory teasing, but in the end it’s all about the money.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I suspect something is going to happen and that SDSU and SMU will be moving to the Pac12.
Would that be bad or good for UConn?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The general rule of realignment is that whatever happens in realignment is usually the worst thing that could happen for UConn in realignment.

I’m not sure that would mean anything, though.
In this case, SDSU and SMU to the PAC12 to replace Colorado and Arizona to the Big12

Reaction Score
I suspect something is going to happen and that SDSU and SMU will be moving to the Pac12.
Yep....as Calhoun used to say "It's been written about, it's been talked about !"....odd # schools could be good for Uconn even #'s bad bad bad.

Reaction Score
It’s just like the dance of the seven veils. Lots of anticipatory teasing, but in the end it’s all about the money.
Whether it’s PAC or Big 12, it is a lot more money. Reckon MWC is paid less than AAC.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
At this point, if SDSU and SMU aren’t taken by the PAC-12, it would be a crushing loss for both schools. IMHO, SDSU is 100% sure they’ll get an invite. SMU is 80% sure.

Reaction Score
Would that be bad or good for UConn?
Review Rule 1 of Conference Realignment, then decide for yourself.

Actually, I doubt that it means anything yet. The speculation is that they would go to the Pac12, but they could also go to the B12.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Beyond SDSU and SMU, the Pac would have to start looking at like... UNLV and uh... Air Force? New Mexico? CSU? It's slim pickings out west.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Beyond SDSU and SMU, the Pac would have to start looking at like... UNLV and uh... Air Force? New Mexico? CSU? It's slim pickings out west.
Fresno

Reaction Score

The fact that SMU is #2 on their list shows that it is indeed slim pickings. Tough to say who 3-4 would eventually be but I guess you keep adding states.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fact that SMU is #2 on their list shows that it is indeed slim pickings. Tough to say who 3-4 would eventually be but I guess you keep adding states.
Colorado State, Boise

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom