Sarah Strong is a Husky! (Part 2) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sarah Strong is a Husky! (Part 2)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So glad we landed her. Time will tell, but there are #1's, and then there are #1's. Meaning different levels of #1 recruits.

I think we can all acknowledge that Dee, Maya, Stewie, and Paige are the holy grail of #1 recruits. Tina is #1A IMHO (was NPOY her senior season). KML had a tremendous college career. Sue probably should have been a #1 recruit...

I'm not going to try to rank all the #1 recruits we've gotten, but while all of them were at least really good, only a handful were/are great.

Having said that, I'm over the moon. Love everything I've read about the kid. Love that she took her time. Love that she was high on UConn from the start. Love that Geno and the staff were patient with her. Love the comments about Geno and Morgan telling her areas they thought she could improve while still in HS (while other coaches just told her how great she is).

I'm praying that UConn is 100% healthy next season. I think at least 1 or 2 injured players won't be ready to go out the gate (maybe Azzi?), but the fact that we made the NC game, elite 8, and final 4 the past 3 years with the absolute destruction of injuries says an incredible amount about the team that was healthy.

Add in a TON of talent coming back from injury, not to mention the freshmen, and just WOW. I have a feeling we aren't done with recruiting - with Amari transferring, there is another spot opening. We will see tho. I think maybe the coaches would LIKE to get someone, but I'm not sure if there actually is anyone. We will see!

Looking forward to being bad for basketball next year and beyond again!!

Reaction Score
1000009778.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Detailed scouting report on Sarah from last year:

Just a sample:

When watching her game, it is easy to see why she is regarded as one of the top players in the country with her skill set and how she can be used on the court. At times, she looks like a cheat code, as she shows the ability to be a huge dominant presence down in the post but also stretches the floor with her ball handling, her shot-making capability, and her ability to be a playmaker at 6�2.

Reaction Score
It's scary how good she is. Her poise.. wow... what's more amazing is, at her age, her decision making skills when she is about to shoot or pass. She is a real life cheat code. Add in what she will learn under Geno, just mind blowing.
This film clip ( # 18 ABOVE) of Sarah Strong at the USA 3X3 training camp reminds me (somewhat)
of Ashley Owusu during her freshman year at Maryland.... but UCONN is NOT MARYLAND!!..
The four years for Sarah should be MAGNIFICIENT! GO SARAH, bring that game to Storrs!

Reaction Score
This film clip ( # 18 ABOVE) of Sarah Strong at the USA 3X3 training camp reminds me (somewhat)
of Ashley Owusu during her freshman year at Maryland.... but UCONN is NOT MARYLAND!!..
The four years for Sarah should be MAGNIFICIENT! GO SARAH, bring that game to Storrs!
Couldn't get over her soft, deadly shots from 3. Looks like a lethal player. Now that I've seen a number of her tapes, I'm all in on Sarah. Think they can keep her out of the starting lineup? Dream on.......

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sarah Strong is a unicorn:

Coach Chad Revelle isn’t afraid to take big swings when he describes Sarah Strong. After three seasons coaching the No. 1 recruit in the class of 2024, he’s comfortable making analogies to Hall of Famer Magic Johnson, two-time NBA MVP Nikola Jokic.

But his favorite comparison for his star forward at Grace Christian School in Sanford, North Carolina, doesn’t even exist.

“She’s a unicorn, and that’s not just my quote. Other college coaches have made that comment to me, everybody that sees her (does),” Revelle said. “She’s a unicorn because she has such a complete skillset … And her competitive edge, I’ve never coached a player that has the ability to lock in like she does when it’s time to get after it. She takes over.”

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Additional tidbit from the Unicorn Sarah article:

There are shades of the Huskies’ legend in Strong’s young game: Her dominant paint presence despite average size, unique game awareness that gives way to elite passing, consistent scoring at all three levels. Strong has a silky-smooth 3-point shot to complement her post play, but Revelle believes the forward’s skill as a facilitator will be her biggest weapon at the next level.

“What separates her is her court IQ is extremely high, and as a high school player she’s already an elite passer,” Revelle said. “… She’s got the modern game of being able to shoot outside, but she can find people and see things develop and pass like a Magic Johnson did. That’s what makes her that No. 1, unique player.”

Reaction Score
Just imagine... Assuming Jana comes back from her injury at or near 100% and plays like she did for Egypt... UCONN could have Jana at C and Sarah at PF for 4 Years. With the other two freshmen coming in paired with PAIGE, Azzi, Ash, KK, Aubry... man... we're in a good place!
Captain, I agree. My only concern is Sarah's conditioning. She is a big girl. Can she go for 30+ minutes at UConn speed? But this is a minor concern for 2 reasons:

A) it's relatively easy to fix (with a lot of work), and

B) if she can only go at full speed for 15 or 20 minutes, as you have pointed out, there's a couple of other kids on that team who are pretty good.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
From today's new Ct Post piece which is subscription based. There may be a free link at some point.

Ziebell and Cheli also admit they teased Strong during the McDonald’s All-American game in late March to join them in Storrs.

“Oh my gosh, we were so hyped when we heard,” Cheli said of Strong’s commitment. “We’re both super excited and we just can’t wait.”

Revelle thinks the Storrs’ campus also helped solidify Strong’s decision. Yes, UConn women’s basketball is one of the most iconic basketball programs of all time, but the Storrs campus gives her comfort to be herself and not get stuck in the giant, hustle-and-bustle-like campus of other big programs.

“She really could be the greatest player to ever play college basketball,” Revelle said. “… I think even some of the other schools that recruited her, they were too too big. They were too ostentatious. They were too flashy, if that makes sense, for Sarah’s personality. So, this is a perfect fit.”

Reaction Score
Captain, I agree. My only concern is Sarah's conditioning. She is a big girl. Can she go for 30+ minutes at UConn speed? But this is a minor concern for 2 reasons:

B) if she can only go at full speed for 15 or 20 minutes, as you have pointed out, there's a couple of other kids on that team who are pretty good.
I suspect that if Geno or Chris are concerned about Sarah's conditioning they have already given her "suggestions" on what to do BEFORE she reports for Summer workouts at UCONN.

Reaction Score
So glad we landed her. Time will tell, but there are #1's, and then there are #1's. Meaning different levels of #1 recruits.

I think we can all acknowledge that Dee, Maya, Stewie, and Paige are the holy grail of #1 recruits. Tina is #1A IMHO (was NPOY her senior season). KML had a tremendous college career. Sue probably should have been a #1 recruit...

I'm not going to try to rank all the #1 recruits we've gotten, but while all of them were at least really good, only a handful were/are great.

Having said that, I'm over the moon. Love everything I've read about the kid. Love that she took her time. Love that she was high on UConn from the start. Love that Geno and the staff were patient with her. Love the comments about Geno and Morgan telling her areas they thought she could improve while still in HS (while other coaches just told her how great she is).

I'm praying that UConn is 100% healthy next season. I think at least 1 or 2 injured players won't be ready to go out the gate (maybe Azzi?), but the fact that we made the NC game, elite 8, and final 4 the past 3 years with the absolute destruction of injuries says an incredible amount about the team that was healthy.

Add in a TON of talent coming back from injury, not to mention the freshmen, and just WOW. I have a feeling we aren't done with recruiting - with Amari transferring, there is another spot opening. We will see tho. I think maybe the coaches would LIKE to get someone, but I'm not sure if there actually is anyone. We will see!

Looking forward to being bad for basketball next year and beyond again!!
Great article in today’s Ct Post about Sara Strong and how she decided on UConn.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Per the detailed article on ESPN with a comment regarding conditioning:
She vividly remembers discussing her development needs with the UConn staff during recruiting to ultimately help reach her potential.
"I can remember Geno [and assistant coaches Jamelle Elliott and Morgan Valley] coming to this little gym in 10th grade," she said. "UConn kept it real. They would tell me what I need to work on -- they would just tell me I need to get in better shape and now they've noticed a difference. Some coaches would be like, 'You're so good,' and obviously I know I'm not ready to be at the college level [currently]. I just like that they kept it honest."

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Another random thought from the past. Remember when SC and LSU and other schools were popping up at her games and there was some freaking out here on the BY, questioning if Geno or any of the staff were at the games? Well, these quotes from the courant and ctinsider articles makes it all make sense:

“She doesn’t want all the flash. Some schools fell off her radar because it was just too much. Too much flash, too much overselling,” Revelle said. “She’s like ‘Hey, I just want to be in a place where I feel like it’s family, where I feel I’m going to be developed.
Though UConn’s history made it an early front-runner, Strong was methodical about her recruiting process. She was determined explore all her options without getting swept away by the rows of banners at Gampel Pavilion, but Revelle said the Huskies stood out anyway. The first time he met Auriemma was on a visit to Grace Christian, and Strong wasn’t even available to see the Huskies coach.
Instead they spent three hours touring campus and chatting in Revelle’s office, and the Crusaders coach could see exactly why Strong resonated with Auriemma. Before he left, Revelle said the UConn legend asked for a local barbecue recommendation.

And this, which says it all -

Yet, one staff remained present the whole time. They reached out early and continued to do so throughout her entire recruitment process. They were straight up with her when they told her what areas of the game she needed to work on and how far they could take her. They created genuine relationships with Revelle and Strong’s family, proving they cared about her off the court just as much as on it.

Revelle said Auriemma and members of the UConn staff came down to visit Strong several times throughout the past couple years. Auriemma made it an effort to always be around and to be transparent with Strong. His genuineness the ultimate selling point.

Reaction Score
Yes, and that’s my point. We need some good 6-4, 6-5 bigs, to go up against the best. Jana El Alfy is 6-5, but she‘s recovering from an ACL tear, and hasn’t yet played a minute.
Jana had an Achilles injury. We know Nykesha Sales and Breanna Stewart each came back ok from that. I’m expecting big things from her, if she plays with the same energy she shows on the bench.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Another random thought from the past. Remember when SC and LSU and other schools were popping up at her games and there was some freaking out here on the BY, questioning if Geno or any of the staff were at the games? Well, these quotes from the courant and ctinsider articles makes it all make sense:

“She doesn’t want all the flash. Some schools fell off her radar because it was just too much. Too much flash, too much overselling,” Revelle said. “She’s like ‘Hey, I just want to be in a place where I feel like it’s family, where I feel I’m going to be developed.
Though UConn’s history made it an early front-runner, Strong was methodical about her recruiting process. She was determined explore all her options without getting swept away by the rows of banners at Gampel Pavilion, but Revelle said the Huskies stood out anyway. The first time he met Auriemma was on a visit to Grace Christian, and Strong wasn’t even available to see the Huskies coach.
Instead they spent three hours touring campus and chatting in Revelle’s office, and the Crusaders coach could see exactly why Strong resonated with Auriemma. Before he left, Revelle said the UConn legend asked for a local barbecue recommendation.

And this, which says it all -

Yet, one staff remained present the whole time. They reached out early and continued to do so throughout her entire recruitment process. They were straight up with her when they told her what areas of the game she needed to work on and how far they could take her. They created genuine relationships with Revelle and Strong’s family, proving they cared about her off the court just as much as on it.

Revelle said Auriemma and members of the UConn staff came down to visit Strong several times throughout the past couple years. Auriemma made it an effort to always be around and to be transparent with Strong. His genuineness the ultimate selling point.

I wonder if Dawn bringing the entire staff was actually a turn-off, rather than a positive?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I wonder if Dawn bringing the entire staff was actually a turn-off, rather than a positive?
Hmm. I guess my analogy would be a team that plays consistent defense the whole game, rather than implement a full court press at the end of the game to attempt to steal a win. :D

Reaction Score
Sarah will be a strong force at the low post …together with Ice to support Jana . We need a strong bodies down low post especially when we play against physical teams like the South Carolina…

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Sarah will be a strong force at the low post …together with Ice to support Jana . We need a strong bodies down low post especially when we play against physical teams like the South Carolina…
I read where she does not want to spend most of her minutes in the low post. She is not a Center. Milford, I think it did turn her off. When I read what SC did, I figured it would either win her over are turn her off. I was hoping it would turn her off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom