Sacred Heart Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sacred Heart Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I just listened to the presser...Mora continues to bash the offense after every game. He started out the presser positive...someone said something positive about the offense and it seemed to really irritate him.

I know he wants to fix it with portal players but I don't see how Charlton survives.
How many passes did Charlton drop?

Reaction Score
Always good to get a win, especially comfortably and on senior day. The defense played well. Charlton didn’t do anything to help his job security IMO.
Guy can’t run an offense. Loads of stupid play calls that unnecessarily killed possessions. What is obvious is we are SLOW and still got caught trying to beat the edge on an FCS team.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I just listened to the presser...Mora continues to bash the offense after every game. He started out the presser positive...someone said something positive about the offense and it seemed to really irritate him.

I know he wants to fix it with portal players but I don't see how Charlton survives.
It just baffles me as to why Charlton was not let go before the season ended. It was clear as day that the offense was not working and needed a different direction. A new QB was not giving us the new direction we needed but was a huge help. Was it a financial strain that we couldn't let him go midseason? Does he have dirt on Mora? Is he essential to getting a recruit? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Guy can’t run an offense. Loads of stupid play calls that unnecessarily killed possessions. What is obvious is we are SLOW and still got caught trying to beat the edge on an FCS team.
This is what surprised me the most today. I just wanted them to run straight ahead today - just bully Sacred Heart. And of course Charlton tried to get the offense to the edge because that’s his fetish. Unfortunately, we just could not get to the edge with any consistency against Sacred Heart.

Being slow on offense and having an OC whose play calling emphasizes our slowness is just a bad combo.

Reaction Score
People have talked about separation, speed,… all season. In my opinion the problem is the scheme and play calling. Most open WRs in college get separation through scheme and play calling although athleticism helps as well. Don’t get me wrong, better players would help (there are too many mistakes as well) but the scheme calls for slow developing runs which is hard to be consistently successful and leads to stalled drives even against SHU. That said, I don’t think Charlton’s offense has a chance to work without a running QB to force the D to think about defending him.

Reaction Score
Two plays. One first half one in the second half we run an end around and no one blocks #0 and he destroys the ball carrier in the backfield. How does that happen? How does our running game drop off so badly with only a personel change at center in the offseason? No one in the program has addressed this publicly. No one watching can miss the chances a good running QB would have to run when we are on offense and yet we always hand off to a RB. We have no plays for a TE on the line of scrimmage to run down a seam for a quick pass or a longer throw. Joly is a big wideout who lines up inside often but not with his hand in the dirt.. We had better move heaven and earth to keep him. Other posters have mentioned route scheme to get players open on pass plays. We need to improve in this area bigtime. Watching Sacred Heart run wideout sideline bubble screens and we completely stink at them was maddening. We do not put receivers out on the edge that block well and there's the problem. It's game 11. Sheesh

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Roberson really stares down his target. It looked like he only had one read on every play, and a good safety could read his eyes like a book. Luckily they were only play against Sacred Heart

Reaction Score
There were more fans there than I expected which was good to see. The sun made it a great game day. The field again was in outstanding condition. A couple guys behind me thought it was field turf.

Reaction Score

They should have had 50+ today. Offense wasn’t that great imo.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Roberson really stares down his target. It looked like he only had one read on every play, and a good safety could read his eyes like a book. Luckily they were only play against Sacred Heart
And he will throw into double or triple coverage without looking at his second read.

I think that's why Fagnano started this season. Roberson makes questionable decisions.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
And he will throw into double or triple coverage without looking at his second read.

I think that's why Fagnano started this season. Roberson makes questionable decisions.
And it makes it double strange that Zion can’t even get a snap. At halftime we knew Sacred Heart could not make up a 21 point deficit - let the kid play.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
It just baffles me as to why Charlton was not let go before the season ended. It was clear as day that the offense was not working and needed a different direction. A new QB was not giving us the new direction we needed but was a huge help. Was it a financial strain that we couldn't let him go midseason? Does he have dirt on Mora? Is he essential to getting a recruit? I can't figure it out for the life of me.
All will be revealed at season's end, or maybe not. If Charlton is still the OC by Spring, that tells me we're screwed next Fall. Spanos was let go before last season despite having a relationship with Mora. How Charlton lasted this long is an utter mystery.

Reaction Score
We do look slow at times. But the players — overwhelmingly the same players — weren’t too slow to go 6-6 last year. Why is that. How can the defense return 8.5 starters (counting Shearin as a half) and be this much slower? How can the offense have pushed two starters — Z. Turner and Clercius — and one rotation sub — Flynn — to the bench and gotten this much slower?

There has to be more here than that. Especially on D where we weren’t too slow for utterly dominating defensive performances against BC and Fresno State last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Two plays. One first half one in the second half we run an end around and no one blocks #0 and he destroys the ball carrier in the backfield. How does that happen? How does our running game drop off so badly with only a personel change at center in the offseason? No one in the program has addressed this publicly. No one watching can miss the chances a good running QB would have to run when we are on offense and yet we always hand off to a RB. We have no plays for a TE on the line of scrimmage to run down a seam for a quick pass or a longer throw. Joly is a big wideout who lines up inside often but not with his hand in the dirt.. We had better move heaven and earth to keep him. Other posters have mentioned route scheme to get players open on pass plays. We need to improve in this area bigtime. Watching Sacred Heart run wideout sideline bubble screens and we completely stink at them was maddening. We do not put receivers out on the edge that block well and there's the problem. It's game 11. Sheesh
Two excellent observations about the O-line and TE. I just looked up the numbers on TE. We have 9 tight end's listed on our roster. Take out Joly because he's really playing WR. Over 11 games our tight ends, excluding Joly, have caught a whopping 2 passes!! Louis Hansen, 1 catch for 18 yards and Nick Harris, 1 catch for 4 yards. An entire element of offense totally non-existent.

Looking at the numbers led me to special teams. Through 11 games we've returned a total of 11 punts for 40 yards. Our opponents have returned 21 punts for 238 yards. McFadden is 50% on his FG attempts this season and 1-6 from 40-49 yards. Expected better from a 5-star kicker, but I don't believe he's the same since the ACL injury.

Reaction Score
I don’t know if anyone read the articles from the players perspective, a reporter told Cam Edwards about Mora not having much to say about the victory and Edwards replied “you never know with him and his emotions and how he feels” this is striking a nerve for me. Like do some of these kids not feel what Mora is feeling? If anything the response should be yea it’s great to win but we should have dropped 60 points on them or we left too many points on the board … maybe I’m reading into it too much, but is almost as if Mora is letting the fanbase know some of the kids on the team do not have the killer instinct mindset that he wants on being able to physically and mentally outmatch their opponent. Also doesn’t help that our OC handicaps our offense and does not come out aggressive with the playcalling. Also TQ is good statistically speaking with having good wr’s like Joly and Ross, but he can’t go through his progression and he’s single handly slowing the offense down by not running with his feet more.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Nice to see TR run a bit. Would like to see more of that. And the toss up kicker slot is puzzling. Nice 50+ yarder by McFadden with the wind. The 40 yarder not so much.
Why the back and forth with Ruelas with no announcement prior?

Reaction Score
Mora was right! That offense performance was ok but but certainly not great. There were some drop passes and some terrible thrown balls. If we are going to beat Umass next week the offense has to be better!
The staff has 1 week to fix the offense or we go 2-10. Scoring 31 points at home against SHU translates to about 13-17 against UMass on the road and that won't be enough, especially now that we are without a starting DB.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
What a joke anyone who is praising this dumpster fire of a team for beating one of the worst FCS teams in the land, (let alone the state) . Lucky we didn't schedule Holy Cross, Villanova or Yale as our "body bag" game this year :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom