Recruiting Boost? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Boost?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hurley and the staff just earned enormous credibility when they are recruiting, whether from HS or the portal. They had a plan, recruited to it, and executed. When he tells players that they can come to UConn and play on the biggest stage for championships, they have the proof that it can happen. He did great without it, but more doors will be open and more players receptive.
I read a few quotes on the Kentucky board lamenting the fact that UConn is the new "it" school.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Exactly. I was writing to a Syracuse friend of mine. I told him their new coach needs to adapt the Hurley method:

• Establish a recruiting strategy and geographical strategy
  • Bring on Assistants who have strong relationships in those geographies
  • After that...good luck LOL

'That's great as long as Hurley doesn't try to build a team with one and done players.

Reaction Score
That has nothing to do with with him pulling a monster class coming off a title. That's all.
Not sure which class you're saying was the "monster class" coming off a title. It sure wasn't 2014 or 2015, so maybe you meant 2016?

The 2014 freshmen were Daniel Hamilton and Rakim Lubin.

The 2015 freshmen were Jalen Adams and Steven Enoch.

The "monster class" you seem to be referencing must be the freshmen that enrolled in the Fall of 2016: Gilbert, Vital, Jackson, Durham and Diarra.

Reaction Score
'That's great as long as Hurley doesn't try to build a team with one and done players.

We are in the sweet spot and I’m sure Hurley realizes. Focus on the 25-75 range with some program guys mixed in and then a 1 and done every year or two. Ross is was such an awesome land because you can tel from his quotes that the staff was upfront about PT. And then he goes and kinda blows up.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Not sure which class you're saying was the "monster class" coming off a title. It sure wasn't 2014 or 2015, so maybe you meant 2016?

The 2014 freshmen were Daniel Hamilton and Rakim Lubin.

The 2015 freshmen were Jalen Adams and Steven Enoch.

The "monster class" you seem to be referencing must be the freshmen that enrolled in the Fall of 2016: Gilbert, Vital, Jackson, Durham and Diarra.
Correct 2016. That was the first full recruiting cycle that had a NC behind it.
Recruiting cycle how does it work? How can you even mention 2014 class off a spring of 14 Championship?

Reaction Score
We are in the sweet spot and I’m sure Hurley realizes. Focus on the 25-75 range with some program guys mixed in and then a 1 and done every year or two. Ross is was such an awesome land because you can tel from his quotes that the staff was upfront about PT. And then he goes and kinda blows up.
Runner, it that's not his strategy, then damn he should be picking roulette numbers for me.

Danny has found the sweet spot and now he has even greater credibility in recruiting kids in that space. Castle is our "one and done" next year and maybe Boogie Fland will be one, too. But Ball and Ross are great developmental kids for year 2.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I was writing to a Syracuse friend of mine. I told him their new coach needs to adapt the Hurley method:

You lost me at you had a Syracuse friend.

Reaction Score

The problem with Cuse's hire is that there's no excitement there. There's no fresh blood. You can't change the narrative. The narrative is the old narrative.

You need to resuscitate a program using the cachet and connections of the new coach until they can get the excitement going around winning at the school. Then you can build a perpetual winning/recruiting machine. But you need that initial spark to get the whole thing going. Hurley had that. Cooley should have that at GTown. Pitino definitely has it.

Autry was already recruiting for the school. What's going to really change? What was the last program that was floundering and on the downslope and promoted an internal assistant and recovered quickly?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The problem with Cuse's hire is that there's no excitement there. There's no fresh blood. You can't change the narrative. The narrative is the old narrative.

You need to resuscitate a program using the cachet and connections of the new coach until they can get the excitement going around winning at the school. Then you can build a perpetual winning/recruiting machine. But you need that initial spark to get the whole thing going. Hurley had that. Cooley should have that at GTown. Pitino definitely has it.

Autry was already recruiting for the school. What's going to really change? What was the last program that was floundering and on the downslope and promoted an internal assistant and recovered quickly?
Is Autry running the tired old 2 3 zone?

Reaction Score
Until now, Hurley's biggest strength was his ability to recruit high caliber kids. After this run, that will only get better. He now has evidence for what he preaches and sells which should scare other coaches.

Reaction Score

Don't give them advice. My advice to them is, keep doing what you're doing.

Reaction Score

In addition to the hilarity of their posts about the "beef" between Hurley and Jackson that's going to cause Jackson to portal to Syracuse this summer, I also really get a kick out of their absolute certainty that Autry is going to "crush" Hurley on the recruiting trail and that, while Pitino and St. Johns might be a force to contend with, they have absolutely no doubt that Syracuse will take whatever recruits they want from UConn.

Reaction Score
This tweet by Fonta is recruiting gold and I am blown away by the great Ray Allen response.

Is ray ray saying uconn is boring as hell so all he did was practice and got better?
lol

Reaction Score
Is ray ray saying uconn is boring as hell so all he did was practice and got better?
lol
Yeah, but Ray left 27 years ago, so not exactly yesterday. He's right though that UConn isn't a good fit for every recruit.....just the championship ones.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think Hurley is more Jay Wright than Calipari.
In a lot of ways I think Hurley is Jay Wright with less style but more substance. I believe this is a good thing

Reaction Score
Yeah, but Ray left 27 years ago, so not exactly yesterday. He's right though that UConn isn't a good fit for every recruit.....just the championship ones.
I was absolutely joking and a student at the same time ray was there.. not much going on in Storrs

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn is a Northeastern school that recruits Northeastern kids. And those kids didn't see the rivalries (East Carolina, Tulsa, SMU, Tulane) as exciting. Plus their parents couldn't drive to see those games.

We struggled to recruit out of the AAC. Put the Big East label on our back again...and the players were magnetically drawn back.

It's true that other schools (Houston, notably) did recruit well, but it was in their backyard. As the NE outpost, the AAC just wasn't a fit. Our only true close geographical rivals were Cincinnati and Temple, and those did nothing to inspire.

It may not be the answer that people like, but it's the truth/fact.
It is the truth all of our natural rivalries went out the window and the southern schools did not exactly promote us in the conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom