Recruiting Boost? | The Boneyard

Recruiting Boost?

Reaction Score
I would think that this run has to boost our recruiting quite a bit. Coach Hurley has already leveled-up as far as recruting goes, but the team's style of play and success thus far in the NCAAT has to help even more. Love that Hurley has been promoting the BE as the best conference, but really loved Andre's comments about how the team has such great coaches. It's surprisingly rare to hear players speak that way about their coaches.

The Big East helped us by inviting us back, and now we're paying it back.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley is showing he recruits players with a specific purpose or function related to how they fit into his system. I doubt there’s much complaining about pt.
So now hopefully recruits will know if DH wants them he’s got something in mind on how to best utilize their talent and skill sets, and he gets more of the players he wants.
I think it’s much more interesting than chasing stars and burger boys. This run is much more fun for UCONN fans than any of the blue bloods.
Pretty much what Calhoun did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Hurley is showing he recruits players with a specific purpose or function related to how they fit into his system. I doubt there’s much complaining about pt.
So now hopefully recruits will know if DH wants them he’s got something in mind on how to best utilize their talent and skill sets, and he gets more if the players he wants.
I think it’s much more interesting than chasing stars and burger boys. This run is much more fun for UCONN fans than any of the blue bloods.

We are a Blue Blood. wtf

Reaction Score
We are a Blue Blood. wtf
That wasn’t the point I was trying to make. There’s another thread out there for that.
I’ll chime in anyway. I think we are the closest thing to bring the next blue blood. If Hurley gets a couple championships the argument is there. You’ve got to have sustained success with more than one coach. Thompson’s Georgetown? Tarks UNLV? Donovan’s Florida? Not blue bloods. People now doubt Wooden’s UCLA or Knights Indiana.

Reaction Score
i was thinking about this, too.

then again, it's hard to get a bigger boost than a top-5 class headlined by five star stephon castle. and he brought those guys in before making the final four. the craziest part about this run is that hurley is still at the beginning of his rise, at least in theory.

Reaction Score
That wasn’t the point I was trying to make. There’s another thread out there for that.
I’ll chime in anyway. I think we are the closest thing to bring the next blue blood. If Hurley gets a couple championships the argument is there. You’ve got to have sustained success with more than one coach. Thompson’s Georgetown? Tarks UNLV? Donovan’s Florida? Not blue bloods. People now doubt Wooden’s UCLA or Knights Indiana.

If we win this, we will be considered "blue blood" by most everyone. Reading around various team's message boards, including the existing BBs and teams that hate us, they are all but admitting and resigning to it. All that chatter is absolutely going to help us even more with recruiting.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The wild thing is that our recruiting improved every year regardless of NCAA success. We already have a top 5 class coming in next season… you can’t get much better than that.

The main thing from the tournament success will be a boost in the transfer portal. I think that Hurley and the staff will have their pick of the lot. Any guy in the portal they want, they’ll have a pretty good chance of getting because we went to a Final Four with a lot of transfer guys, the style of play is appealing, the Big East is loaded, it’s UConn, etc.
And that is going to make it so much easier for us to stay relevant year in and year out. It’s not going to be like the Calhoun days where we have a championship run, then everyone leaves and it’s a rebuild with freshmen going to the NIT. We can pretty much just retool each off-season and fill holes.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Absolutely. KO's undoing was not capitalizing on the recruiting trail after the 2014 title. I still find that mind-boggling. Some of the recruits he brought in were mid-major talent at best. I'm confident that won't happen to Hurley.
He capitalized on it, we had a monster recruiting class come in post championship.

Jesus the revisionist history in this place is too much.

Reaction Score
He capitalized on it, we had a monster recruiting class come in post championship.

the revisionist history in this place is too much.
This. The 2016 recruiting class was four top 100 recruits (Gilbert, Durham, Jackson, Diarra) and Vital. The class results weren't great for a number of different reasons, but it was a hell of a class. The next year it started to crumble (though that next class definitely outperformed their rankings).

Reaction Score
Ask Jay Bilas?

Reaction Score
UConn has the #4 ranked class in 2023, behind only Duke, Kentucky, and Mich St., so there isn't much boosting room available. The boost in recruiting really comes down to winning individual battles which ride on a series of intangibles such as NIL, playing time (i.e. how many many of prior top recruits go to draft or transfer).

Reaction Score
Ask Jay Bilas?
Quibbling over semantics. Second lowest form of communication.
The lowest form being “remember when”. As in: Remember when UCLA won 10 titles in 12 years, and another in 95, and 3 final fours in 3 years (06-08).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn has the #4 ranked class in 2023, behind only Duke, Kentucky, and Mich St., so there isn't much boosting room available. The boost in recruiting really comes down to winning individual battles which ride on a series of intangibles such as NIL, playing time (i.e. how many many of prior top recruits go to draft or transfer).
The "boosting" is consistently drawing top 5-10 classes.

Reaction Score
UConn brand is real and our visibility this season is at an apex... Selective portal adds for roster needs for next year due to our excellent recruiting pre-Tournament (Fab 5) is what's on the table..

The experience and the vibe that this year's portal guys have had can only help in future years.. 2024 and beyond is where the "boost" will be most impactful.. Guys are going to want to play for Danny and this staff

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Definitely will help in the transfer portal. Definitely will help in future recruiting if UConn can keep a level of great performance. And by great not by the impossible standards some Boneyard posters would like. But by the continued improvement of players and teams that Hurley has demonstrated in the past five years which is why we have a top five class coming in next year.

I have spoken!

Reaction Score
To be fair, he capitalized on it for one cycle, then completely coasted for the rest of eternity. But I get your point.
If the “rest of eternity” equals two or three more recruiting cycles, then you are spot on. But maybe you should google “eternity.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom