Recruiting Boost? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Boost?

Reaction Score
Did you just wake up from a long slumber? Things are going back more to how they looked before Covid in terms of transfers.
You’ll have to explain that.

In todays transfer portal every player is eligible to transfer without penalty anywhere. How is that the same when compared to the transfer restrictions that were in place in 2019?

Reaction Score
I would think that this run has to boost our recruiting quite a bit. Coach Hurley has already leveled-up as far as recruting goes, but the team's style of play and success thus far in the NCAAT has to help even more. Love that Hurley has been promoting the BE as the best conference, but really loved Andre's comments about how the team has such great coaches. It's surprisingly rare to hear players speak that way about their coaches.

The Big East helped us by inviting us back, and now we're paying it back.
Remains to be seen. Hasn't made a significant impact in the past. Calhoun won 3 titles and recruited well, but I don't know how you'd measure that. I'd say he was able to recruit better over the years, and winning championships would certainly play into that, but never came close to getting more than a handful of AAs overall. Never approached the UNC, Duke, or Kansas level of recruiting, despite actually having more success than any of them, frankly.

Maybe Hurley can do that, but like I said, remains to be seen

Reaction Score
You’ll have to explain that.

In todays transfer portal every player is eligible to transfer without penalty anywhere. How is that the same when compared to the transfer restrictions that were in place in 2019?
You get a 1 time transfer without sitting out going forward unlike the Covid years when you could transfer as much as you wanted without sitting out.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I should add that Ollie's problem as maybe looking at the recruiting rankings too much. We brought in some top 50 and top 100 guys who couldn't play. Needed more scouting
Ollie's problem was that at some point he decided the job no longer required effort.

This is exponentially sadder when you consider that until that point he worked as hard or harder on everything (including building an 11 year NBA career from nothing) as anyone in any walk of life.

I look forward to the day (but am beginning to believe it will be my grandchildren who get to see it) when we can put that era behind us.

Reaction Score
You get a 1 time transfer without sitting out going forward unlike the Covid years when you could transfer as much as you wanted without sitting out.
Limited to a single transfer now? I did not know that.

Reaction Score
Just remember guys, with the exception of maybe Miami, FAU and SDSU and even UConn aren’t riddled with 5 star talent. It’s about having the right pieces.

Bama, Arkansas, Kentucky , Duke were littered with burger boys and 5 stars and looks how they went out.

Yes, this will help recruiting but Hurley is smart enough to not fall in love with rankings or stars next to their name

Reaction Score
Remains to be seen. Hasn't made a significant impact in the past. Calhoun won 3 titles and recruited well, but I don't know how you'd measure that. I'd say he was able to recruit better over the years, and winning championships would certainly play into that, but never came close to getting more than a handful of AAs overall. Never approached the UNC, Duke, or Kansas level of recruiting, despite actually having more success than any of them, frankly.

Maybe Hurley can do that, but like I said, remains to be seen

The real boost comes from Roy Williams, Coach K and Wright retiring. I didn't include Boeheim because that's probably a plus for the Orange. Bill Self isn't healthy enough to recruit right now. Lots of the guys at the remaining top schools are getting up there in age like Izzo, Huggins, Few even Pitino.

There is vacuum that Hurley can fill.

Reaction Score
The real boost comes from Roy Williams, Coach K and Wright retiring. I didn't include Boeheim because that's probably a plus for the Orange. Bill Self isn't healthy enough to recruit right now. Lots of the guys are the remaining top schools are getting up there in age like Izzo, Huggins, Few even Pitino.
Yeah a big change of the guard is occurring fast. What a great time to be at the top of the sport. DH really is poised to land consistent top 10 classes.

Reaction Score
Let's not compare JC's recruiting to Ollie's. JC's laziness didn't force him to recruit guys based on their Instagram dunks.

You made your point: Technically, Ollie did "capitalize" on the title, by doing what anybody should be able to do after winning a championship. And then, he put the car in cruise control and drove it into a ditch.
LMAO. No, he didn't "make his point" technically. He made his point. I could say "you're a human being technically," but all it does is add nastiness to a statement of fact. Here's the thing -- facts aren't nasty or nice, they're just true.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That class was already a bit of a bust when the kids said they were coming to Storrs and even more of a bust before they got to Storrs. Durham already had a blown out knee when we were recruiting him and then blew it out again days after he said he was coming to UConn. Alterique's injuries happened after he said he was coming to UConn, I think Diarra already had degenerative knees when we recruited him, and Vance Jackson was just overrated. By far our lowest rated recruit, Vital was our best.

On paper and in practice next year's recruiting class will blow that one out of the water.
Agree on all points. It was a class that looked good on the recruiting services, but Ollie didn't really do his homework in the way Hurley and staff do. There were red flags before they even arrived. Vance might have become a useful player if he didn't think he was better than he was. I have a pretty high degree of confidence in the incoming group, but Hurley hasn't been 100% either, missing on a couple of guys.

Reaction Score
I should add that Ollie's problem as maybe looking at the recruiting rankings too much. We brought in some top 50 and top 100 guys who couldn't play. Needed more scouting
The recruiting effort was so lazy. Even without the injuries, Durham was exactly the sort of guy who is chronically overrated at the college level because of "potential."

Karaban is basically the opposite.

Night and day approach to recruiting.

Reaction Score
Another thing working in our favor is play style. The media is in love with it and you have NBA draft guys lauding our ball movement, play style and how is pro-ish. The threes, dunks, and movement is going to entice a lot of kids.

Reaction Score
Just show them how Newton, Alleyne, Calcaterra, and Diarra have thrived coming here out of the portal. And we'll need guards next year just like them.
And Joey is the only one we know for certain who won't be back.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Just remember guys, with the exception of maybe Miami, FAU and SDSU and even UConn aren’t riddled with 5 star talent. It’s about having the right pieces.

Bama, Arkansas, Kentucky , Duke were littered with burger boys and 5 stars and looks how they went out.

Yes, this will help recruiting but Hurley is smart enough to not fall in love with rankings or stars next to their name
David Byrne Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
we know another. but I already got deleted today for quoting a player verbatim, so I wont again.

Reaction Score
Agree on all points. It was a class that looked good on the recruiting services, but Ollie didn't really do his homework in the way Hurley and staff do. There were red flags before they even arrived. Vance might have become a useful player if he didn't think he was better than he was. I have a pretty high degree of confidence in the incoming group, but Hurley hasn't been 100% either, missing on a couple of guys.
I don't understand this at all, and it's been expressed before recently. OF COURSE Hurley hasn't hit on 100% of recruits. He's not supposed to. No one is supposed to. That's not even the goal.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
What an amazing two man class our last one ended up being. If either of those guys don’t end up being the immediately contributing studs they ended up being, we don’t even sniff the type of success we’ve had.

Reaction Score
I would rather have Newton or Alleyne stick around for another year then take a shot at a transfer. Just take a look at TCF's scholarship grid and you will see the limited spots available with the 5 recruits coming in. The only thing beyond speculation is the Senior night event where Springs, Joey C, Newton, and Alleyne were honored.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Let's not compare JC's recruiting to Ollie's. JC's laziness didn't force him to recruit guys based on their Instagram dunks.

You made your point: Technically, Ollie did "capitalize" on the title, by doing what anybody should be able to do after winning a championship. And then, he put the car in cruise control and drove it into a ditch.

You could hold a clinic in bad takes.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This. The 2016 recruiting class was four top 100 recruits (Gilbert, Durham, Jackson, Diarra) and Vital. The class results weren't great for a number of different reasons, but it was a hell of a class. The next year it started to crumble (though that next class definitely outperformed their rankings).
and to think Vance Jackson is still playing!!Head bang:rolleyes:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I agree with you on this. Who cares what the recruiting services say? I want Hurley to be like Calhoun was back in the day, where a scholarship offer from UConn brought 10 more major offers from lemmings right behind it and probably bumped a recruit a full star. See Shabazz Napier if you want to see how that worked.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't understand this at all, and it's been expressed before recently. OF COURSE Hurley hasn't hit on 100% of recruits. He's not supposed to. No one is supposed to. That's not even the goal.
I mean, it is the goal, just not a realistic one. I'm not being critical, I think he's hitting at an amazing rate. I was being complementary. This staff knows these players really well. They do a lot of due diligence. I think by 2016 Ollie was recruiting by recruiting service rating in part, not putting in the effort to find the gems. Got lucky with a local kid in Vital.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom