Raptors are planning to stash DeAndre Daniels in Europe for a year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Raptors are planning to stash DeAndre Daniels in Europe for a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I think the one thing holding back the D-league is the fact that the salaries are such for most of the players... if they really wanted to build it into a true minor league they'd invest in it some more. Europe pays far more... and you're not stuck in some backwater mid-west city playing in front of 1200 people.
Have there been any success stories coming out of the dleague?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
They make lousy bucks because only 1,200 people show up

Reaction Score
Funny how when it was "questioned" about the wisdom of DD not staying for his senior year, not trying to develop the consistency in his better performances (a problem while at UConn - "now you see him, now you don't" rollercoaster career, with glimnces of greatness), some fans became indignant. "He had some pretty good advisors", "His advisors know a thing or two about early entry", etc, etc.

Bottom line is even to a "mere fan", DD was not ready to leave UConn (basketball wise). He needed another year to showcase his skills. But this has worked out soooooo much better. What did we all know?

Reaction Score
Funny how when it was "questioned" about the wisdom of DD not staying for his senior year, not trying to develop the consistency in his better performances (a problem while at UConn - "now you see him, now you don't" rollercoaster career, with glimnces of greatness), some fans became indignant. "He had some pretty good advisors", "His advisors know a thing or two about early entry", etc, etc.

Bottom line is even to a "mere fan", DD was not ready to leave UConn (basketball wise). He needed another year to showcase his skills. But this has worked out soooooo much better. What did we all know?

This is silly. Whether Daniels would have been a first round pick next year had he stayed is pure conjecture, but you are assuming that this spring he had a binary choice between going this year and taking his chances or waiting one more year and ensuring that he would be a first round pick. That's incorrect. The choice was between going this year and taking his chances and staying another year and taking his chances. Even if he had stayed and dramatically improved, it would have been very difficult for him to improve his overall draft stock. The problem of not really fitting into a prototypical position based on his body type and skillset wasn't going to be corrected with collegiate seasoning and next June he would once again be vying for attention in a draft pool crowded with players that do fit NBA prototypical positions (e.g., very tall guys with lashes of athleticism), and every single one of them will be younger than Daniels next year. A high second round pick by a decent team and an additional year of income is only a bad outcome in a fantasy world.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
They make lousy bucks because only 1,200 people show up
Baseball makes it work... the AHL makes it work. The reason on 1,200 people show up is because it's not truly a minor league associated with the NBA... because the NBA as a whole doesn't invest in the product.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I have to admit I have no idea how the D-league works. Lamb was up and down from OKC just like it was the Yankees and their AAA team. But then some teams share a D-league team. Do they collaborate on the roster? What if they want different things? And PJ Hairston was drafted out of the D-league?
I'm sure I could figure all this out in about five minutes, but somehow doing research on the D-league sounds depressing.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Josh Lewenberg: Still no definitive word on whether DeAndre Daniels will be with the Raptors this season, likely he spends the year playing in Europe

(Lewenberg is Raptors' beat reporter)

Reaction Score
Gezpatcho = that was pretty funny even if not intentional!

What's even funnier is that i didn't realize it was changed until i read this quote..the mind sees what it expects to see and i was expecting ges tapo..

Reaction Score
I have to admit I have no idea how the D-league works. Lamb was up and down from OKC just like it was the Yankees and their AAA team. But then some teams share a D-league team. Do they collaborate on the roster? What if they want different things? And PJ Hairston was drafted out of the D-league?
I'm sure I could figure all this out in about five minutes, but somehow doing research on the D-league sounds depressing.

Difference between Daniels & Lamb is relevant here.
Lamb counted against OKC's roster limit of 15 players, even if being on a D-League Team. He had a guaranteed contract & a shot at making the OCK roster. Even if they cut him, he had a guaranteed contract.
Daniels won't be on be on an NBA roster & won't count against the 15 player limit for Toronto. Toronto will own DD's rights but the don't need to sign him... ever! This is eerie similar to Pierre Jackson of New Orleans. Jackson didn't want to play overseas, as N.O. wanted him to do. N.O. wouldn't sign him, nor release him, so he had no shot making an NBA roster (despite playing well in the D-League). Seems like N.O. has no intentions of allowing Jackson to make the team, nor release him. N.O. can hold his rights as long as they want & never intend for him to play for them. This often happens with a lot of Euro players, but not normally American players. N.O. needs to either offer him a contract to make the team or trade him or release him in order to make it to the NBA, but they are doing none of that. It's a bad situation for Jackson & can become a similar situation for DD. DD wouldn't have left college for a situation like this. If he wanted to play in Europe, he could have forgone the NBA draft & just left & played there. I don't like this for DD. If he goes to Europe or the D-League & doesn't play well, he may never be offered an opportunity to compete for a roster.

Hairston was booted from UNC long after the NBA draft deadline in 2013. He couldn't have been picked up by an NBA team during the season because it. He followed a similar path to Glen Rice Jr, who was booted from GA Tech the prior year & toiled in the D-League for a year before being drafted by Washington last year.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Difference between Daniels & Lamb is relevant here.
Lamb counted against OKC's roster limit of 15 players, even if being on a D-League Team. He had a guaranteed contract & a shot at making the OCK roster. Even if they cut him, he had a guaranteed contract.
Daniels won't be on be on an NBA roster & won't count against the 15 player limit for Toronto. Toronto will own DD's rights but the don't need to sign him... ever! This is eerie similar to Pierre Jackson of New Orleans. Jackson didn't want to play overseas, as N.O. wanted him to do. N.O. wouldn't sign him, nor release him, so he had no shot making an NBA roster (despite playing well in the D-League). Seems like N.O. has no intentions of allowing Jackson to make the team, nor release him. N.O. can hold his rights as long as they want & never intend for him to play for them. This often happens with a lot of Euro players, but not normally American players. N.O. needs to either offer him a contract to make the team or trade him or release him in order to make it to the NBA, but they are doing none of that. It's a bad situation for Jackson & can become a similar situation for DD. DD wouldn't have left college for a situation like this. If he wanted to play in Europe, he could have forgone the NBA draft & just left & played there. I don't like this for DD. If he goes to Europe or the D-League & doesn't play well, he may never be offered an opportunity to compete for a roster.

Hairston was booted from UNC long after the NBA draft deadline in 2013. He couldn't have been picked up by an NBA team during the season because it. He followed a similar path to Glen Rice Jr, who was booted from GA Tech the prior year & toiled in the D-League for a year before being drafted by Washington last year.

The Pelicans already traded Jackson to Philly for the rights to Russ Smith.

Reaction Score
I'm noticing alot of 2nd rounders getting guaranteed, multiyear contracts, hopefully some good news comes DD's way. They have him working out with the team in Vancouver now so they definitely seem to be investing some time in him.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Ryan Wolstat @WolstatSun · 5h
Raptors roster is full. They are still trying to find a fit for DeAndre Daniels in Europe to stash him for a year.

Raptors just signed Lucas Nogueia (last year's first round pick of the Hawks) and some guy named Will Cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom