Raptors are planning to stash DeAndre Daniels in Europe for a year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Raptors are planning to stash DeAndre Daniels in Europe for a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If deandre refuses does he become a free agent? I don't see this as a positive for dd. at this rate he would have been better off going undrafted and choosing a team that better suits his needs or go to Europe to the highest bidder.

Reaction Score
I really don't get it -- I thought this was what the D-League was for. You get to "stash" a player while having your own coaching staff develop him. This is what separates the Spurs from the rest of the league.

The Raptors don't have their own D-League affiliate.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The Raptors don't have their own D-League affiliate.

Thanks. I couldn't read the article; I don't know if it said that in there.

That's on them, and stupid.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I couldn't read the article; I don't know if it said that in there.

That's on them, and stupid.

I think they share a team with about four other organizations, but I don't know how much influence they have on the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
I really don't get it -- I thought this was what the D-League was for. You get to "stash" a player while having your own coaching staff develop him. This is what separates the Spurs from the rest of the league.

The Spurs probably have the most foreign players in the league and are one of the biggest proponents for international prospects both drafting and stashing. Quality of play in D league is also terrible.

DD should have just listened to Ollie and stayed though. Whoever told him he'd go in the 1st did him a disservice.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well he gets to do the same thing he would do at UConn, try to improve and gain consistency, but he gets paid for it. He misses the guaranteed money, but 23-year olds rarely get drafted in the first round anyways, so I'm not sold on the fact that he could have snuck into the first next year.
I guess we'll see, and I'm definitely rooting for him. I do think that if he played consistently the way he played in the last six games, he be a first rounder.

Reaction Score
He'll pay full tax in Europe. Then pay the difference of anything over $90k US in excess of Euro taxes. As you probably know Aisijimo. US tax law is the Gezpatcho of world wide tax when it comes to living overseas.
No doubt, it's a pretty bad mess of what could be a pretty easy recipe (simplified taxes) and tasty soup (playing/working abroad). Yup, a CPA benefits each year figuring out my reasonable, most advantageous recipe. On top of the inconveniences NBA players encounter playing in multiple states and in Ontario, Deandre may have the pleasure of similarly paying a CPA to help with an even more international tax gezpatcho. (intlzncster's well intended, bad analogies intentionally continued) Spain, Italy, or even Serbia or Lithuania sure beat Idaho Falls, Sioux City, Topeka, or wherever the D League now has teams, but Deandre certainly won't play tax free. Hah! ;(

Reaction Score
Taken from an article...the money made in Europe is typically tax free. The club oftentimes will pay your taxes to the country you are playing in. That American who is playing overseas may also receive credit with the United States government for paying their taxes. Further, most European clubs commonly pay for a player’s living expenses. That includes providing a player with a car and lodging. So the player in Europe can be saved from taxes and the more expensive living expenses.

pj

Reaction Score
Europe is a more enjoyable experience than the D-league, and Deandre will be getting paid. I expect, and hope, that he is excited about this opportunity. No escalators, take the stairs.

Reaction Score
I wish he had stuck around. If he played more consistently, he could have dramatically improved his pick.... regardless, wish him all the best.

One would think the tournament could have been the start of a consistent raise or steady play for him. We won't know because he declared for the draft. Wish him the best and hope all turns out well for him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If deandre refuses does he become a free agent? I don't see this as a positive for dd. at this rate he would have been better off going undrafted and choosing a team that better suits his needs or go to Europe to the highest bidder.

I see this as a total positive for Daniels. It seems he's with a team that has a real plan for his development. Sort of reminds me of the way the Pistons brought Drummond along carefully his first year. Perhaps Lamb would have benefitted from similar treatment.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The Spurs probably have the most foreign players in the league and are one of the biggest proponents for international prospects both drafting and stashing. Quality of play in D league is also terrible.

DD should have just listened to Ollie and stayed though. Whoever told him he'd go in the 1st did him a disservice.

DD is not an international player. The Spurs also shuffle players back and forth regularly. Perhaps the Rockets are a better example: they use the D-League as both a developmental league and as a laboratory for coaching/style of play. You can dismiss the D-League as "terrible," but it's better than college and you can control what your player is doing, as opposed to having them play 10 minutes a game in Turkey. You think DD is going to get big minutes on a high-level Euro team? Think again. For some players that makes sense; for others, it does not. DD would be better off playing under the Raptors' supervision, like Lamb did with the Thunder affiliate. In any event, notwithstanding your one-line dismissal, every team should have a D-League affiliate.

If DD came back he'd likely have gone no earlier than 37th. I think assuming he'd have put up 18 ppg is Pollyannish based on what we saw for 3 years. To get drafted in the first round as a 23-year old, you need to put up numbers like McDermott or Payne. Not impossible but unlikely.

Reaction Score
I see this as a total positive for Daniels. It seems he's with a team that has a real plan for his development. Sort of reminds me of the way the Pistons brought Drummond along carefully his first year. Perhaps Lamb would have benefitted from similar treatment.

OKC brought Lamb along slowly as well, they basically featured him on their D League team his rookie year and had him run their offense and ran offensive sets through him, he averaged over 20ppg in the DLeague. That then translated into him being counted on for scoring with the 2nd unit his "2nd year", which he was doing with close to 10ppg in 20 minutes of play. The issue was Lamb basically hitting a rookie wall and then Brooks setting fire to his development and giving Caron all of his minutes after he was acquired. Its really not all that different than what they did with Reggie Jackson, its just that things went off course in the 2nd half of this past season.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No doubt, it's a pretty bad mess of what could be a pretty easy recipe (simplified taxes) and tasty soup (playing/working abroad). Yup, a CPA benefits each year figuring out my reasonable, most advantageous recipe. On top of the inconveniences NBA players encounter playing in multiple states and in Ontario, Deandre may have the pleasure of similarly paying a CPA to help with an even more international tax gezpatcho. (intlzncster's well intended, bad analogies intentionally continued) Spain, Italy, or even Serbia or Lithuania sure beat Idaho Falls, Sioux City, Topeka, or wherever the D League now has teams, but Deandre certainly won't play tax free. Hah! ;(

LOL! The filter strikes again strikes again. I meant 'Ges tapo'!

I can't believe the forum filters 'ges tapo'. Even funnier is the fact it changes it to Gezpatcho.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hope the Raptors don't set fire to DD's development.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
it's better than college and you can control what your player is doing, as opposed to having them play 10 minutes a game in Turkey. You think DD is going to get big minutes on a high-level Euro team? Think again.

I agree with your overall premise in that he's better served to be in the D league, but I think he'll get more than 10 minutes a game. Euros value shooters, and for his size, daniels is an excellent shooter. And it's not like he's an 18 year old kid.

Being exiled in Europe might light a fire under his ass to work on his game though. It could certainly serve him well if that happens.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure the author of this article pulled the Daniels info from Masai's post draft press conference where he said along the lines of, 'we like Deandre and see upside but we'll see where it goes during summer league...there's a good chance he goes overseas or maybe in the D-league.' I haven't seen anything definitive from the Raptors main writers so if Deandre kills it, he could force them to put him on the roster.

They share their D-league w/ the below:
Bakersfield Jam (Atlanta Hawks, Los Angeles Clippers, Phoenix Suns, Toronto Raptors, Utah Jazz)

Reaction Score
DD is not an international player. The Spurs also shuffle players back and forth regularly. Perhaps the Rockets are a better example: they use the D-League as both a developmental league and as a laboratory for coaching/style of play. You can dismiss the D-League as "terrible," but it's better than college and you can control what your player is doing, as opposed to having them play 10 minutes a game in Turkey. You think DD is going to get big minutes on a high-level Euro team? Think again. For some players that makes sense; for others, it does not. DD would be better off playing under the Raptors' supervision, like Lamb did with the Thunder affiliate. In any event, notwithstanding your one-line dismissal, every team should have a D-League affiliate.

If DD came back he'd likely have gone no earlier than 37th. I think assuming he'd have put up 18 ppg is Pollyannish based on what we saw for 3 years. To get drafted in the first round as a 23-year old, you need to put up numbers like McDermott or Payne. Not impossible but unlikely.

I can tell you're an old man because of how stubborn you are.

If DD isn't going to be in the actual NBA, why then would you not want him to develop in the next highest-level league? Especially considering like you said, his age.

Lamb doing so well in the D-League and doing what he's done at the NBA level is just evidence that the NBADL isn't a high level league (most likely due to lack of defense). I think Lamb can be a good NBA'er, but there are a lot of instances during actual games where he gets lost, and he's a guy who pretty much dominated the D-League.

And we can argue back and forth all day about whether DD should have declared or stayed (not sure how it's being written off that he would've improved in college and yet the same people that take that stance expect him to improve more drastically against a "higher level of play") but I bet if DD could run this back he'd have stayed and taken his chances trying to improve his stock. Worst case scenario is he's drafted in the 2nd round again and at that point it doesn't really matter where you go.

Reaction Score
LOL! The filter strikes again strikes again. I meant 'Ges tapo'!

I can't believe the forum filters 'ges tapo'. Even funnier is the fact it changes it to Gezpatcho.

Gezpatcho = that was pretty funny even if not intentional!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I can tell you're an old man because of how stubborn you are.

If DD isn't going to be in the actual NBA, why then would you not want him to develop in the next highest-level league? Especially considering like you said, his age.

Lamb doing so well in the D-League and doing what he's done at the NBA level is just evidence that the NBADL isn't a high level league (most likely due to lack of defense). I think Lamb can be a good NBA'er, but there are a lot of instances during actual games where he gets lost, and he's a guy who pretty much dominated the D-League.

And we can argue back and forth all day about whether DD should have declared or stayed (not sure how it's being written off that he would've improved in college and yet the same people that take that stance expect him to improve more drastically against a "higher level of play") but I bet if DD could run this back he'd have stayed and taken his chances trying to improve his stock. Worst case scenario is he's drafted in the 2nd round again and at that point it doesn't really matter where you go.

That's funny. I'm 37. If you can't understand my argument, I'm not going to waste any more time on it. We'll agree to disagree. I think aceboon explained quite well what happened with Lamb.

A lot of people on this board don't know a lot about the NBA. That's not directed at you, and I don't want to single anyone out. But a lot of what I read is hilariously misguided.

Reaction Score
US tax laws are horrible and if it were not for my spouse I would take Malaysian citizenship and live full time in Penang just to be rid of them. At least I'm not a pilot for Lao Air or whatever. Check up and see what they have to do filing wise--nightmare. Most of my income is US generated so it's not so bad, but I'm in the minority.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I think the one thing holding back the D-league is the fact that the salaries are such for most of the players... if they really wanted to build it into a true minor league they'd invest in it some more. Europe pays far more... and you're not stuck in some backwater mid-west city playing in front of 1200 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom