Raptors are planning to stash DeAndre Daniels in Europe for a year | The Boneyard

Raptors are planning to stash DeAndre Daniels in Europe for a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wish he had stuck around. If he played more consistently, he could have dramatically improved his pick.... regardless, wish him all the best.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I hope he makes it, but I'm not sure he'll get to the NBA for a few years. Could be D-League bound after Europe.

Reaction Score
in the 2014 draft, the raptors would have been idiots to waste an early second rounder, there was first round talent deep into the second round. Daniels is good enough to make a roster spot with the right seasoning, masai and company are looking pretty sketchy after that comical Brazilian pick.

Reaction Score
He's an investment (obviously by using their pick) but not NBA ready. He'll get paid and get some experience but its all up to him as to where and what he does with it. He may get lost (i.e. forgotten) over there or may improve enough to return to the States in the distant future. Too late for the what ifs.

Its not ideal but he can at least call himself a professional ball player. Let's hope he keeps a good and positive mindset about this.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
in the 2014 draft, the raptors would have been idiots to waste an early second rounder, there was first round talent deep into the second round. Daniels is good enough to make a roster spot with the right seasoning, masai and company are looking pretty sketchy after that comical Brazilian pick.

Apparently the Jazz and the Suns were prepared to take that guy if he fell to them. There must be something that meets the eye.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I disagree. This move seems like just the right thing to do for DD's game and career.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Lesson for future Huskies: Stay another year

Reaction Score
I disagree. This move seems like just the right thing to do for DD's game and career.
It should be good for his game, going to the d league isn't a death sentence, and is often necessary. Masai really shouldn't be making proclamations like this until he sees DD play vs nba competition. I would probably be as motivated as ever after i heard that; DD could very well outplay bruno in summer league and earn a roster spot.

Reaction Score
I wish he had stuck around. If he played more consistently, he could have dramatically improved his pick.... regardless, wish him all the best.

Well he gets to do the same thing he would do at UConn, try to improve and gain consistency, but he gets paid for it. He misses the guaranteed money, but 23-year olds rarely get drafted in the first round anyways, so I'm not sold on the fact that he could have snuck into the first next year.

Reaction Score
Lesson for future Huskies: Stay another year

While we agree as fans it is probably best for him to make some nice cash in Europe which will be a little more wide open for him too…….

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He made the right move for himself. He's going to get paid to develop... And he'll play plenty of games too.

Reaction Score
Sometimes in life u need to turn to the next chapter. And just BC he may never make it in the NBA doesn't mean he's a failure. He's going to make min of 6 figures/ year tax free and travel the world as a youngster. Not too bad.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
It is reassuring that the plan is specifically for one year and I assume that the Raptors will likely help to arrange a good situation for DD (place where he can get good teaching of the game, playing time and a good living environment). If he gets to the point where he consistently plays like he did against Florida and Iowa State, he will get significant playing time in the NBA

Reaction Score
He's going to make min of 6 figures/ year tax free and travel the world as a youngster. Not too bad.
Get paid to play, travel and see some of the world, but there's no $*#@ way it's tax free. Toronto, or the team it negotiates for Daniels to join, may pick up the tax and he'll get a foreign tax credit, but there's no such thing as an absolutely free lunch with Uncle Sam nor with most likely countries in Europe. Taxes will still be netted out of the total compensation DD earns and receives. Great experience, and opportunity for DD!

Reaction Score

We said the same thing after his sophomore year. Very hard for older players to have their stock go up - that is a researched fact, Google Gary Parrish's article on the subject.

He'll be developing in Europe and getting paid, sounds like a good situation to me.

Reaction Score
Given a choice between wintering in Storrs or being "stashed" in Europe it wouldn't be a choice. Everywhere in Europe
is better than Storrs. For those who have not been to Europe, go and stay as long as you can afford it. A year in Europe is life long dream that most people never live.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Get paid to play, travel and see some of the world, but there's no $*#@ way it's tax free. Toronto, or the team it negotiates for Daniels to join, may pick up the tax and he'll get a foreign tax credit, but there's no such thing as an absolutely free lunch with Uncle Sam nor with most likely countries in Europe. Taxes will still be netted out of the total compensation DD earns and receives. Great experience, and opportunity for DD!

He'll pay full tax in Europe. Then pay the difference of anything over $90k US in excess of Euro taxes. As you probably know Aisijimo.

US tax law is the Gezpatcho of world wide tax when it comes to living overseas.

Reaction Score
A year in Europe will help him grow as a person and a player. Plus he will make a little scratch.

But right now, his job is to bust his butt and make the Raptors keep him. His job is to change their minds.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Jeff Adrien played in Europe for a year and I think we all know how that story ended. Keep your chin up DD, you'll make it in the NBA.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I wonder how DeAndre feels? If he is happy, good for him. I wonder if he has regrets. He could not say publicly if he did. But, that's what counts.
One thing is for sure. The NBA is even more of a business than CBB. If he doesn't produce consistently, he want have a Coach like KO on his side. It will be....next! I hope he shines. He has amazing skills.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I really don't get it -- I thought this was what the D-League was for. You get to "stash" a player while having your own coaching staff develop him. This is what separates the Spurs from the rest of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom