Quick Thoughts | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Quick Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The question on Newsome is if he can run between the tackles at 5 ' 7". Diaco seemed to try it a few times, though, its obvious that Johnson is option 1 and DeLorenzo is Option 2 when it comes to North/South running.

I have seen enough. Newsome is unlikely to be a between the tackles runner. He looked the same as last year when given the ball in a straight inside run play. He needs the ball in space and just a couple inside plays to keep it all honest.

Reaction Score
1. Offensive line gave up 1 sack.

2. We had 1 fluke turnover that shouldn't have happened.

3. There wasn't any self inflicted penalties like offsides, false starts or delay of game. Though there were the 2 Personal fouls.

4. Almost held Villanova to under 300 yards of total offense.

All and all was very impressed at how clean of a game we played. There was the blocked XP, holding call and those 2 personal penalties but outside that we were very disciplined.

Reaction Score
Not much to add to the great points made. Solid effort all around by the Huskies, and by the folks in the fried dough truck as well, although I probably should skip having one next week!

OK where's the fried dough truck?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I lost track of the posts where we were debating the line against Army. Half watching a quarter and half of their game I'll amend my -11/12 to -13/14.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
I lost track of the posts where we were debating the line against Army. Half watching a quarter and half of their game I'll amend my -11/12 to -13/14.
If we open -7.5, you'll drop a bomb?

Reaction Score
I have seen enough. Newsome is unlikely to be a between the tackles runner. He looked the same as last year when given the ball in a straight inside run play. He needs the ball in space and just a couple inside plays to keep it all honest.
He had some very nice inside runs last year. One against UCF, for 19 yds right down to the goal line. Johnson will get the bulk of the inside work and rightfully so, but Newsome just needs a crease and he will cause havoc for defenses.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
All great points so far. I'll just add that I was just happy to see this team finally come out of the locker room after halftime and not fold up shop. They easily could have reverted to their previous 3 year demeanor and gotten down on themselves after they ended the 2nd quarter with a turnover deep in 'Nova territory. Instead, they came out and scored on their first drive after the half. THAT was one of the best things I saw from this team. They picked each other up and came out ready to win.

Don't wanna get too ahead of myself and get my hopes really up but this was a great sign of things to come either this year or beyond. BS is the real deal it seems and his break out of that sure sack was impressive!

Reaction Score
Excalibur said:
They only had two because they had to burn one when Robertson lost his helmet.

Actually they didn't have to. They could have just subbed him for a play.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Great post Whaler. I'm also encouraged that we rolled out something that looked like a football team but there are still some things to work on. With the o-line, it looked like nova played straight up on the first drive and we were able to get hats on people and push them... very positive. When Nova adjusted to running slants to the strong side, it was little more challenging whether foot quickness or mental quickness I don't know, but it should be something they can work on. Pass blocking was pretty good throughout, BS pocket presence / awareness really helps there, as CW was good at moving into pressure. I did not see all five guys getting blown up on every play which was the norm at the start of last season -- I'm sure a lot of that is Balis. We're going to be able to run a lot more offense this year with better line play.

Reaction Score
Couple more thoughts after watching on DVR

Javon Hadley did a real good job in run support on a few occassions where Robertson scrambled.

Junior Joseph really struggled covering backs out of the backfield. He's relatively new to playing standing up. That is something to keep an eye on going forward.

Campeni forced the fumble on the crucial 4th down play, by pushing the center into the QB before they completed the snap exchange. He really is a beast at the point of attack. Like a mini Wilfork.

The OL missed a few assignments which led to negative plays or hits on Shirrefs, but overall look light years ahead of last year. Hope they keep improving.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Also saw the replay yesterday and agree with most of the OP - the only thing I'll add is that while our passing game worked against Nova, we don't seem to be close to operating at the 200 level yet. We were most effective on the quick throws out to the flats (either to WR or TE). Outside of these short throws (and the one screen to Newsome), we had one seam route to Myers which almost went for a TD, one deep ball to Thomas which was incomplete and one out route which was complete and one or two balls in the middle to Bloom.

It's tough to have faith in the passing game if we aren't able to throw the ball in the middle on more complex patterns like crossing routes, etc. to our WRs. I realize this requires QB time to throw but it is a required capability when playing a more complete defense who can press corners and take away the quick throws. Hopefully the passing game was a result of what Nova gave us and not due to our inability to do more.

Reaction Score
Couple more thoughts after watching on DVR

Javon Hadley did a real good job in run support on a few occassions where Robertson scrambled.

Junior Joseph really struggled covering backs out of the backfield. He's relatively new to playing standing up. That is something to keep an eye on going forward.

Campeni forced the fumble on the crucial 4th down play, by pushing the center into the QB before they completed the snap exchange. He really is a beast at the point of attack. Like a mini Wilfork.

The OL missed a few assignments which led to negative plays or hits on Shirrefs, but overall look light years ahead of last year. Hope they keep improving.

Marriner made a few effective blocks on the first drive.

LBs overall did not have a good game. Believe Joseph thought Vann had the RB on their first TD. Thought Vann should have stopped Robertson on the second. Stewart failed on the 4th and 2 after Campenni plugged up the intended hole. Nice trip up on Robertson though. Other issues mentioned beforehand, hope for progress.

Middle is stout, I initially thought Campenni was a reach for a scholarship but he is a real gem.

Parroting Whaler on the OL.

Any opinion on team speed?, quick feet?

Reaction Score
Our LB play will be essential to success against Army. They will be under the microscope. I see a need for taller, leaner quicker players at those positions, however Cherry was listed at 245 and he was very quick out there for Nova. Pass coverage by this group is a concern. Our tackles on O need quicker feet. Knappe still is to high and struggles to keep the rusher in front of him but it is early. Our DB's made some nice plays on the ball and that was nice to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom