Quick Thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Quick Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
If it wasn't by rule, it should be by coach's decision. Inexcuseable.

Absolutely agree. And for those who didn't get a clear view, he threw multiple punches at Villanova player. Inexcusable. There is playing to the whistle aggressively and then there is making an over the top stupid move. This was a stupid move. Forget the first half. I would suspend him the whole next game.

And Ron Johnson deserved his flag too.

Reaction Score
I actually loved the offense Coach V ran. Run and Run. Play action to tight ends, short passes to receivers in stride, and some screens.
Agree. Hats off to our oc. The play calling was good. Just maybe get the ball to arkeel more. If the tight ends tighten up a bit on the catches. Can be a great offense. Left 21 points on the field tonight. Hope they get better as season goes on

Reaction Score
Srqhusky said:
Agree. Hats off to our oc. The play calling was good. Just maybe get the ball to arkeel more. If the tight ends tighten up a bit on the catches. Can be a great offense. Left 21 points on the field tonight. Hope they get better as season goes on

I agree on arkeel, get the ball to him in space. Alec Bloom dropped a couple big gainers too. It was an excellent offensive strategy.

Reaction Score
Srqhusky said:

Play calling was very solid. Even at the end of the half, the call was good -- my complaint was that we had to rush due to poor clock management.

Nova didn't play great, but we were 3-4 mistakes away from a blowout win, and the level of execution was far and away better than what we saw last year.

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree. And for those who didn't get a clear view, he threw multiple punches at Villanova player. Inexcusable. There is playing to the whistle aggressively and then there is making an over the top stupid move. This was a stupid move. Forget the first half. I would suspend him the whole next game.

Thanks for the clarification of the FF penalty.

And, yes, under the rule, Johnson deserved his penalty, too. But it really just shows how stupid that rule is. His gesture is made to literally no one, not the opponent, not even a teammate. Why is that something that needed to be eradicated? Just wait, next year, O-linemen are gonna get penalized for lifting the running back after a TD. Why not just penalize any player who does't literally hand the ball directly to a ref?? "You high-fived your teammate too roughly, 15 yards and a warning."

Reaction Score
Bryant might be really good by the end of the year if he stays healthy.

Clearly Johnson is the guy but DON'T sleep on Arkeel.

If we don't have the taunting/fighting penalties it's a more commanding final score

D came out crazy and needs a bit more discipline and to contain the edges but we saw their potential tonight.

First time with winning record in 3 years?

Reaction Score
What ever happened to cutting off a finger for every dropped catch? Oh wait..that was ancient Mayan football.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the clarification of the FF penalty.

And, yes, under the rule, Johnson deserved his penalty, too. But it really just shows how stupid that rule is. His gesture is made to literally no one, not the opponent, not even a teammate. Why is that something that needed to be eradicated? Just wait, next year, O-linemen are gonna get penalized for lifting the running back after a TD. Why not just penalize any player who does't literally hand the ball directly to a ref?? "You high-fived your teammate too roughly, 15 yards and a warning."
Honestly i shy away from pro football because it's a joke now(thanks Brady). But If they keep the crap up like the Johnson penalty is goi g to make me stop watching college football.

Reaction Score

Fatuski yes, Johnson no. Hopefully lesson learned on Fatsuki's part and better knowledge of the refs excessive use of flags.

Reaction Score
We looked competent for the first time in a long time. Defense made Robertson look ordinary for the most part. Thought our guy played better.

Levy has transformed his body. Don't know how well he played but physically looks like a different guy.

Reaction Score
Bonus Quick Thought:

Get a fourth down video package.

It seems beyond bush league when the opponent is going on 4th down and the scoreboard is flashing THIRD DOWN!!!
Lol for real that was pretty goofy..

Reaction Score
Still a long season ahead of us obviously, but for the first time in a while we actually looked like a competent football team. Felt good leaving the stadium tonight for a change.

Reaction Score
totally impressed with how quickly BS got the team to the line on the big 4th down play. Not sure if he or HCBD or Coach V gets credit, but last year it took like 28 seconds to get the team in "hurry-up" formation. This play took like 6 seconds and they were ready to snap. Impressive.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Kind of a random thought but I noticed a couple times they had Marriner in there as what appeared to be full back? Think we'll see him get any touches this season? RB is definitely where we have our best depth but he seemed to be a promising RB prospect as well.

Reaction Score
Almost (and I mean almost) it seems we have too many options on offense to make everyone happy. Twitter world during game, after game and through threads here paraphrased - " we need to get Thomas the ball more", "how come Lucas and Beals didn't get more targets?", "we need to get Newsome more touches", "DeLorenzo needs to be in more", "Marriner needs touches" add in two apparently very capable tight ends.

Nice emerging problem to have but there is gonna be a boodle of whining along the way.

Reaction Score

Couldn't agree more on the first point or disagree more on the second.

I didn't see what Fatusaki did. But I saw at least four refs all throw flags at the same time and there is no way four (or five) guys got the call wrong.

All Johnson did was the "feed me" motion while walking away from the play and not toward any Nova player. It wasn't over the top, it wasn't in the face of another player. Guys celebrate more than that on tackles almost every down.

Reaction Score
WingU-Conn said:
Couldn't agree more on the first point or disagree more on the second.

I didn't see what Fatusaki did. But I saw at least four refs all throw flags at the same time and there is no way four (or five) guys got the call wrong.

All Johnson did was the "feed me" motion while walking away from the play and not toward any Nova player. It wasn't over the top, it wasn't in the face of another player. Guys celebrate more than that on tackles almost every down.

I will have to watch again but it looked to me like Johnson lingered in front of a nova player and made his motion at him. The ref was right in front of him so I am assuming he said something. But I can be wrong, didn't see replay.

I don't need to see Fatusaki replay. He has throwing haymakers at nova guy. And landed a couple to the back of his head.

Reaction Score
I will have to watch again but it looked to me like Johnson lingered in front of a nova player and made his motion at him. The ref was right in front of him so I am assuming he said something. But I can be wrong, didn't see replay.

I don't need to see Fatusaki replay. He has throwing haymakers at nova guy. And landed a couple to the back of his head.
I admit I don't know the "letter of the law" but i was right in front of the play and I didn't think it was taunting. You're right though, he could have said something we couldn't have heard. I'm just glad newsome made that nice catch and run to bail him out. Ended up being the game winner.

Reaction Score
I have a reserved sense of excitement........after all, it was a FCS team. But a promising look.

"Challenger" was awesome. As a nature lover, its amazing how many wild animals we learned about in elementary school and are now extinct. As a symbol of our nation, I'm sure glad someone cares about this magnificent bird that not too long ago was close to extinction.

I have no problems penalizing players for their stupidity. Its called sportsmanship. And its about discipline. This nonsense can cost us a game against better BCS competition. Set the tone BD.......make them sit a whole game.

I'm not too sure the defense is all its made out to be.......afterall, commentary has been based on performance against UConns offense in practice situations. Third and 20+ to go and the "Cats" get 27!? "D" still gives up long plays and was pushed around pretty good by a FCS team. In fact, maybe it was an allusion because of uniform colors, but it seem UConn's "D" line was small in stature......compared to the "Cats" o-line. Still has problems with mobile QB's and option type offenses. Army and Navy may be too much for them to contain.

What a breath of fresh air to see passing plays.......even on first down. At times, the offensive game plan seemed downright exciting. Just not too sure their upside can approach that of an "explosive" offense. But definitely was not the typical boring plans of years past.

I'm on board with BS as QB. After two years of practice only, didn't show as much rust as I expected. I think he can develop into something special. Appeared to be a decisive sparkplug which can help the team can grow in confidence

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Honestly i shy away from pro football because it's a joke now(thanks Brady). But If they keep the crap up like the Johnson penalty is goi g to make me stop watching college football.
Pro football is a joke, and it's Tom Brady's fault. Okay. Maybe you should just go ahead and stop watching college football too, great idea.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I was pleased people around me seemed excited, and happy to leave the Rent after the first home game with a win for the first time in 3 years
You should've been there for the UCF game last year, THAT was a great feeling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom