Quick Thoughts | The Boneyard

Quick Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
1. Villanova played poorly, it's still a good win.

2. BS is promising. If he gets hurt all bets are off. He had the offense completely organized. That alone is a huge improvement.

3. When they needed big plays they got two from sophomores.

4. If I was a Villanova fan I wouldn't sleep for a week kicking off down 5 with 1:45 left and only 2 time outs.

5. Summers and Stewart both made huge tackles in open space in the first half. They quietly shut down two drives.

6. Carrezola was the most impactful player on defense.

7. The OL has a long way to go if they are going to be competitive post Army.

8. Crowd was pretty decent. It wasn't impactful but some people hung til the end. The student section was fuller than I anticipated.

9. Bob won my heart going on fourth. Then quickly stabbed me in the heart kicking the second time. Please Bob - go for it. Even if you fail it's better than a net 19 yard punt. Show some confidence.

Modest improvement - just looking like an FBS outfit was encouraging. Wasn't pretty but a good win.

Reaction Score
Is Fatukasi automatically out the next game? Thought he was having strong game till the,brain fart.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The game can almost be boiled down to the difference on 4th and short. Bryant got to the line, got the ball snapped and converted with ease. When Robertson had the opportunity he seemed to panic and put the ball on the ground.

Reaction Score
I thought the offensive play calling was terrific for the most part. Haven't said that in a while and it feels good.

As a team, lots of room for improvement, but also a lot to be excited about. I think BS is good enough to win some games this year. Defense was a bit underwhelming, but their qb was the real deal.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I thought the offensive play calling was terrific for the most part. Haven't said that in a while and it feels good.

As a team, lots of room for improvement, but also a lot to be excited about. I think BS is good enough to win some games this year. Defense was a bit underwhelming, but their qb was the real deal.

It was improved. Would have liked to see approx 3 more attempts to get the ball to WR than what transpired. And I guess they had to run those inside plays to Newsome which never really worked just to see what they have with him. Newsome's touches should be limited to screens and about 5 handoffs a game to keep it all honest. RJ is the grinder and when he tires, try Delorenzo.

Loved all the play action which seemed effective.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Definitely not trying to be a downer, but there were some series where it looked like they gave up. 2nd long, 3rd long... Just running dives and waiting to punt. Drove me nuts, cause I thought they were moving well when aggressive... Coaches went in to a shell some series.

D, there were some bad angles and over pursuit... They need to be disciplined.

But, there were a couple of nice drives, some big plays... And a little hope.

Reaction Score
I didn't get to watch until the second half but I thought the offensive line was running the show. Especially in the fourth. they could of run 3-4 yards a Pop easily which is why I am disappointed bob didn't go I. Fourth round teo

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The TV replay only showed him being thrown to the ground by a Nova player, what was the fight all about? Warranted?

Didn't see it from opposite end of stadium but at least 4 and maybe 5 refs had flags on it so I figured was obvious.

Reaction Score
The TV replay only showed him being thrown to the ground by a Nova player, what was the fight all about? Warranted?
Don't care. We need fire. We need toughness on the team. We need the offensive line to have that fire

Reaction Score
1. Villanova played poorly, it's still a good win. Agree. They didn't take advantage of momentum and mistakes like I expected them to.

2. BS is promising. If he gets hurt all bets are off. He had the offense completely organized. That alone is a huge improvement.
Agree. Promising. Doesn't need to be a hero, just needs to keep the offense on the field and give guys a chance to make plays.

3. When they needed big plays they got two from sophomores. Especially with Myers. Was wondering how much the TEs would step up post-McQuillen.

4. If I was a Villanova fan I wouldn't sleep for a week kicking off down 5 with 1:45 left and only 2 time outs. Agree.

5. Summers and Stewart both made huge tackles in open space in the first half. They quietly shut down two drives. Yes, but Stewart is the most frustrating angle-taker Ive ever seen in my life. Can he please retake Geometry or something?

6. Carrezola was the most impactful player on defense. Stapleton was good as well. Won't have the stats, but was also disruptive and kept Robertson in the pocket multiple times in the second half alone.

7. The OL has a long way to go if they are going to be competitive post Army. Argh, yes. Run game suffered. But there were a couple of ghost-calls as well. The safety was a utterly rubbish call.

I already hate the new rules about celebration. What's the point? It's the most Macho sport in the land and you can't even gesture to no one or to the crowd??? Just stupid. Like that is something that was actually hurting or hindering the game. So many other issues with the sport and that's the one they bring the hammer on?? Petty. Tell me what I'm missing?

Reaction Score
Don't care. We need fire. We need toughness on the team. We need the offensive line to have that fire

Have to say I agree at least a little.... Only because it didn't kill us.

Reaction Score
How about our tight end play. If these guys continue to grow watch out. This could have been exploited more tonight. Same for arkeel. That touchdown was what we knew he could do!!

Reaction Score
Everything about Shirrefs looked better than I expected. Had some nice zip on a few passes and showed ability to take something off the ball when needed. He ran well and had good cutting ability and change of direction.

Whaler mentioned his poise. I'm very happy. Keep,him healthy.

Reaction Score
If the tight ends(Bloom I'm mostly talking about) make the catches and Fatukasi doesn't lose his whit and..... Shirreffs doesn't throw that intie late in the first half this game turns into a blowout for UConn. Lets see them clean up some mental errors vs Army.

Go UConn!! A win is a win is a win!!

Other observations: When they ran to Knappe's side early in the game they were productive. Hopkins was weak. Like to see what Vann's stats were for the game. Didn't hear his name mentioned nearly as much as I thought I would. Special teams....come on guys you can do better. A blocked extra point??? Vs Nova? No excuse for that.

Reaction Score
If the tight ends(Bloom I'm mostly talking about) make the catches and Fatukasi doesn't lose his whit and..... Shirreffs doesn't throw that intie late in the first half this game turns into a blowout for UConn. Lets see them clean up some mental errors vs Army.

Go UConn!! A win is a win is a win!!

Other observations: When they ran to Knappe's side early in the game they were productive. Hopkins was weak. Like to see what Vann's stats were for the game. Didn't hear his name mentioned nearly as much as I thought I would. Special teams....come on guys you can do better. A blocked extra point??? Vs Nova? No excuse for that.

I agree with this. UConn was clearly the better team. There are a lot of things to clean up, but I was really happy with the promise Shirreffs showed today. Huge upgrade at qb.

Reaction Score
It was improved. Would have liked to see approx 3 more attempts to get the ball to WR than what transpired. And I guess they had to run those inside plays to Newsome which never really worked just to see what they have with him. Newsome's touches should be limited to screens and about 5 handoffs a game to keep it all honest. RJ is the grinder and when he tires, try Delorenzo.

Loved all the play action which seemed effective.
I agree with you that the WR could've been used a bit more, but the drops by the tight ends took us out of our rhythm a couple times. Newsome needs to run the ball a little bit at least to keep the defense honest. But overall, I thought it was a good mix of run and pass. It's no secret that we want to be a run first team, I'm just glad that there seemed to be a good balance. And the offensive line was much improved from this time last year. There's a lot to be happy about.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
1. Villanova played poorly, it's still a good win.

3. When they needed big plays they got two from sophomores.

4. If I was a Villanova fan I wouldn't sleep for a week kicking off down 5 with 1:45 left and only 2 time outs.

5. Summers and Stewart both made huge tackles in open space in the first half. They quietly shut down two drives.

6. Carrezola was the most impactful player on defense.

7. The OL has a long way to go if they are going to be competitive post Army.

8. Crowd was pretty decent. It wasn't impactful but some people hung til the end. The student section was fuller than I anticipated.

9. Bob won my heart going on fourth. Then quickly stabbed me in the heart kicking the second time. Please Bob - go for it. Even if you fail it's better than a net 19 yard punt. Show some confidence.

Modest improvement - just looking like an FBS outfit was encouraging. Wasn't pretty but a good win.

From my perspective, 1,400 miles away on SNY:
1. Shirreffs is a big improvement-good poise and pocket presence, awareness of where his receivers should be, improved decision making and ball security, and he can use his legs to get out of trouble and make critical plays to save and extend a drive
2. Robertson is a legit QB and basically carried his team most of the game
3. Carrezola in a beast and very disruptive. Best player on our D tonight, hands down. He will play on Sundays.
4. Tommy Myers is not only huge but fast. He just needs to secure the ball better on the initial catch
5. Ron Johnson is good and may be great, but we need to get Arkeel in there more often to mix things up
6. Coach V needs to get Noel and Arkeel into the mix sooner and more often
7. Glad to see Max get in there and be productive. Nice change of pace.
8. Coach V needs to open up the O and extend the field more in certain situations
9. The OLine has improved but still has too many wtf moments (ie. missed blocking assignments, QB hurries and quick sacks)
10. Stewart made some nice plays but continues to take bad angles on and ends up chasing a lot of plays
11. Puyol needs to get more air under the ball on XPs or he may be riding the pine soon
12. Way too many 3rd and longs by Nova resulted in 1st downs.
13. The "bend, don't break" D mindset needs adjustment. We have good players in the secondary which should allow our DL and LBs to be more aggressive
14. On TV the crowd looked good size, engaged and loud throughout most of the game. Looked like 20-25k at kick off
15. This was not a cheap W considering the opponent and where we've been recently as a program. Definitely something solid to build on. We need to make a statement with Army though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I should have added Max had 1 touch and made a play. Guy produces.

Still punishing him for getting drilled in the backfield last year.

I do think Coach V has something to build on offensively. Let's see how he processes the performance of everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom